Windows 10: How do I Prepare a New SSD for Win 10 Install

Discus and support How do I Prepare a New SSD for Win 10 Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I think I my have fudged my install a little. I used minitool partition wizard to recover the 450MB recovery partition and may have went the wrong way... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gapi, Aug 27, 2016.

1. gapi Win User

How do I Prepare a New SSD for Win 10 Install

I think I my have fudged my install a little. I used minitool partition wizard to recover the 450MB recovery partition and may have went the wrong way about it. So..........

How do I Prepare a New SSD for Win 10 Pro Install, and what partitions should be present before and after the install.
    And what partitions do I not touch?

Installed from USB media with Win 7 Pro Key.
    I am having problems getting a Macrium restored image disk to boot. I may have something hidden, I dunno.

Thanks

:)

2. win 10 and new ssd

I found similar queries but not the answer i quite need. I'm thinking of buying a new ssd and then installing win 10 to it as my current 1TB hdd is running low on space. I'm currently running win 10 on the hdd so the question is 3-fold.

1)how do i proceed to install win 10 on the new ssd

2)how do I remove win 10 from my hdd after installing it to my new ssd

3(can i do all this without having to wipe my hdd as it took nearly a week to re-install all my games and programs last time when I upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and it wiped my HDD.

chadpalmer1313, Aug 27, 2016
  3. Migrating OS to new SSD

I currently have WIN 10 installed on my current 120gb SSD, I upgraded to WIN 10 from WIN 8 (I still have the key for WIN 8), I want to replace my current SSD for my new 500gb SSD, how can I migrate to the new SSD (note, I don't want to keep anything i
    currently have on my SSD, I essentially want a fresh install)

MontazarAl-Zaidi_703, Aug 27, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. You don't need to do anything simply boot windows and let it create partition

Samuria, Aug 27, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    yea these days Windows can recognise an SSD and set things up properly. One thing you might want to do is to disable the scheduled defrag after installation and do it manually. The built in defragger can recognise SSDs and act accordingly.

swarfega, Aug 27, 2016
  6. This does not apply to a new uninitiated SSD or HDD which windows should initiate and format/partition just fine .

I had my SSD on MBR and NTFS in the recently flamed out daily grinder PC .

Prior to putting it in the brand new UFEI /GPT PC in my specs with a clean 14905 dual boot install I tried to format and delete the MBR /NTFS partitions using disk manager in the new PC and it would not delete or format the recovery volumes at all like it would in the old MBR legacy BIOS PC .

I used the simple Windows elevated command DISKPART routines to clean the Drive and initiate GPT then it formatted to NTFS normally in Drive Manager and Windows installed normally and handled the new GPT partitions all on it's own *Party

electronuser, Aug 27, 2016
  7. I do that too *chuckle

electronuser, Aug 27, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

I have always done that too. However, I found out today that the 'Defragger' does not defrag an SSD but 'Trims' it.

essenbe, Aug 27, 2016
  9. swarfega Win User
    Thats useful to know. I was always unsure whether the schedule behaved in the same way as doing it manually. Would the scheduler know how to handle it.

swarfega, Aug 27, 2016
  10. essenbe Win User
    I am going to assume so. It can detect which drives are Hard Drives and which are SSDs. This is what mine looks like.

How do I Prepare a New SSD for Win 10  Install [​IMG]

essenbe, Aug 27, 2016
  11. gapi Win User
    Thanks, Looks like I'm good to go. I guess I need to post in a thread on Macrium to find out why my images will not boot.

12. essenbe Win User
    Maybe it is a matter of semantics, but images do not boot. You need to create the rescue media in Macrium. You boot from the rescue Media.

essenbe, Aug 27, 2016
  13. gapi Win User

Thanks, But I meant after creating an image, then restoring it to an empty drive I cannot boot from it. I disconnect all other drives and try to come up to it and fail.

14. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Aug 28, 2016
  15. gapi Win User
    Thanks,
    Its a can-o-worms but I'll open it if you like. I am new to this and want to practice restoring an image to a disk and successfully booting it up and running.
    First, please note I may be pushing the envelope because I imaged a 1TB SSD C:\ and restored the image to a 750GB HDD. I was told it shouldn't matter as long as the space is available. I'm not so sure.

The verification came back "OK". I don't know how because when I open the C:\ I imaged, and the drive I restored to side by side and do a properties they report different capacities.
    So I started doing comparison properties on folders in each drive and found several folders on the restored image drive to report 0 bytes. When I tried to open the empty folders I get,

I was going to try and populate these folders correctly. I cant open, copy to, or delete them. Not even in an elevated command prompt. I know its not what I should have to do but I'm game. I get the same error in the command line window.
    When I try to boot to the restored image drive its the only one connected. It comes up saying to insert bootable media,
    Here is the screen shot you requested.
    Disk 1 is my USB 3.0 camera card reader.
    Disk 2 is a secure key USB Stick for banking.
    Disk 4 is the restored imaged drive. I run Win10 Pro x64. Thanks

Thema:

1. How do I Prepare a New SSD for Win 10 Install - Similar Threads - Prepare SSD Install

2. How do I activate Windows after installing it on a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I activate Windows after installing it on a new SSD?: Hello, I've recently purchased a new SSD and did a fresh install of Windows on it but I'm unable to activate it. I have already formatted the old Windows installation but it won't let me use my digital license on the new installation. When I try to use the troubleshooter it...
  3. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD: I have installed a new SSD in my desktop PC and don't want to mess up making the new SSD my boot up drive by doing the wrong thing, so what is the best way to install Win 10 onto my SSD so that it will work as my boot drive.I have installed Macrium Reflect free version. Do I...
  4. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD: I have installed a new SSD in my desktop PC and don't want to mess up making the new SSD my boot up drive by doing the wrong thing, so what is the best way to install Win 10 onto my SSD so that it will work as my boot drive.I have installed Macrium Reflect free version. Do I...
  5. Best Way To Install WIN 10 On New SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Install new SSD & new version of win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Install new SSD & new version of win 10 pro: Hi guys, I am going to install a new SSD & new w10. I have got a laptop that I bought from Dell about 5 years ago with windows10 pro pre-installed. Do I need to go and buy a new copy of windows with a new product key or can I download windows from Microsoft using the...
  7. how do i activate win 10 after new ssd in hp f272wm laptop?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how do i activate win 10 after new ssd in hp f272wm laptop?: how do i activate win 10 after new ssd in hp f272wm laptop? several hours of attempts have failed. does MS really demand that I buy new license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/activation/38de0222-98c7-4339-8244-48655f258612
  8. How do Install win 10 on a new hdd

How do Install win 10 on a new hdd: My Toshiba Inspirion’s hdd has rolled over with its little legs in the air ( dead fly syndrome). I have installed a new hdd & cant load my Win 10 on it as it has no dvd Drive. Help would be very much appreciated. I have reinstalled Windows before but there’s always been a dvd...
  9. New WIN 10 Install on new SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD

New WIN 10 Install on new SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD: This is just what is says. A fresh win 10 install on a new SSD. Do not explain to me about cloning. To date I've upgraded the BIOS (UEFI) on a ASUS P67 Performance Gen3 motherboard. I've changed the SATA Mode to AHCI. I can see the drive in the BIOS. The Windows...
  10. New SSD for Win 10

New SSD for Win 10: Win 7 Pro currently installed on 126GB SSD. Only 20 GB capacity left. Plan to install new 500GB SSD as C Drive. Plan is to clone 126 SSD to 500 SSD, including Win 7 OS, before installing 10. Then install 10 to 500 GB SSD Does this seem like best way to go? Thanks 8944