Windows 10: How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?

Discus and support How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I know the title might sound a bit confusing, but basically I accidently dragged out the desktop shortcut from the quick access bar to my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mahir007, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Mahir007 Win User

How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop?

Hi, I know the title might sound a bit confusing, but basically I accidently dragged out the desktop shortcut from the quick access bar to my desktop and it now created a folder saying Desktop (similar to say, going to the control panel>personalisation>change desktop icons and ticking this pc or personal folder) and now I can't remove this folder, there's no delete option when I right click on it and if I try to drag it to my recycling bin it attempts to delete everything from desktop and it doesn't look like I can remove this shortcut (or "link" as windows calls it) from the control panel where you could remove icons such as the recycling bin or this pc etc.
    Soo anyone have ideas as to have I can remove this Desktop shortcut?

:)

Mahir007, Jun 18, 2016
  2. lacrumb Win User

I cannot add icons to Taskbar

How many picture files do you have? Do you mean folders or files? If you make a Shortcut on your desktop you can pin that to the Start. on the Start screen you can pin it to the taskbar. You then can remove the shortcut from the Desktop and from the
    Start screen and it will still be on the taskbar and work.

lacrumb, Jun 18, 2016
  3. artwithaB Win User
    Documents folder

My documents folder appeared on my desktop without my having placed it there. I saw that it seemed to be a copy of all that was in the documents folder. Not needing two copies, I tried to remove it. Didn't work. I removed the contents of the folder instead.
    That worked. The problem is that the folder seemed to work as a shortcut to the original documents folder, so the files that were PERMANENTLY DELETED from the desktop folder also disappeared from the ACTUAL documents folder. Goodbye, documents! :'( Why has
    this happened? The new "shortcut" to documents appeared after yesterday's latest updates. It cannot be removed! I want a clean(er) desktop. Help!

artwithaB, Jun 18, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Right click it and see the location it is linked to. If it is a user folder, select properties > the location tab and restore default. It should put it back in it's default location.

You could also try to pin it to the Quick access Bar, which if I understand correctly, is where it once was. Quick access - Pin or Unpin Locations in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

essenbe, Jun 18, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    If it is just a shortcut, it is only a link and should NOT delete the Desktop folder.
    I just tried and had no problems.
    I followed what you did, dragged the quick access icon to the desktop, properties was no help, because it is a .lnk and not a folder or file, or worse yet the library.

deleted in recycle bin

How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop? [​IMG]

emptied recycle bin

My Desktop is still there*Smile

*Wink

Cliff S, Jun 18, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    @Cliff S, Cliff, that's what I know too. If deleting it removes his desktop content, I thought it had to be the User Desktop folder.

essenbe, Jun 18, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    It has to be, yep*Smile

Cliff S, Jun 19, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

Maybe restoring it will solve his problem.

essenbe, Jun 19, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    @Mahir007 can you post a window shot or screeenshot of the Icon and the Properties.

I'm looking to see if it has a Location Tab like this:
    This is from C:\Users\my name
    This is the Desktop folder and NOT a shortcut.

As you can see in the next window shot, this is properties for a shortcut, and does not have a Location tab:

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I remove desktop folder shortcut from desktop? - Similar Threads - remove desktop folder

2. How do i delete a shortcut from desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i delete a shortcut from desktop?: I'm unable to delete a shortcut from Firefox and a website I was browsing. I've selected it and hit the "delete" key and right clicked to delete it. I tried moving it to Recycle Bin. I have started Windows in safe mode and tried to delete it and it still won't work. The...
  3. How do i delete a shortcut from desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i delete a shortcut from desktop?: I'm unable to delete a shortcut from Firefox and a website I was browsing. I've selected it and hit the "delete" key and right clicked to delete it. I tried moving it to Recycle Bin. I have started Windows in safe mode and tried to delete it and it still won't work. The...
  4. How do i delete a shortcut from desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to remove a user folder from desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove a user folder from desktop: Hello,After updating my windows to the newest version, a desktop icon was created with the folder which is normally found in C:\UsersThis folder cannot be manually deleted. How can I remove it? Note that the same folder is also found in C:\Users but the one in desktop is not...
  6. How do I remove Desktop and Document folders from OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove Desktop and Document folders from OneDrive?: Kindly let me know how to remove Desktop and Documents folders from OneDrive. Please note that I use OneDrive - Personal in Windows 11. There are some very big files in Desktop and Documents folders, and I don't want any of the files in those folders to be saved to OneDrive....
  7. How do I remove Desktop and Document folders from OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I remove Desktop and Document folders from OneDrive?: Kindly let me know how to remove Desktop and Documents folders from OneDrive. Please note that I use OneDrive - Personal in Windows 11. There are some very big files in Desktop and Documents folders, and I don't want any of the files in those folders to be saved to OneDrive....
  8. How do I remove a non-shortcut file from desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I remove a non-shortcut file from desktop?: I don't want to delete the file, just move it somewhere else that is not on the desktop. The file in question is not a shortcut, it is the actual file. Any help with this would be great....
  9. How do I remove desktop shortcuts help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I remove desktop shortcuts help: HELP submitted by /u/sallaD_funi_man [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l3gv93/how_do_i_remove_desktop_shortcuts_help/
  10. How to remove 'ghost' folder from desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove 'ghost' folder from desktop: Hi, i just got a folder looking icon on my desktop and i cant delete it . A screenshot snap is on drop box link below. It cant be archived or move to recycle bin or other folder, but can only be pin to Quick Access in explorer. Tried to delete from cmd prompt but not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why cant i remove a picture that accidently got put on my screen