Windows 10: How do I restore default icons from control panel?

Discus and support How do I restore default icons from control panel? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello this is my first post I installed a custom icon pack and I didn't like so I decided to uninstall it but after I uninstalled it everything went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Heartless, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Heartless Win User

How do I restore default icons from control panel?

Hello this is my first post I installed a custom icon pack and I didn't like so I decided to uninstall it but after I uninstalled it everything went back to normal except the ones in the control panel (Which I didn't get why) I did had a restore point but that actually didn't work. I don't know how to fix this so I was wondering if there was a solution to this thank you for reading this. -

Screenshot:Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
    In case you guys wanna know what icon pack I used:http://neiio.deviantart.com/art/LYRA-iPACK-622767050

Edit:I also tried removing iconcache and I tried using sfc /scannow those didnt work

:)

Heartless, Aug 9, 2016

2. Control Panel Icon Windows 10l

The control panel icon is missing from the all apps function how can restore this icon

PeterAddis, Aug 9, 2016
  3. NWFeilen Win User
    Can't choose default program

The "Default Programs" section of the Control Panel is no longer available. So how am I able to change a default program for a file extension that doesn't come from the store? Is it possible to restore the functionality to the Control Panel and bypass
    the Settings app?

NWFeilen, Aug 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, surprised sfc /scannow didn't remove them.

You could try using a DISM command to download new files.
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

Seems gross overkill.
    Failing that, an in-place upgrade repair install (see Tutorial section for method).

Suggest you get into the highly recommended habit of using disk imaging which allows you to restore your PC/disk/partitions to exactly how they were when the image was created and acts as a full backup too. Useful when your hard disk fails too to restore to a new one.

Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for example.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2016
  5. Heartless Win User
    I tried and that didnt work *Sad (Not all if it though but most of them) I am really scared of this happening *Sad

Heartless, Aug 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, do an in-place upgrade install.
    Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
    Post back the result, which will be on the screen briefly.
    Otherwise you can get the result as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2016
  7. Heartless Win User
    chkdsk C: /F didnt work. Now I am doing the repair windows thing I was wondering If I have the right iso I am using a windows 10 home 64 bit (Imgur)

Heartless, Aug 9, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

There's no point doing the in-place repair install on a bad disk. That's why I put the check there first.

First sort the disk out- if it's feasible.

Suggest you check its SMART parameters e.g. with Crystal Diskinfo to see if it's failing.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2016
  9. Heartless Win User
    I did the check disk c: /f and of course it didn't work but I don't think there was errors on the disk besides that icon problem. I guess I could create a disk image then I guess use the repair windows 10 application

Heartless, Aug 9, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    The point is you don't want to have a broken file system and then try to write all over it.

Is your disk failing? At this point you don't know.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2016
  11. Heartless Win User
    My disk is fine the only problem is is the icons (before it wasn't just those icons there more in the documents folder but since I uninstalled the program with the icons the ones in the documents were gone except the ones in the control panel

Someone suggested me this How to Rebuild a Broken Icon Cache in Windows 10
    Not sure if that will help. Also sorry if I sound really stupid

Heartless, Aug 9, 2016
  12. Edwin New Member
    @Heartless:
    That "Lyra" icon pack could very well be corrupt, or caused corruption. I've ran it before and had the same problem.
    What I did was ran another iPack, the X0.0.icons pack here is pretty decent:

http://neiio.deviantart.com/art/tchi...trio-619482399

then when I uninstalled it, it restored Windows default icons.

Some iPacks compile sub-entries for dll's, and some overwrite them, risky either way but the overwrite seems more risky!

Something to think about.

Edwin, Aug 10, 2016
  13. Heartless Win User

I have no idea what I just did but I solved it
    What I did was this https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    It still gave me a access denied however it still deleted the iconcache files and I run explorer.exe again then went to control panel and BOOM its back to normal. To be honest what I was trying to do is get a theme on my windows 10. I probably should make a disk image maybe.

Heartless, Aug 10, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Glad you found a solution.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I restore default icons from control panel? - Similar Threads - restore default icons

2. How do I remove an icon from the control panel??

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I remove an icon from the control panel??: I removed flash player from my systems. However the flash player 32 bit icon remains in the control panel. How do I remove it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-an-icon-from-the-control-panel/82a64703-bad6-46b3-9f99-b2da07fa0b3b
  3. How do I restore the default icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I restore the default icons: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/hqirdl9bkpe51.jpg?width=816&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=b7e97a636f93243d6f74b27a4f0cd3a69187e8cd I don't remember how to remove these icons or how they were installed, but I'd like the original icons back. Thanks in advance! submitted by...
  4. How do I restore sound settings to default in control panel?

How do I restore sound settings to default in control panel?: I have a laptop with Windows 10 1909. I wanted to record internal audio from my phone using Audacity on my laptop. To get Audacity working, I had to make some changes in sound settings from Control panel. The changes made were not fruitful because when I start recording I...
  5. Control Panel Icons

Control Panel Icons: Hello, Could someone explain me I obtain these new icons in Control Panel. I've installed the French 2004 version updated June 2020 Build 19041.329 on two different machines. Fresh install after formatting the drive. One have these new icons, the other not. Many thanks for...
  6. Can't fix Control Panel default view: small icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't fix Control Panel default view: small icons: When I open Control Panel I prefer the small icon view not the Category view. For the years I've used Win 10, it has always opened to small icon view. And if it was Category view, all I'd need to do is use small icon view and it was then fixed for the next time I opened...
  7. how do I open Control Panel

how do I open Control Panel: Where is Control Panel? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-control-panel/57000368-e1aa-43db-94b3-06f0e8ca9bec
  8. Default Program control panel.?

Default Program control panel.?: I cannot send a document by email. keeps telling there is no email program associated with? I have AOL, mail, etc.. how do I create an association in the Default Program control panel.? I have tried to follow instructions to no avail. Spent many hours on this...
  9. How to Customise icons in the Control Panel

How to Customise icons in the Control Panel: Hi Guys, I have been using CustomiserGod to change the icons in Windows 10, but as we know the programme has its limitations as to which icons it can change. So my question is: Is there another way to change the icons in the control panel or any icons in Windows 10...
  10. Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10 How to Change Default Control Panel Icons in Windows 10 In addition to Control Panel to change settings for Windows 10. These settings control nearly everything about how Windows looks and works, and you can use...