Windows 10: How do I restore my Desktop look and settings

Discus and support How do I restore my Desktop look and settings in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; After trying to get too Familiar with Win10 and my new HP Pavilion Laptop (2wks ago), I now find I've lost my Desktop look and settings. This has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by stubtoe, Feb 2, 2016.

1. stubtoe Win User

How do I restore my Desktop look and settings

After trying to get too Familiar with Win10 and my new HP Pavilion Laptop (2wks ago), I now find I've lost my Desktop look and settings.

This has happened about 5hrs ago, initially I did not require a password at Start-up then after a little familiarizing ''finger poking'' I discovered that I then had to use one, my Microsoft Account.. outlook.com.. password !?
    On trying to get rid of this process, is when things started to go down hill and now I find all looks as it did 2wks ago't when I walked away from PC World. So please Help - don't really want to make a bigger mess of things

Ahaa ! Restore Points - now this sounds an option I could cope with, is there such a facility with Win10...Joe

:)

stubtoe, Feb 2, 2016
  2. KenBuker Win User

What can I do to restore my desktop, settings and files when a Microsoft update last night just wiped everything away?

Microsoft update wiped my computer clean of all personnel files etc. tried to restore to march 29 2018 and I get is error0x80070005 wth

KenBuker, Feb 2, 2016
  3. LBBBB1 Win User
    What can I do to restore my desktop, settings and files when a Microsoft update last night just wiped everything away?

Last night I restarted my computer and without my knowledge Microsoft performed an update which wiped everything off my desktop, changed all my settings back to neutral, took my email away, signed me out of applications I was using like Chrome. Normally
    these updates are done when I hit Restart and Update. I did not. I specifically hit just Restart, knowing Updates takes longer and I was in the middle of doing my college course work.

I am able to get to my old files by going into my system, looking for User, clicking on my name, and then clicking on old desktop and files. Annoying to say the least. If you are going to do an update, you at least need to program it to put it back to the
    way it was for the user.

Finally, I need help with getting my system restored or getting my desktop to look like it was before. And then getting my email back. Right now when I click on the email icon, it tries to walk me through the very original setup as if I just bought the computer.

Thank you for your time, consideration and hopefully answers.

LBBBB1, Feb 2, 2016
  4. Private Win User

Private, Feb 2, 2016
  5. stubtoe Win User
    Hj Private

Thanks for the reply - but did discover there was a restore point and managed to restore system settings to 31 Jan but not sure of this date - I'm a bit hesitant to find this restore date in case I cock things up gain, is there a way I can check this without upsetting things again so I can make a note of it - Have not been very lucky of late with computers - finger poking - am using my desktop at the moment and have had Backup issues with this again finger poking but now sorted, for a while at least...Joe

stubtoe, Feb 3, 2016
  6. I was going to recommend Sys Restore (if it worked! lol)

There's a few other programs out there which are better for this. I prefer to use Rollback Rx, I've used it to restore back a few months every so often. I used Shadow Defender for a while that may be good for maintaining that state but imo I like the ability to restore to other points.

HanginJang, Feb 3, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Use this tutorial to do system restore
    System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, Feb 3, 2016
  8. Private Win User

Before you poking something, create a restore point first. If something went wrong, use that restore point. If you want to poke again, create another one and so on so on.

Private, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do I restore my Desktop look and settings - Similar Threads - restore Desktop settings

2. How do I restore my desktop icons to normal?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I restore my desktop icons to normal?: I accidentally deleted some files while trying to create some storage and it turned out like this.The apps and shortcuts still runs normally, is this fixable?...
  3. How do I restore my desktop icons to normal?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I restore my desktop icons to normal?: I accidentally deleted some files while trying to create some storage and it turned out like this.The apps and shortcuts still runs normally, is this fixable?...
  4. How do I restore my desktop icons to normal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How do I make my desktop background pictures look better?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I make my desktop background pictures look better?: I have some pictures I want to use as my background pics but the quality is terrible on them in my background. They are all pixelated and not very good looking at all. Is there anything I can do? submitted by /u/BRG_133 [link] [comments]...
  6. how do I restore my old desktop

how do I restore my old desktop: how do I restore my old desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-restore-my-old-desktop/235d17e0-273e-4cc8-8e98-40e8f2cbe97d
  7. How do I restore the visual to my photos. they look like negatives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I restore the visual to my photos. they look like negatives?: Please help. How to restore the visual to my photos and all pictures that appear on my Windows 10. They look like negatives. HELP!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-restore-the-visual-to-my-photos-they-look/db26b54b-8f20-4835-b728-e68ec4601eeb
  8. How do i restore default typing settings?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do i restore default typing settings?: thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-restore-default-typing-settings/4e36c5b8-4c76-4d33-8a46-a5c42cf7012e
  9. how do i restore previous settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how do i restore previous settings: How can I restore previous settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-do-i-restore-previous-settings/1a8341e1-5732-4f12-815f-e0a5d1885d5a
  10. How do I restore my default desktop display settings?

How do I restore my default desktop display settings?: How do I restore my default desktop display settings? I changed them, now the colors are all wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/how-do-i-restore-my-default-desktop-display/6721eaa2-21d1-4408-89a6-f355166a9373