Windows 10: How do I set file explorer one file type to accept multiple extensions?

Discus and support How do I set file explorer one file type to accept multiple extensions? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Win 10, How do I set file explorer one file type to accept multiple extensions? For example there are multiple picture extensions. I need multiple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by derbeck, Apr 10, 2020.

1. derbeck Win User

How do I set file explorer one file type to accept multiple extensions?

Win 10, How do I set file explorer one file type to accept multiple extensions?

For example there are multiple picture extensions. I need multiple music extensions.

:)

derbeck, Apr 10, 2020

2. .iso extension missing from settings/choose default apps by file type

This ties partly into my other issue of not being able to mount ISO files in windows explorer. I am getting no luck on fixing that separate issue, so maybe if i tackle it at a different angle, the other problem could be solved as well. Please do not move this issue to Virtualization.

The Issue

Basically, in my "Choose default apps by file type" settings window, the .iso extension is missing. I am running Windows 10 Home Version 1809

How do I set file explorer one file type to accept multiple extensions? [​IMG]

In the past, it was there, and also in the past, I was able to mount .iso files by right clicking, and selecting "mount". The option to mount is still there;

But gives me this error;

(this is part of my secondary issue being taken care of in another thread (hopefully)) so please don't move this thread to virtualization.

What I want:

I want the .iso extension back in my list of extensions in my settings --> default apps--> choose default apps by file type window.

Things I have tried;

• 1) Going to Settings - Indexing Options
      2) Advanced button
      3) File Types tab
      4) Add New Extension to List box, type in extension, (without a period) in this case "iso"
      5) Click OK and Close
    • Right clicking any .iso file, and selecting "open with", then selecting "choose another app", and then selecting "Windows Explorer".
    • Right clicking any .iso file, selecting "Properties", then selecting the "Change" button under "opens with" and selecting "Windows Explorer".
    • Restoring the default Windows file extension through registry fix detailed here with OPTION TWO and selecting the .iso reg file, adding it to my registry, and restarting my pc.
    • I created a "fake" extension named .isotest. It successfully appeared in the settings menu(see picture above)
    • Ran "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" in elevated cmd prompt and then "sfc /scannow" in an elevated command prompt. No issues were found.

In the registry, it shows that iso files are opened with Windows.IsoFile. Looking under the reg key, I cannot tell if anything is incorrect. Below are the reg keys associated with Windows.IsoFile and the .iso key in Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\

I'm not sure what else to do aside from formatting my pc which I really don't want to do for this issue. Help is greatly appreciated. Please read the whole post before suggesting things please.

Thanks.

forkinator, Apr 10, 2020
  3. File extension is different than file type

In windows explorer, I have a file extension .wb3 quattro pro 7 different than what the file type quattro pro 16, .qpw is and the file opens in the file type, quattro pro 16. I've tired changing in properties .wb3 which has the correct program listed
    first however, it opens with quattro pro 16, .qpw. I've went into administrator command prompt to find what extensions were
    associated with and this was the response .qpw=QuattroPro.Notebook.16 and .wb3=QuattroPro.Notebook.7

I've tired some other things, however, nothing has worked, can somebody help to resolve this issue?

Reappraise, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

File extension

The easy way is to use File Explorer, right-click on a file with the extension you want to add and select 'Open with..'. Choose an appropriate app from the lists, or browse to find the right application. Tick the 'always open with...' box and click OK.

The harder way is to edit the registry. This tutorial has .reg files to reset each of the standard associations. Have a look at one as a guide.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

If this new file association is something you wish to set up on multiple machines or for multiple users, then this is how to export and import your custom default associations.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...s-windows.html

Thema:

1. How do I set file explorer one file type to accept multiple extensions? - Similar Threads - set file explorer

2. How do I search for files based on types? not extension

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I search for files based on types? not extension: Hi. I want to search where I saved my screen record files which I forgetunfortunately, I can't remember in which format it was saved. So I need my search feature to search for any video created by this month.How do I do this? So not just one specific format like mp4/flv, etc,...
  3. How do I search for files based on types? not extension

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I search for files based on types? not extension: Hi. I want to search where I saved my screen record files which I forgetunfortunately, I can't remember in which format it was saved. So I need my search feature to search for any video created by this month.How do I do this? So not just one specific format like mp4/flv, etc,...
  4. How do I search for files based on types? not extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How do I add file extensions to multiple files using powershell?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I add file extensions to multiple files using powershell?: Bunch of files with no extensions, all in one folder. Want to make them all png submitted by /u/granitefloors [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l6wo2q/how_do_i_add_file_extensions_to_multiple_files/
  6. File Type extension Problem

File Type extension Problem: My files ,videos, music are affected by an extension type called .47lful55V all files and cant open any of the files and cant use. I have tried several methods to fix this but none of them give hands please help me to fix this issue I cant us any apps files videos music...
  7. Setting File Explorer types

Setting File Explorer types: How do I set multiple file extensions for one file type? Since this new version of file explorer requires you to select from a list of file types, how do I modify this list?...
  8. File extension relation to file type

File extension relation to file type: How does Windows know that a .txt is a text file, or a .py is a python file? I made this file extension called .pmry, and want Windows to know it is a Hello file, but it says it's a PMRY file. How do I make Windows know it is a Hello file?...
  9. file explorer extensions

file explorer extensions: I recently transferred my files from an old laptop to a new one. All of my files have a new extension similar to the following: (2019_03_15 16_15_59 UTC). What happened, what did I do wrong?...
  10. File Extension and file type

File Extension and file type: Recently I came to know the in some directories, all my file type and extension are changed to CAAVME File (.caavme). When I open, its not opening. There is a file in every directory with the name "CAAVME-DECRYPT" and it contents: ---= GANDCRAB V5.0.4 =---...