Windows 10: How do I turn off FN (function) lock?

Discus and support How do I turn off FN (function) lock? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to access my Boot Menu. I have a Gigabyte Mobo, so the access is F12. Or Delete for BIOS. When I start the computer, and the screen comes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by therealsimpsons, Oct 30, 2017.

1. How do I turn off FN (function) lock?

I am trying to access my Boot Menu. I have a Gigabyte Mobo, so the access is F12. Or Delete for BIOS. When I start the computer, and the screen comes up to select, they don't work. I did some research and it appears my FN keys may be locked. How do I unlock them? And is my assumption correct? Is that the reason they don/t work?

These are the options when my computer boots.

BIOS-Delte
    BIOS Setup-QFlash
    System Info-F9
    Boot Menu-F12
    END-QFlash

My keyboard is a wireless Logitech K520 with Unifying USB

:)

therealsimpsons, Oct 30, 2017
  2. SharmaVts Win User

"fn+esc" stopped working

Hi,

I have a dell inspiron 3542 laptop

Before to change the behavior of function keys I used to simply press 'fn+esc' which used to the change the purpose/behavior of fn keys,

but now fn+esc does nothing. I have to go to bios everytime always to change the behavior

the 'fn+esc' was very useful as i use function keys for both function and multimedia. It is problem to turn off a laptop always to change the behavior

How do I get the setting back - 'Using Fn+esc to change the behavior of fn keys?'

SharmaVts, Oct 30, 2017
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Toshiba Keyboard FN Key - how do I turn it off?

You can install the HWsetup from the original windows version that came with your laptop originally - most likely work just fine.

ThinkPad bios here;

How do I turn off FN (function) lock? [​IMG]

'Mike P, Oct 30, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

How do I turn off FN (function) lock?

Tell us what that screen is you are calling "select", please. If it's the Windows Boot Menu screen with the OS, you're way past the POST BIOS operation and the F12 will have no effect. You need to rapidly tap-tap-tap the F12 FN key as the BIOS is coming up, before it gets to the point where it hands over to Windows. Just explain a little more what that screen is. Thanks.

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  5. Thank you for the response. Since I use a TV for a display, when the computer is turned on, it says NO SIGNAL on the screen. Before it hands everything to Windows, there is a brief screen with the options I listed above. It only lasts for a second. Should I be tapping the F12 while its still on NO SIGNAL?

I will take a picture of the "select screen" and post it here. (After dinner)

6. Winuser Win User
    Is Fast Startup selected in Power Options? if it is try turning it off.

Winuser, Oct 30, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Sorry, @therealsimpsons , was eating dinner. Yes, as soon as you restart/power up, start tapping. Doesn't have to be like hammering a nail or fast as a machine gun, but steady tap-tap-tap. Say, a rate of 3 times per second, repeatedly, until the BIOS screen pops up. You're at a bit of a disadvantage because of the delay of the TV getting synced up, but it's the BIOS you're trying to talk to with the tap-tap-tap. Hope I'm making sense.

*Arrow Also what Winuser posted above about Fast Startup. It can interfere with a full POST routine, which could cause timing issues trying to get to BIOS.

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  8. How do I turn off FN (function) lock?

Where do I find Fast Startup to see if it's on and how to turn it off?

9. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  10. Here is the "select screen" I see. It only lasts a second and then the blue Windows 10 icon comes up and the white circles start underneath the icon. I tried tapping F12 continuously from the time I pushed the power button. I white dash (flashing) like a DOS cursor comes up for just an instant and then it starts the Windows boot up.

11. f14tomcat Win User
    You do have a weird one there. As an alternative, there is a way to have the system boot to BIOS/UEFI from within Windows. Been around for a while. Not hard, just a couple more steps. But it would avoid you trying to force your way in until you can find out about the FN keys. Here's the tutorial. Not hard at all. Just a few quick steps. Give it a try.

Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    Gotta get to bed soon. We can pick this up tomorrow if you wish, or maybe someone else will pop in. OK?

Good night.

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  13. How do I turn off FN (function) lock?

Thanks for the help. I have a Legacy installation of Win10

14. f14tomcat Win User
    Should still work. Tutorial is labeled UEFI, but it's intended to boot you to your BIOS of whatever flavor. Just think of it as Boot to Firmware. This line from tutorial, give it a quick try. Open a command prompt as Admin, copy/past it in, and hit Enter. Should restart and put you in your BIOS (firmware).

shutdown /r /fw

f14tomcat, Oct 30, 2017
  15. ThrashZone, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How do I turn off FN (function) lock?

1. How do I turn off FN (function) lock? - Similar Threads - turn off function

2. how to turn off fn lock

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to turn off fn lock: I own a 11.6" 2-in-1 Convertible Notebook made by gateway and my function keys don't work right like f5 is supposed to turn up the volume instead it refreshes my page on edge and i thought that it was fn lock but my pc does not seem to have the fn lock button so i looked it...
  3. how to turn off fn lock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to turn off fn lock: I own a 11.6" 2-in-1 Convertible Notebook made by gateway and my function keys don't work right like f5 is supposed to turn up the volume instead it refreshes my page on edge and i thought that it was fn lock but my pc does not seem to have the fn lock button so i looked it...
  4. How do I lock my f function keys on my keyboard without “fn lock” button?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I lock my f function keys on my keyboard without “fn lock” button?: Hello,I just purchased a Onn wireless keyboard from Walmart. My issue is I’m trying to lock my f functions keys, but there is no “fn lock” button on this particular keyboard only “fn” button. Can someone advise me of a workaround for this issue?Thanks in Advance!...
  5. How do I lock my f function keys on my keyboard without “fn lock” button?

How do I lock my f function keys on my keyboard without “fn lock” button?: Hello,I just purchased a Onn wireless keyboard from Walmart. My issue is I’m trying to lock my f functions keys, but there is no “fn lock” button on this particular keyboard only “fn” button. Can someone advise me of a workaround for this issue?Thanks in Advance!...
  6. How do I turn off the pen functionality?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I turn off the pen functionality?: I don't have a pen, and my laptop is not a touchscreen, yet sometimes depending on where I am my laptop thinks a pen is connected to it. It means that sometimes when I use the trackpad it thinks it's a pen and the cursor goes flying somewhere else or selects something I...
  7. How do I turn off the pen functionality?

How do I turn off the pen functionality?: I don't have a pen, and my laptop is not a touchscreen, yet sometimes depending on where I am my laptop thinks a pen is connected to it. It means that sometimes when I use the trackpad it thinks it's a pen and the cursor goes flying somewhere else or selects something I...
  8. how do I turn the caps lock notification off?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do I turn the caps lock notification off?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/HungryCuber [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lpzq8g/how_do_i_turn_the_caps_lock_notification_off/
  9. How do I turn off the Caps Lock Notification?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I turn off the Caps Lock Notification?: I just bought a new Dell with Windows 10 Pro. It has this annoying feature of popping up a caps lock notification no matter what program I'm using. I tried using these directions I found on how to turn it off, but I don't see a screen configuration tab at the end of these...
  10. How to turn off Fn?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to turn off Fn?: I have a laptop and usually play Minecraft on it and I’ve noticed I no longer have to press Fn to use f3 but I do for volume. How do I turn this off? submitted by /u/sandesssss [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iahvij/how_to_turn_off_fn/