Windows 10: How long does the 1903 upgrade take using Windows Update?

Discus and support How long does the 1903 upgrade take using Windows Update? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Short answer - a very long time. I had reason to take my System One below back to an earlier system image and upgrade it to 1903 again. In fact, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bree, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Bree Win User

How long does the 1903 upgrade take using Windows Update?

Short answer - a very long time.

I had reason to take my System One below back to an earlier system image and upgrade it to 1903 again. In fact, the image I restored for this machine was its 1511 image from mid-2016. I then upgraded this to 1809 using an ISO in about two hours.

Just for fun (?) I decided to let Windows Update perform the Feature Update to version 1903. Now this machine had previously been updated from 1809 to 1903 using an ISO, so I knew that method took no more than a couple of hours. How much longer could Windows Update take?

Well, it would be expected to to take a little longer, because it uses the Unified Update Platform (UUP). This is designed to reduce the download size of an update by only downloading the changes, not the full set of files as are used in the ISO.

An update on Unified Update Platform (UUP) for Windows 10

So, the download is smaller, but there's more work to do with it after downloading. I told Window Update to 'Download and install now', set the stopwatch going and opened Task Manager to watch what was going on.

The first step was Windows Update saying "Getting ready". This stage took 15 minutes to complete, then the download began.

Windows Update said "Downloading - 0%" which climbed steadily to 99% while Task Manager showed steady download progress. Network activity virtually ceased after 3.5GB had been downloaded in 15 minutes (this time is entirely dependent on your broadband speed).

The step from "Downloading - 99%" to "Downloading - 100%" took an astonishing 42 minutes, during which there was little or no network activity but a lot of CPU activity, mostly from the Windows Installer. This would presumably be the stage.

Then Windows Update first said "Pending install" then quickly switched to "Installing - 0%"....

....Paint would have dried quicker - it took a further three hours and ten minutes to get to "Installing - 100%" and asking me to select a restart time to complete the install.

Then, on the restart, it rejoined the same steps of 'installing updates' and restarts that an ISO upgrade would have followed, taking a further 40 minutes.

So, in conclusion what would take less than two hours with an ISO (I know, because I have previously used the 1903 ISO on this machine) took over four and a half hours via Window Update. I can't say I'm that impressed. At least it worked reliably, I'll give it that. And I suppose I could have continued using the machine while the update ground away in the background (I didn't though, I went out for an hour or so instead). At least I now sport a nice entry in the Update History.....

How long does the 1903 upgrade take using Windows Update? [​IMG]

:)

2. Local profile issue after upgrading to 1903

Hi roblinb

Not listed in the Known.

Known issues for Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903

As far as Wifi any chance it is Qualcom inside USB adapter, if Qualcom then yes known issue.

I might create another user (Local) and when if try again see if this issue occurs on both users.

Would also suggest you run the first 5 steps in this tutorial to see if you have any corruption with current build.

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 20, 2019
  3. Windows 10, version 1903 update failure

Hmm, this is Windows 10 1809 which is the most recent release which is now being succeeded by Windows 10 1903.

I would carry out the steps from my initial reply to reset your Windows Update components.

Also review the following:

12 Things You Should Do Before Installing Windows 10

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/prepare-comput...

Have you checked the manufacturers website to determine compatibility?

Check this List to Determine if Your Computer is Compatible with the Windows 10 1903

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Your configuration might not be listed yet, since it is just rolling out.

Ultimately, I would wait until the ISO file is available then upgrade offline using these steps:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wik...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.

Andre for Directly, Jun 20, 2019
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond How long does the 1903 upgrade take using Windows Update? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jun 20, 2019
Thema:

1. How long does the 1903 upgrade take using Windows Update? - Similar Threads - long does 1903

2. How long does Firmware Update take?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How long does Firmware Update take?: Hi, It's been 1.5 hours since I started to update. How do I know if it is failed or still working? How long does it take?? I read online that it should normally take 30min. Is it possible to know that it is still updating or failed ? How long more should I wait before forcing...
  3. How long does Firmware Update take?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long does Firmware Update take?: Hi, It's been 1.5 hours since I started to update. How do I know if it is failed or still working? How long does it take?? I read online that it should normally take 30min. Is it possible to know that it is still updating or failed ? How long more should I wait before forcing...
  4. How long does a Windows 10 update take?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long does a Windows 10 update take?: Okay so about 4 hours ago my computer needed to make updates, so I clicked restart and update and then I'm at the blue screen where it tells me that, "Working on Updates, Please do not turn off your PC, this might take a while, and your PC will restart several times."I...
  5. How Long Does An Upgrade Take.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Long Does An Upgrade Take.: How long does it usually take for a reboot/upgrade to finish if it's done from the factory? Is it more than a day or so, I am just looking for answers on this so I don't have to go mad from waiting. 177310
  6. How long does 20H2 take to install from 1903?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How long does 20H2 take to install from 1903?: Pretty much as the title says. I’ve downloaded the update from Windows Update and now it’s prompting me to restart my computer, i was wondering for anyone else who has updated from 1903 to 20H2 how long this took for them? submitted by /u/BlackMaster812 [link] [comments]...
  7. How long does the 2004 upgrade take using Windows Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How long does the 2004 upgrade take using Windows Update?: A year ago I asked (and answered) the same question for 1903. Having just let Window Update successfully upgrade the same machine I used for those tests I can say that the answer remains the same. Times for each step were almost identical - over four hours from start to a...
  8. How long does a feature update from version 1803 to 1903 take?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How long does a feature update from version 1803 to 1903 take?: Hi, I am using Windows Pro 64-bit. When trying to update from the update settings page, my computer hanged at 28 %. Now I am trying the media builder tool and the update has reached some 80 % but slowed down considerably since 75% (> 1 hour). Is that normal? Harddrive...
  9. How long does the 1903 upgrade take using Windows Update?

How long does the 1903 upgrade take using Windows Update?: Short answer - a very long time. I had reason to take my System One below back to an earlier system image and upgrade it to 1903 again. In fact, the image I restored for this machine was its 1511 image from mid-2016. I then upgraded this to 1809 using an ISO in about two...
  10. How long does "getting updates " take?

How long does "getting updates " take?: My installation is stuck on "Checking for updates 12% !!!!" I think its been like it for while. Will it get past this or has it crashed? I thought the whole point of downloading the ISO file was the updates were done directly from it. What the hell is it doing? Typical...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how long does windows 10 1903 take to install