Windows 10: How to bring back the old resizable Start Menu

Discus and support How to bring back the old resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Doesn't work for me Cheers jimbo hi did you drop the quote makes when renamed folder in registry see Bunnys didn't work either as he... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dave44, Jan 23, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

How to bring back the old resizable Start Menu

hi did you drop the quote makes when renamed folder in registry

see Bunnys didn't work either as he still on new start menu Hi there

REBOOT seemed to work - although I've now lost the Expand icon and the on off switch at the top right - don't miss those .
    What DOES work now is a search bar I can enter text into - that's worth it ALONE as I hated having to do a vertical scroll for an application.

BTW pasting text into the Forum now seems to need IE11 to be set to Compatibility mode - no big deal either had same problem in previous build.

Search Bar is fine - I needed that. Thanks -- Owe you a Beer or two. !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 23, 2015
  2. Dave44 Win User

How to bring back the old resizable Start Menu [​IMG]

as you can see can switch to start screen

Dave44, Jan 23, 2015
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    On mine, at least, I can't do that yet.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 23, 2015
  4. Dave44 Win User

did you restart explorer or reboot mate

Dave44, Jan 23, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    did you restart explorer or reboot mate I'll try again..and I'll post my results.

Thanks.
    Jeff

Edit: It didn't help. When I get a blank DVD I'll burn the ISO and perform a clean install and see if that helps

Thanks
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 23, 2015
  6. JoeShades Win User
    Can you still put your own wallpaper on the full screen start menu?

JoeShades, Jan 23, 2015
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    If it can be done I have yet to figure out how. . .been attempting, albeit nothing yet. . .*Huh

8. pbcopter Win User

I personally prefer the original Windows 8.1 start screen and it is working fine. In this build, the notification icons also load correctly as well when you switch to the start screen. Also it is much easier to find new programs on the start screen now.

I hope the option to use the original start screen will be included in the final version without the need to change the registry.

pbcopter, Jan 24, 2015
  9. mitaek Win User
    Thanks, just tried it, rebooted and all is well

mitaek, Jan 24, 2015
  10. netuser Win User
    working great here too, thanks for the tip *Smile

But now i cant expand to start screen, I guess we cant have both lol

netuser, Jan 24, 2015
  11. Vladimir Win User
    I liked the new start menu style... especially the ability to switch between full screen and "classic" style

I didn't like very much the "Search the web and Windows" feature. It works fine when I'm looking for files in my computer or in OneDrive, but gives me ambiguous results when I search for some companies sites .

Vladimir, Jan 24, 2015
  12. Thanks, I like it much better. But if we only change it and don't give feedback the crappier new Start menu may persist in future builds.

One would hope they are monitoring these changes via metrics but we found out years later they never even saw metrics for how many installed 3rd party Start Menu's in Windows 8. Of course they weren't interested in feedback when building 8. As MVP's were told quite bluntly, they were going to get it all from metrics *Rolleyes.

Let's be sure to give feedback. There is just no way this latest build's Start Menu is an improvement on the sleeker and simpler previous one - at least for desktop consumers.

gregrocker, Jan 25, 2015
  13. Winuser Win User

I did my part. I had a feedback pop-up this morning and I gave them my view of what they need to change in the start menu. I also commented on the way the updates work now.

Winuser, Jan 25, 2015
  14. This loses Cortana so I gotta roll it back and try to rid Start menu of the category headings that are wasting space.

gregrocker, Jan 25, 2015
  15. IownAmoneyPit, Jan 25, 2015
Thema:

1. How to bring back the old resizable Start Menu - Similar Threads - bring old resizable

2. Start Menu Resize

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Resize: Can we change the Start Menu size in windows 11 like windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-resize/7f5168d4-be3a-4264-bedf-31c7dda8ada7
  3. Start Menu Resize

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Resize: Can we change the Start Menu size in windows 11 like windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-resize/7f5168d4-be3a-4264-bedf-31c7dda8ada7
  4. Get The Old Start Menu Back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get The Old Start Menu Back?: I did a win 10 update of some sort a month ago and since then I've had this start menu. I don't like it, so how do I get the older one back now?in Programs I see Classic Shell, is that it? This is a desktop if that matters....
  5. Get The Old Start Menu Back?

Get The Old Start Menu Back?: I did a win 10 update of some sort a month ago and since then I've had this start menu. I don't like it, so how do I get the older one back now?in Programs I see Classic Shell, is that it? This is a desktop if that matters....
  6. Get The Old Start Menu Back?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Get The Old Start Menu Back?: I did a win 10 update of some sort a month ago and since then I've had this start menu. I don't like it, so how do I get the older one back now?in Programs I see Classic Shell, is that it?...
  7. Please bring back full screen start menu

Please bring back full screen start menu: Please bring it back . I have fully adapted to it. I could browse all my apps with a clean wallpaper with no desktop icon. A few big tiles to quick show weather while I click into folder to open my Adobe apps, Spotify, and everything up. It is much more versatile and...
  8. How to bring back the Bing search in Windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to bring back the Bing search in Windows 10 start menu: Dear all,I understand that the latest major Windows 10 update removed the Bing web search from the Start Menu. Is there any way to bring it back?I'm aware there has been a lot of complaints about this feature and that's most likely why Microsoft removed it, but personally, I...
  9. How to get old start menu colour back?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get old start menu colour back?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sir_Nexus [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/juc2i8/how_to_get_old_start_menu_colour_back/
  10. Resize start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Resize start menu: Hi Group I was able to resize the start menu in build 9926 using the registry hack. I see that the hack is there in 100041 and 100049. But I cant resize the start menu now. Anyone else have this problem. Thanks. 5160