Windows 10: How to click the 'Download and Install' Windows Update button from command prompt / PS?

Discus and support How to click the 'Download and Install' Windows Update button from command prompt / PS? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We and apparently many others have been having issues installing the latest round of Windows Updates 1903 & 1909. For whatever reason, the user is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ejacobsen12, Feb 28, 2020.

1. How to click the 'Download and Install' Windows Update button from command prompt / PS?

We and apparently many others have been having issues installing the latest round of Windows Updates 1903 & 1909. For whatever reason, the user is required to manually click this 'Download and install' button to initiate the update. This is not the same button as the 'Check for Updates' which can be run remotely with usoclient or Get-WUInstall. We have been unable to find way to click this button and start the process, other than manually clicking it, or by installing the Windows10Upgrade.exe on each device and running silently in the background this hasn't been completely reliable however.

Don't understand why this update button was suddenly rolled out by Microsoft. And seemingly without a backend function that can be called by administrators. Is there anyway to "click" this button programmatically???

:)

ejacobsen12, Feb 28, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. cwtech Win User
    command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Feb 28, 2020
  4. AsRock Win User

How to click the 'Download and Install' Windows Update button from command prompt / PS?

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Feb 28, 2020
Thema:

How to click the 'Download and Install' Windows Update button from command prompt / PS?

1. How to click the 'Download and Install' Windows Update button from command prompt / PS? - Similar Threads - click 'Download Install'

2. how to remove viruses from the command prompt?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to remove viruses from the command prompt?: How to remove viruses from the command prompt? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-viruses-from-the-command-prompt/a818112d-646a-4aa4-8875-682a319f8be6
  3. how to remove viruses from the command prompt?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove viruses from the command prompt?: How to remove viruses from the command prompt? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-viruses-from-the-command-prompt/a818112d-646a-4aa4-8875-682a319f8be6
  4. how to remove viruses from the command prompt?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?: Hello Microsoft community,I have a big problem in my Windows 10 Pro, I wrote something wrong in the Command Prompt idk How to write in english and when I try tô do any actions that restart the notebook or turn It of, the spinning thing doesnt appear and It never...
  6. How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to undo a Command in the Command Prompt?: Hello Microsoft community,I have a big problem in my Windows 10 Pro, I wrote something wrong in the Command Prompt idk How to write in english and when I try tô do any actions that restart the notebook or turn It of, the spinning thing doesnt appear and It never...
  7. Pass command from a PS script to a new PS Window

in Windows 10 Support
    Pass command from a PS script to a new PS Window: Just looking for some advice on how to run a command in a new Powershell Window from within an existing Powershell script. Currently I have the following code that clears out any log files older than 21 days and then uses Robocopy to copy any new files from the Q:\ drive to...
  8. How grant folder from command prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How grant folder from command prompt: Hi I need to redirect Windows logs folder by mklink command but before creating a link the source folder must be deleted and when I using rmdir command, it reports access denied. To solving this problem I have to change folders permission manually. But I need a command to...
  9. Command Prompt not opening. Clicking on Command Prompt opens the default folder location in...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt not opening. Clicking on Command Prompt opens the default folder location in...: Hi, I'm using windows 10. I have no idea why my command prompt is not launching properly and is instead opening up the default folder in File Explorer i.e. File Explorer is opening up in the command prompt default start up folder. Please help. FYI. I recently downloaded...
  10. Command prompt in Start button bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Command prompt in Start button bug: Hey people, since creators update trying to launch CMD/Powershell with right click on start button just got nothing being launch. Only way i can launch it by other methods. Does someone else find this problem with creators update? Or my system just get corrupted but sfc...