Windows 10: How to connect to Azure-hosted DB with Windows Auth on local workstation

Discus and support How to connect to Azure-hosted DB with Windows Auth on local workstation in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, This is something we have wanted to implement for some time now, but it always falls to the wayside because higher priority tasks come up and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Carsie Mundy, Jul 17, 2019.

1. How to connect to Azure-hosted DB with Windows Auth on local workstation

Hello,

This is something we have wanted to implement for some time now, but it always falls to the wayside because higher priority tasks come up and SQL Auth works. We have several Azure VM's running, some dataservers and some webservers.

From our workstations we are only able to connect to our databases using SQL authentication, which is not ideal.

However, we can RDP to the SQL servers and from there use Windows Authentication with SSMS to log in successfully. Convenience and workflow are the reasons why we wouldn't want to do that, as well as the latency going through RDP introduces (it just feels slightly off).

We want to stop using SQL authentication because it just adds another headache to our work; Another password to remember, as well as being less secure.

We are using a VPN, which I guess tunnels to Azure but I'm not sure why we cannot authenticate with our windows credentials. How can we achieve this?

Thanks

:)

Carsie Mundy, Jul 17, 2019

2. Add workstation to Network Browser in Windows 10 Pro with AD

Something so simple is driving me crazy: I have a Windows 10 Professional workstation with AD. In the Windows Explorer I see only other 6 workstations and the local PC. Has enable Network Discovery and I can connect to others workstation in the network.
    The question is: why I see only 6 workstations and not the rest of the network? How can I add other host to the Network Browser list?

* All workstations are in the same VLAN

Hédel Nuñez Bolívar, Jul 17, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Azure AD to local

Hello,

I have a problem using my Azure AD profile in Windows 10. I have set up my Windows 10 PC using my organization Office 365 account (Azure AD). This caused a problem accessing my organization shared folders in file servers, it cannot recognize and connect.
    I tried with a local Windows account and there was no problem. So I suppose I need to disconnect from Azure AD and go to a local administrator account for not having such a problem. I have 2 PCs with the same problem, I tried in one but it changed totally
    the account, deleted the Azure and lost the installation and settings from that. Now I need to set up from the beginning the local account...

In order not to lose the data, installations, settings etc from the other computer (I have my whole work and licensed software in that), how could I just change to a local account from my Azure/Office365? I need to keep the whole profile but login locally,
    not with my Office365 account. Is there any way to do that?

Thank you

Γιάννης Χρηστίδης, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

How to connect to Azure-hosted DB with Windows Auth on local workstation

Convert online Microsoft Azure account to local account?

Unfortunately, you cannot switch an Azure AD account to a local or Microsoft account. You need to create a new user account first, make it an admin account, then disconnect from your organizational account, restart and sign in to new local account.

All software remains installed and intact but all user specific customizations and settings are lost, new local user starting from scratch with default settings.

The whole process step by step:

1.) Copy your personal data (documents, images etc.) from current Azure AD user profile folder to respective folders in C:\Users\Public

2.) In Settings > Accounts > Other people, add a new local user (see Option One in this tutorial)

3.) Check that everything is correct, that you will see your Azure AD account under Work or school users (yellow highlight), and your new local admin account under Other people (blue highlight):

How to connect to Azure-hosted DB with Windows Auth on local workstation [​IMG]

4.) Select Access work or school on left pane, select the connected Azure AD domain, click Disconnect:

5.) Click Yes:

6.) Click Disconnect:

7.) Enter the username and password for your new local admin account, click OK:

8.) Click Restart now:

9.) When back on desktop with your new local admin account, move personal data from Public folder and its subfolders you backed up in step 1 above to respective subfolders on new user profile folder. If the old Azure AD user profile folder is still present in Users folder, it can be deleted now.

That's it.

Thema:

How to connect to Azure-hosted DB with Windows Auth on local workstation

1. How to connect to Azure-hosted DB with Windows Auth on local workstation - Similar Threads - connect Azure hosted

2. RDP with Azure AD Auth has stopped working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP with Azure AD Auth has stopped working.: Our organization has a couple Windows devices located at a colocation data center. Since we began as a company, we have used RDP to remote into these device for operations and troubleshooting. They are configured to allow RDP for specific users with Azure AD Authentication....
  3. RDP with Azure AD Auth has stopped working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP with Azure AD Auth has stopped working.: Our organization has a couple Windows devices located at a colocation data center. Since we began as a company, we have used RDP to remote into these device for operations and troubleshooting. They are configured to allow RDP for specific users with Azure AD Authentication....
  4. DB Connection through ODBC with SSL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DB Connection through ODBC with SSL: Hello,I need to configure a connection to IBM informix DB through ODBC with SSL.I don't find where i can link a keystore or SSL conf to the DNSThanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/db-connection-through-odbc-with-ssl/c3ef3ec2-1b9b-4939-9a0f-3e51340ff940
  5. DB Connection through ODBC with SSL

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DB Connection through ODBC with SSL: Hello,I need to configure a connection to IBM informix DB through ODBC with SSL.I don't find where i can link a keystore or SSL conf to the DNSThanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/db-connection-through-odbc-with-ssl/c3ef3ec2-1b9b-4939-9a0f-3e51340ff940
  6. Azure connection

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Azure connection: Hi,I was trying to add a laptop to the company Azure/MDM but wasn't able to do so as it was managed by some other organisation.I have removed the account from Access work or school .How can i remove or log it of it completely?Vineet...
  7. Local Host refused to connect

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Local Host refused to connect: When I try and access localhost on any port, I get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. I have been looking around the web for a solution to this issue, but I have not found anything. I am running Windows 10 Professional 64 bit. I am beginning to believe that I have made a mistake by...
  8. Local -> Azure -> Azure user not showing up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local -> Azure -> Azure user not showing up: We have a laptop here that has a local account Through adding on Access Work/School I was able to connect it to our azure. It then told me that when I'm "ready" I can switch accounts. However there is no other user to switch to. When looking at the list of Users, Your...
  9. Azure I do not host

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Azure I do not host: Can not find Azure in add remove programs. Or I would have already done so. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/azure-i-do-not-host/c4797b20-0999-4db0-89a2-90c9d55af7fa"
  10. Image W10 workstations for Azure AD join?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Image W10 workstations for Azure AD join?: Hi All, I want to image Windows 10; but more importantly I need to join Azure AD 'Out of the Box'! I don't have a 'master' Azure AD account. I am not even sure that such a thing exits, e.g.: the Administrator account on a standard Active Directory Domain. Where should I be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. connect to azure sql from workstation