Windows 10: How to consume Unallocated space on HD

Discus and support How to consume Unallocated space on HD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Here is a picture of my Disc 0: [img] How can I use Unallocated space and all not needed partitions including J? This is where I have my C drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by zolotoy, Mar 10, 2018.

1. zolotoy Win User

How to consume Unallocated space on HD

Here is a picture of my Disc 0:

How to consume Unallocated space on HD [​IMG]

How can I use Unallocated space and all not needed partitions including J? This is where I have my C drive and I like to make it as big as possible.

Thanks

:)

zolotoy, Mar 10, 2018

2. partition

dear all,

I have recently upgrade to windows10 from windows7. First I used to recovery option to reinstall win7 for clean HD and used about 100gb of 500gb hd space. But I left unallocated harddisk space without partition, Then upgrade to win10. It looked OK but after
    that I try to partition the unallocated harddisk space there warn that the operation will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamics disk..... I click yes. They say there is not enough space to perform. How can I partition the rest of this hard disk.

Thanks

Chow

chanokovat, Mar 10, 2018
  3. restore system image to new, larger HD

I created a system image, replaced the HD with a larger one and restored the image. I now have 300GB unallocated space, but when I try and create a new simple volume on that space to make is usable, I get an error saying "you cannot create a new volume
    in this unallocated space because the disk already contains the maximum number of partitions."

When I made the system image I only wanted to image the C: drive. the current partitions are: 200mb system active; C:; D:; OEM partition; and the unallocated space. How do I utilize the unallocated space?

RobertHoweB, Mar 10, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

We can't see what any of the partition are for, without that information we cannot advise you.

Please read this tutorial, adjust column widths as described and post a new screenshot.

Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

5. cereberus Win User
    Install Minitool Partition Wizard Free, delete all partitions to right of c drive except the 450 MB Recovery Partition.

Then using minitool, move Recovery partition to far right.

Then uou can expand C drive to fill space.

cereberus, Mar 10, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Including J: ? That seems to be the right size for a factory reset partition. Still the OP may never need to do a factory reset, but until we know for sure what the partition are it's a bit of a risk just deleting them.

7. zolotoy Win User
    Alright, here is a better picture:

zolotoy, Mar 10, 2018
  8. jumanji Win User

Always post a full screenshot of Windows Disk Management showing all the disks. Truncated screenshot like the one you posted doesn't help. It will also help if you remove all external drives/docks/hubs so that Windows Disk Management shows only the internal drives.

You should also explain what is Disk 3 which also seems to have EFI System Partition and other OEM partitions.

Help others to help you better by furnishing all details and take out any guess work.

jumanji, Mar 10, 2018
  9. zolotoy Win User
    I cloned disk 3 which was Disk 0 into Disk 0 which was Disk 3. That's why they match. Here is the full screenshot:

zolotoy, Mar 10, 2018
  10. jumanji Win User
    OK, thanks for the full screenshot. That should give a clear picture. Now wait for other experts like Bree and /or others to crack on it and help you. ( I am not one on OEM machines and how they arrange their partitions and what those contain.)

jumanji, Mar 10, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    I'm afraid I'll have to sit on the side-lines for this one, I'm more familiar with mbr layouts than uefi. Perhaps @NavyLCDR or others?

12. zolotoy Win User
    What about the left of drive c?

zolotoy, Mar 10, 2018
  13. jumanji Win User

@zolotoy, do not lose your patience. I would believe that you should only consider any suggestion that does not destroy or delete any existing partition/s that should have been built as per Microsoft's technology papers.

Hard Drives and Partitions | Microsoft Docs

UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions | Microsoft Docs

Anyone recommending any deletion of the OEM partitions should also delineate the effects of deleting such partitions. So wait for some more time until someone experienced and knowledgeable comes up with the best way to annex the unallocated space to your drive C .

jumanji, Mar 10, 2018
  14. CountMike New Member
    Disk0, I would merge partitions after J: with J: Everything in front of it is necessary.
    Other option is to just format that unallocated partition but than you would be forfeiting that 450MB space.
    Once finished you could clean up Disk3 of all partitions.

CountMike, Mar 10, 2018
  15. jumanji Win User
    Hi CountMike,

Please give your opinion on Method 3 here Top Three Methods for Moving Unallocated Space to C Drive in Windows 10

As per that method if the OP marks C:, J: and the 232.88 GB Unallocated for merging, wouldn't it push the 1.96GB OEM partition and the 450MB OEM partition to the end without deleteing those?

After selecting those the OP can see whether that happens in the main interface and if it does happen, he can then "Apply" it.

@zolotoy, dont hurry and try to implement the above method. I would like to get the opinion of other knowledgeable members like CountMike and others first. And also I would like a confirmation from you that you can boot from the original system drive ( that is remove the current 500GB Disk 0, replace it with the original 250GB drive current Disk 3) should the other experts concurr that it may work and there is no harm in trying it out.

jumanji, Mar 10, 2018
Thema:

1. How to consume Unallocated space on HD - Similar Threads - consume Unallocated space

2. Unallocated space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unallocated space: Hello guys,I have a 1tb hard disk and for some time I cannot use 800gb unallocated space.. I tried all the tutorials and nothing, every time I try to create a new volume it appears "the volume size is too small for the selected file system".. I have windows 10 because my...
  3. Unallocated space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unallocated space: Hello guys,I have a 1tb hard disk and for some time I cannot use 800gb unallocated space.. I tried all the tutorials and nothing, every time I try to create a new volume it appears "the volume size is too small for the selected file system".. I have windows 10 because my...
  4. Unallocated space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unallocated Space

Unallocated Space: Hi!, so basically I have zero "Unallocated" space, and all of my files on the top main space are disk 0 partition 1 and disk 0 partition 4, and when I try to shrink the sie of the OS C: "Healthy Boot, Page File eyc., it says my available shrink space is zero?Please help!!!...
  6. Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unallocated Space: Hi!, so basically I have zero "Unallocated" space, and all of my files on the top main space are disk 0 partition 1 and disk 0 partition 4, and when I try to shrink the sie of the OS C: "Healthy Boot, Page File eyc., it says my available shrink space is zero?Please help!!!...
  7. Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to change free space into unallocated space?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change free space into unallocated space?: Normally shrinking a drive gives us an unallocated space. But when I shrinked a volume, I got free space instead of unallocated space. [ATTACH] What to do? Ask me any question if you have doubt regarding this....
  9. Unallocated space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unallocated space: After installing Windows 10, SSD has 580GB unallocated space. How can I get this space back without loosing data on SSD? submitted by /u/zxasassa [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j95oxj/unallocated_space/
  10. unallocated space

unallocated space: My external drive shows two partitions. one of which is unallocated. I am not able to recover this partition. I have posted pictures of the options I get when I click on the partitions. I tried some partition recovery tools but was unable to recover. what option do I have...