Windows 10: How to copy user accounts in Win8 to online accounts in Win10

Discus and support How to copy user accounts in Win8 to online accounts in Win10 in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi I'm surprised that nobody else has this problem, but I've searched and can't find an answer...apologies if I've not looked hard enough but I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by AndyKnights, Jan 23, 2016.

1. How to copy user accounts in Win8 to online accounts in Win10

Hi

I'm surprised that nobody else has this problem, but I've searched and can't find an answer...apologies if I've not looked hard enough but I decided to post a question because this is 'urgent' to me.

I had 2 children's accounts in Win 8, and had local Parental Controls. Upgraded OS to Win 10, and now I can't manage Parental Controls in Win 10 locally, so I 'think' I need to set up 'online Profiles' for them.

However, all their game progress, profile settings, etc are on their local profiles - how can I get all this data to be on their online Profiles? I didn't want to copy and paste folders (such as AppData) without knowing that this was a 'safe' way to do this.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Rgds,
    Andy

:)

AndyKnights, Jan 23, 2016
  2. Todd_939 Win User

Win10 - the user profile service service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded - Child Account

Did anyone ever figure out how to resolve this? I had the automatic upgrade from win8 to win10. In win10 when I create a new account and then try to log in I get the same error message - The user profile
    service service failed the logon , User profile cannot be loaded

This is so annoying. It worked fine in Win8.

Todd_939, Jan 23, 2016
  3. Create User Accounts in Win10

Creating a new account to resolve the Critical error issue is not a fix. The error comes back after a while in the new account.

PerlaArquieta, Jan 23, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

How to copy user accounts in Win8 to online accounts in Win10

philc43, Jan 24, 2016
  5. Thank you - I really struggled to find that answer. I suppose it was because I wasn't using the 'microsoft' account wording....

Anyway, seems to be an error. I don't know if it's because I've already allowed access to the PC and included my daughter in my 'family' online - but I get a box saying....Oops something went wrong. It was probably out fault, please try again. I've tried with or without allowing and blocking access to that MS account - same problem each time.

So, I get the box to log in with her Microsoft account, which I've already set up, I put in the email/password and get a second box to put in her password again (which is actually the same as the MS account that I've set her up with) and then I get this warning....

Not sure if relevant, but her password has no capitals - alpha-numeric, but no caps.

Please help.

AndyKnights, Jan 24, 2016
  6. PS - I tried a fix I found online to remove the kids from my Family account, restarted, and then try - but still same problem...

AndyKnights, Jan 24, 2016
  7. Any ideas, anyone? I thought this would be quite basic??

AndyKnights, Jan 27, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

philc43, Jan 27, 2016
  9. Thank you for trying to help but it continued to give me problems.

However I managed to sort it out by creating a new Microsoft account and linking my daughters local profile to her new Microsoft profile. And it worked!

No need to restore her profile to an old point, and kept all her saved progress!

AndyKnights, Jan 31, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    *Smile Well done!

The Microsoft accounts are quite clever and all her settings will now move with her and keep synced.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to copy user accounts in Win8 to online accounts in Win10 - Similar Threads - copy user accounts

2. 2 user accounts admin and normal activated to same online account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 user accounts admin and normal activated to same online account: Hi,I'm on Windows 11 Home and I just installed my new PC.I connected with my online already existing account and got an Administrator user.I also activated my wife her account for sign in as a Standard user.This worked fine.But after this I activated my own Standard user for...
  3. 2 user accounts admin and normal activated to same online account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 user accounts admin and normal activated to same online account: Hi,I'm on Windows 11 Home and I just installed my new PC.I connected with my online already existing account and got an Administrator user.I also activated my wife her account for sign in as a Standard user.This worked fine.But after this I activated my own Standard user for...
  4. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  5. How to copy a directory from a OneDrive user account to another OneDrive user account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy a directory from a OneDrive user account to another OneDrive user account: My family purchased the Office 365 subscription with provision for six 6 1TB OneDrive user accounts. I am wanting to transfer my copy of the family photos to another family member. I don't want to download all the photos from my account and then upload them at 1/10th the...
  6. Possible to copy a user account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Possible to copy a user account?: I've got a client who brought their W10 laptop to me because they got locked out of their account. I used a third party tool on Windows PE in an effort to reset their password, but it was a live ID not a local account. Next thing I did was reset the Administrator password,...
  7. Copy user unknown account to another user.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy user unknown account to another user.: Hello, I need a way to copy or merge an unknown account user with another user account. This issue arose when I disconnected my work or school account under the settings - accounts - access work or school. I was having issues as the Azure account was limiting some control...
  8. New Win10 installation with online accounts or not?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New Win10 installation with online accounts or not?: Hi all, Ill soon install my first Windows 10 PC and have therefore some questions related to the accounts. As far as I know Microsoft want users to use the Microsoft online accounts - is it even possible to use offline accounts only? And what is the difference in between...
  9. Win10 user account needs changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win10 user account needs changing: Hi i have a w10 laptop with office 365 installed The laptop was set up with my own microsoft account and email How do i change it so its only got my wifes microsoft account, email and user name instead of mine I dont want to lose the installed office 365 software. I...
  10. Copy local GPO from Win8 OS to Win10 OS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Copy local GPO from Win8 OS to Win10 OS: Hi. We have some computers with Windows 8 installed in a public library for the public to use. They are locked down tight with local GPO and is not in a domain since they need only Internet access. We have now switched to Windows 10 as OS on new computers and I was wondering...