Windows 10: How to Create a Restore Point?

Discus and support How to Create a Restore Point? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Since I've made some progress recovering my system from the catastrophic Windows Update fix this morning, I decided to create a Restore Point. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Swifty, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Swifty Win User

How to Create a Restore Point?

Since I've made some progress recovering my system from the catastrophic Windows Update fix this morning, I decided to create a Restore Point.
    It wasn't obvious how to do this, so I searched the net.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...-restore-point suggested to search the Taskbar for "Create Restore Point"

I did that, and it found "Create Restore Point" in the control panel. So, I clicked that. Nothing happened.
    So, I tried to find "Create Restore Point" in the Control Panel myself, but it doesn't seem to be there.

So is there a correct webpage that will tell me how to create a restore point?

This, incidentally, is "Weird stuff happening" chapter 2, following on from my local "Steve" userid being converted to Microsoft Account logon, since when I've been unable to logon at all...

:)

Swifty, Jul 13, 2017
  2. 'Mike P Win User

How to create a new backup with "Backup and Restore"?

Might want search System Image failures in windows 10 version 1709. Seems many are discovering it wont work for them.

Features
    that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

System
    Image Backup (SIB)
    Solution -
    We recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.

'Mike P, Jul 13, 2017
  3. How to create a new backup with "Backup and Restore"?

Hi,

You may delete the old backup, then start over again. However, this may not ensure the safety of your files. To guarantee that you're not going to lose any of your files, the best option is to have another drive to store the current backup.

For more information about Backup and Restore, you may check this
    article.

Should you have any further queries, don't hesitate to let us know.

Eileen Gal, Jul 13, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

Try Control Panel --> System. Click on "System Protection" at upper left. Check to make sure that Protection is turned on for your system/boot drive (C:, in most cases). If it's not turned on, you'll need to highlight the proper drive, then click the Configure button to set things up. Once you can create a restore point, simply click the button labeled "Create" as shown in this screencap of the System Protection tab in the System Properties. That's it!

*Arrow Create System Restore Point in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

How to Create a Restore Point? [​IMG]

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 13, 2017
  5. Brink wrote a beautiful little script, that when run will create a new Restore Point.
    I have that script....and I put a copy of it in my Startup folder, under Program Files, so that every time I boot up or RE-Boot my PC I create a new Restore Point.

I HATE going on a PC service call, thinking to myself that when I get there all I have to do it run a System Restore to get the PC back up and running properly.....then I get there and find that some #$&^% has turned System Restore OFF. Argggggg!

Good Luck Mate!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Jul 13, 2017
  6. Swifty Win User
    I'm going to have to break this down into easy steps...
    I searched the taskbar for "Control Panel" and found "Control Panel Desktop App". I opened that, but there was no "System". There WAS "System and Security" and inside that there WAS "System", but not as we know it, Ed.

I've known all along that there's the OLD "System", which I could find, and cope with it, and the new-fangled Control Panel which seemed to hide the useful stuff from us children.
    I've not been able to find the old "System" window for months, maybe years.

Swifty, Jul 13, 2017
  7. Swifty Win User
    I've got one of those as well! It doesn't let me add a description, though. So looking for an "official" way to create a restore point, otherwise I'll lose track of where I have to regress to.

In the meantime, I'm now looking to see if I have any restore points from a couple of months ago, to see if that gets me back to when "Steve" was a local account, and I knew its password, and I could logon!

Swifty, Jul 13, 2017
  8. Stevekir Win User

I create a Restore Point now and again.

In the search fieds in the Task Bar, I type Restore Point and press Create a restore point.. The following window opens:

In my system, my D drive (my internal spinning HDDholding Documants, Pictures etc. etc., and my C: drive, an SSD, (not shown in the above clip) are always set to on by default. If your drive(s) are not set to on, I don't know how to alter this.

I press the Create button and get this:

I type in a reason for the R. Point and press Create. A progress bar appears andthen a message states" The Restore Point was created successfully" and the Close button is pressed.

I go back to the window (first attachment) and press System Restore button (it will NOT immediatly restore your comp). I get this:

It is important to set to ON the lowerradio button.

I press its Next button and get:

This is a list of my Restore Points, including the new one. My test R. Point "Test for Tenforums"is shown.

Don't you get all this on your comp?

(In the preview of this post I get another window like the second last one, below here. I can't delete it. Ignore it. It seems a fault of tenforums system).

Stevekir, Jul 13, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Do it again and stop at "...found "Control Panel Desktop App". I opened that, but there was no "System"... Now look near the top right corner. See where it says 'View by: Category'? Click on the word 'Category' and select 'Large Icons' instead. Happy now? The 'View' will remain that way for when you next open Control Panel.

10. Swifty Win User
    Well, I get a much more interesting list of choices, but the "System" one still doesn't take me to the System panel that contains the Create system Restore panel.

I've been at this for about 6 hours now, and it's past midnight here. So I'll create a webpage with a list of screenshots showing what I'm trying, what I'm getting, and where I'm going off the rails.

I'm hoping to end up with an icon on my desktop that will take me directly to the "System Properties" as they were in Windows 7 (like the one near the top of this thread).

Swifty, Jul 13, 2017
  11. Swifty Win User
    Ed, can you (or anyone else) give me a route that will take me to the above panel, on Windows 10, starting from the desktop?

I used to work in Windows Support (in IBM) but all my knowledge expired when I upgraded from Win7 to Win10...

Swifty, Jul 13, 2017
  12. Stevekir Win User
    Haver you seen my post at #7? Search in the Task Bar for "Restore Point". I have never used "Control Panel Desktop App".

Stevekir, Jul 13, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Yes it does - you just click on 'System protection' in the list at the top left.

Personally I find the quickest way to get to the 'Create system Restore' panel is to type 'restore point' in the Cortana/Search box on the taskbar.

14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Swifty, *Smile

The shortcut in the tutorial below will open directly to "System Protection" to help.

*Arrow Create System Protection shortcut in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Brink, Jul 13, 2017
  15. EdTittel Win User
    I just typed "restore" into the Cortana search box, and the first thing that came up was "Create a restore point." Here's a screen cap:

Also, if you type "System" into Cortana search box, you can open the "System" item in Control Panel. Then you'd click "System Protection" to get to that tab in the System Properties window as I already explained in my previous post.
    Hope you find your way there, and sorry for your troubles,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 13, 2017
Thema:

1. How to Create a Restore Point? - Similar Threads - Create Restore Point

2. creating a restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    creating a restore point: creating a restore point https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-a-restore-point/9c1f81c1-0eb2-4663-861f-edef4d87fa44
  3. creating a restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    creating a restore point: creating a restore point https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-a-restore-point/9c1f81c1-0eb2-4663-861f-edef4d87fa44
  4. Create a Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a Restore Point: Sirs, Following a service /inspection by my local computer service engineer - I was recommended to increase the protection- I installed Virus Protection Software from Norton. It was not to my liking and used their uninstall software to remove the installation. The removal...
  5. Create a restore point.

Create a restore point.: Hi there! Does anyone know what the problem is! Attached are 2 images. Unfortunately, the text is in Swedish. With best regards, R. T [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-restore-point/5c93a9c2-7f27-4cad-916b-cc10e0a3abd7
  6. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  7. how to create a new restore point

how to create a new restore point: how I create a new restore point https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-create-a-new-restore-point/716ad816-eccd-4b15-8243-d6eab90a438c
  8. Creating restore points?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Creating restore points?: Is there an application, freeware or paid, that works in creating restore points in Windows 10, so if an installed application messes things up, I can restore the saved point, so Windows 10 loads as if the application was never installed in the first place, and Windows...
  9. Create Restore Points

Create Restore Points: Hi Group, I'm wondering if W-10 can be configured to create a system restore point on a regular basis? Like maybe once a week or so. Also, how much drive space does a restore point use? Thanks 101418
  10. Scheduled Instant Restore Point - No Restore Point Created

Scheduled Instant Restore Point - No Restore Point Created: I followed the instruction to manually create a Manual Restore Point and that works fine. Then I decided to set up the task in the Task Scheduler to automatically create a restore point once daily. For some reason the task is started as it should but it never completes and I...