Windows 10: How to disable and possibly completely uninstall Defender

Discus and support How to disable and possibly completely uninstall Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hiyas, WinDefend is evil. I'm not able to get off this damn thing, sc delete WinDefend fails due to access denied. Not even speaking of disable the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Anakunda, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Anakunda Win User

How to disable and possibly completely uninstall Defender

Hiyas, WinDefend is evil. I'm not able to get off this damn thing, sc delete WinDefend fails due to access denied. Not even speaking of disable the thing via management console. I tried also old good Defender Uninstaller which had worked good for Windows 8, not successful on 10.(error message uninstalled with errors). So how to beat it?
    I'd like also hear about other intrusive services disabling program execution or protecting registry from access.

:)

Anakunda, Jul 24, 2015
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 24, 2015
  3. How do i completely disable windows defender and the orginization control on windows 10.

The error Your Organization used Windows Defender Application Control to Block this app could appear due to improper configuration settings. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide he proper resolution. We just have a few questions
    for you:

Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click Start > Settings > System > About. For example, Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1709 OS Build 16299.15.

Did you make any changes to your computer before this started happening?

Is your computer connected to a domain?

Are you using BitLocker?

What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest that you disable the driver signature enforcement by following these steps:

Click Start.

Click the Power button.

Hold the Shift key and click Restart.

Choose Troubleshoot.

Click Advanced options.

Click Startup Settings.

Click Restart again.

Once your computer restarts, press F7 on your keyboard to select Disable driver signature enforcement. Your computer will now restart automatically.

If the issue persists after disabling the driver signature verification, disable Secure Boot temporarily in your computer's UEFI/BIOS. You can contact your computer's manufacturer or check the device manual for the steps on how to do this.

Important: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS
    settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

If you can't find the toggle to disable Secure Boot, a firmware update for the UEFI/BIOS may be required. This can usually be found in the manufacturer's website.

After disabling Secure Boot, boot normally into Windows and check if you can install the programs. If you're successful, boot back into the UEFI/BIOS and re-enable Secure Boot since this is an important security feature.

We look forward to your response and the results of the initial troubleshooting.

If you are running Windows 10 Pro, Education or Enterprise

Windows Key+R

Type gpedit.msc in the box and hit Enter

On the pop-up window, head to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components

Scroll down on Windows Components dialog, find and right-click on Data Collection and Preview Builds

Then double-click on Allow Telemetry on the right pane

Tick on Enabled and choose 3-Full from the drop-down menu.

Then click OK to save settings

Now you should see that the message is now gone

Andre Da Costa, Jul 24, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 24, 2015
  5. Just turn it off and then apply this ASAP.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdNisSvc]
    "Start"=dword:00000004
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

You can also delete ~500MB - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\

TairikuOkami, Jul 24, 2015
  6. Anakunda Win User
    Thank yas, after applying both registry patches and deleting

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender\
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\

from another Windows it looks like WD is completely gone. To make sure I created in C:\Program Files
    dummy file Windows Defender with no access rights to prevent creating WD folder in the future.

Problem with programs executing prevention however not fully gone, wanting install Comodo Personal Firewall (cfw_installer_5732_83.exe) and getting tray notification "This application can't run on this machine"
    "Comodo 8.0 doesnot work on this version of Windows. Read more about it."

Apparently this message doesn't come from Comodo installer but from Windows. What's the service controlling it?
    I have deactivated UAC and sc deleted Security Center, don't have more idea what yet to disable.

I have installed Windows 10 totally 5 times from which twice CFW was accepted for install and 3 times blocked. Strange.

What about Software Protection (sppsvc) ?

Anakunda, Jul 24, 2015
  7. Install Norton Security Beta and say bye-bye to Defender:
    NORTON™ - Antivirus-Software und Spyware-Entfernung

There is something else to do to delete Defender but what are you using to replace it? That replacement should do the work for you... Otherwise, try Norton because it will be fully disable it.

Take care,

MikeMecanic, Jul 25, 2015
  8. Anakunda Win User

Of course but WD is the worst. Not configurable and highly intrusive. I don't like NIS either. CIS worked always perfect for me and that's the way I'd like to go with Windows 10.

Anakunda, Jul 25, 2015
  9. Installing a 3rd party AV disables WD; why bother removing it? Besides I don't see how it's intrusive in anyway, it's far less intrusive than most 3rd party AVs.

fracking4oil, Jul 25, 2015
  10. Because it is still running and sometimes causes problems, like 100% CPU usage.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to disable and possibly completely uninstall Defender - Similar Threads - disable possibly completely

2. Completely Disable Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Completely Disable Defender: Hello,I want to completely disable windows defender on windows 10. Not just turn it off in settings for it to automatically turn on a day later. I want to %100 remove it from my windows 10 home.I looked up tutorials, but they all require the group policy editor that I don't...
  3. No access to disable/uninstall windows defender

No access to disable/uninstall windows defender: Is Windows Defender sufficient or is McAfee better?I cannot install BELL Canada's McAfee because I see no way to disable Defender in W8.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/no-access-to-disableuninstall-windows-defender/7ab463f7-a8f3-474b-9f32-4db5069772ed
  4. Is it possible to disable OneDrive completely? I hate it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to disable OneDrive completely? I hate it.: OneDrive filled up about 90 seconds after I built this machine, and a completely random assortment of applications are always trying to write to it, prompting a constant stream of reminders to upgrade my storage. Why? I already have cloud storage from a variety of other...
  5. Is it possible to disable the windows update completely ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to disable the windows update completely ?: My windows update fails every time and takes forever. Can I turn it off completely? submitted by /u/discorogo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hza5ed/is_it_possible_to_disable_the_windows_update/
  6. How to completely disable Windows Defender in Windows 10?

How to completely disable Windows Defender in Windows 10?: Also, does installing another antivirus completely disable Windows Defender(including Smart Screen)? submitted by /u/abrasivemurk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fqb84s/how_to_completely_disable_windows_defender_in/
  7. How to Disable windows 10 update completely?? Is it possible??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Disable windows 10 update completely?? Is it possible??: We are using windows PC on machine. Now whenever there is an update usually it creates a problem with the softwares we use in manufacturing. We do not need any updates at all .Just we want to keep running the existing setup as it is. How do we block the updates all of the...
  8. Completely disabling Windows Defender

Completely disabling Windows Defender: I'm running Win10 v1909 Bld 18363.535 and keep getting malware notifications from Windows Defender -- and they are really annoying! I have done everything I have found to disable it, including the Windows Security settings and Regedit settings. When I get a notification, I...
  9. Is it safe to completely disable Windows Defender?

Is it safe to completely disable Windows Defender?: I have Kaspersky Total Security for years but "Antimalware service executable " just keeps using my CPU every now and then though Kaspersky is set as default app for everything in security centre . Is there any possible threat if I disable all Defender components to avoid...
  10. Is it possible to completely disable the start menu?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to completely disable the start menu?: I'm using an old laptop as a Kodi Media Center and I have it set to automatically login and boot kodi on startup and wake from sleep, so what I'm wanting to do is add all shortcuts I need to the desktop and completely disable the start menu. Not sure if this is possible, but...