Windows 10: How to disable/turn off Microsoft Defender

Discus and support How to disable/turn off Microsoft Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello users, would like to know if it's possible to totally disable Microsoft Defender (formerly Windows Defender). I don't want any engine scanning my... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by fortree, Apr 14, 2020.

1. fortree Win User

How to disable/turn off Microsoft Defender

Hello users, would like to know if it's possible to totally disable Microsoft Defender (formerly Windows Defender). I don't want any engine scanning my files in the background as soon as I try to read some file and deleting them without further notice.

W10 1909.

:)

fortree, Apr 14, 2020

2. Disable notification of Windows Defender after turning it off

Hello Nick,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps you.

Using Group Policy Editor: Disable the Windows Defender.

Note: This option for using group policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro editions.

• Press Windows + R keys, type gpedit.msc and hit
      Enter.
    • Locate the folder below. Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender.
    • Click on Windows Defender, right side in the list select
      Turn Off Windows Defender.
    • Click on Enable and Save it.
    Note: If you enable this policy settings. Widows Defender will not run and computers will not be scanned for malware or other potentially unwanted software.

Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Apr 14, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Windows Defender of Windows 10 stoped working and is not turning on

Hello NasirMahmood1,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

Have you installed any third party anti-virus software?

Step 1: Turn Windows Defender Service On.

Initially, we need to check with the status of
    Windows Defender Service which might be stopping the defender to turn on.

• Press Windows key + R and type
      services.msc and press Enter key.
    • Search for Windows Defender Service and check if it has been started.
    • Right click on Windows Defender Service and click on
      Restart.

Step 2: Turn On Windows Defender Antivirus using Group Policy.

As you are on Windows 10 Pro build, I would suggest
    gpedit.msc
    settings from the following link and set it to Disabled or not configured to
    turn on real time protection setting. Follow the steps mentioned under
    Disable real-time protection from the article-
    Enable and configure antivirus always-on protection and monitoring

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Apr 14, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Permanently Disable Windows Defender?

Since this is a TP. The option to turn off/disable Windows Defender is grayed out. However, you can turn off by:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

1. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: gpedit.msc
    2. Manoeuver to: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Defender
    3. Double click on "Turn Off Windows Defender" and select "Enabled" then click "Apply"

WARNING: After turn off "Windows Defender", you might not be able to turn it back on. I suggest before trying this, make a backup image so you can restore to the way it was.

How to disable/turn off Microsoft Defender [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

1. How to disable/turn off Microsoft Defender - Similar Threads - disable turn off

2. How to permanently turn off Microsoft Defender AntiVirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to permanently turn off Microsoft Defender AntiVirus: I am on a Windows 10 laptop and I want to either disable windows firewall completely or let all files from origin be able to download. I have used most methods online to disable/turn off and within 2 seconds it turns itself back on. Every time I try to download my games it...
  3. How to permanently turn off Microsoft Defender AntiVirus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to permanently turn off Microsoft Defender AntiVirus: I am on a Windows 10 laptop and I want to either disable windows firewall completely or let all files from origin be able to download. I have used most methods online to disable/turn off and within 2 seconds it turns itself back on. Every time I try to download my games it...
  4. How to permanently turn off Microsoft Defender AntiVirus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off: I don't have the option to enable Microsoft Defender Antivirus in my Windows Security settings.I've poked around on the internet and nothing has yielded results. I've gone through and given it a scan with Malwarebytes, made sure that security settings are enabled in the...
  6. Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off: I don't have the option to enable Microsoft Defender Antivirus in my Windows Security settings.I've poked around on the internet and nothing has yielded results. I've gone through and given it a scan with Malwarebytes, made sure that security settings are enabled in the...
  7. Microsoft Defender Antivirus turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Microsoft Defender Turned off.

Microsoft Defender Turned off.: Microsoft defender turned off.When turning it on a message is appearing "Threat Service has stopped. Restart it now", but when restarting a dialog box is appearing "Unexpected error. Sorry we ran into a problem. Please try again."Now there's a Windows Security update, after...
  9. why microsoft defender is turned off?

why microsoft defender is turned off?: I installed Malwarebytes. Can I have defender and malware bytes win 19041.546 167675
  10. why microsoft defender is turned off?

in Windows 10 Support
    why microsoft defender is turned off?: I installed Malwarebytes. Can I have defender and malware bytes win 19041.546 167675