Windows 10: How to do a clean install with a USB-stick booter

Discus and support How to do a clean install with a USB-stick booter in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. When I had to do a clean install of my Win7, I did it by going into the BIOS during POST and changing the boot order to 'DVD drive' (as I did when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dortmunder, Apr 8, 2017.

1. How to do a clean install with a USB-stick booter

Hi. When I had to do a clean install of my Win7, I did it by going into the BIOS during POST and changing the boot order to 'DVD drive' (as I did when I built the PC). For both the first install and the reinstall, I tried to do it as UEFI but failed. However, it now turns out that I might have been closer to success than I knew:
    “If you receive a "Windows can't be installed on drive 0" warning, you will still be able to as long as you can click/tap on the Next button.”
    That quote comes from the 'If installing Windows 10 with UEFI' section of this thread:
    Clean Install Windows 10

I've now upgraded to Win 10 and have made a USB booter using the Media Creation Tool in case I ever do a clean install. But there's something I'm unclear about: would I do it as before (access BIOS and change boot order to 'USB drive') or does Win10 offer a new way of doing it?

I ask because I've been reading this thread:
    Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10
    but I think it's only for those wishing to change some UEFI settings on an existing UEFI setup.

Thank you

:)

dortmunder, Apr 8, 2017
  2. Bobwicker Win User

how to do a clean install with windows 10

I would like to know how to do a clean install on windows...Thank you

Bobwicker, Apr 8, 2017
  3. SujataMoktan, Apr 8, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

How to do a clean install with a USB-stick booter

Since yours is an upgrade.....if you wish to do a clean install....the procedure is the same except for inputting your PK (product key), leave that blank and your copy will automatically be activated.

To bypass changing your boot order in the BIOS....all you have to do is reboot and at post beep start tapping the F12 key. This will bring up the boot order menu with out having to go into the BIOS. From that screen, just select your boot device and in your case your USB drive and proceed with the clean install.

Plankton, Apr 8, 2017
  5. Hi Plankton. Can I just be clear: 'the procedure is the same' – as what? Upgrading or installing from scratch?
    Any future clean install I do would be as UEFI (never had it, want to try it) so I'm thinking I'm going to have no option other than to visit BIOS...

dortmunder, Apr 8, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    The procedure: A clean install....is the same.

UEFI is the "NEW" BIOS.....it's replacing the old BIOS. Here's a link on the difference.......but basically it's a BIOS that's locked down for more security. But it can be turned off.

As I stated before....to change the boot order, you "do not" have to enter the BIOS. Just use the F12 method as outlined.

Note: by default Windows 10 use GPT (HDD setting) and UEFI on a clean install.
    Whats the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive?

Plankton, Apr 8, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    This is not true. The decision to do a UEFI or legacy BIOS install depends on

1) if pc only has legacy bios, it will install legacy bios

2) if pc only has uefi, it will install uefi

3) if pc has csm legacy bios support ie can do either, it will install acording to whether pc is set to legacy bios or uefi mode.

cereberus, Apr 8, 2017
  8. How to do a clean install with a USB-stick booter

My mobo has the option of UEFI or BIOS. My system is currently BIOS. If I clean install and want to have UEFI then am I right in saying that I need to enter the BIOS, change boot order to 'USB' and set it to UEFI?

dortmunder, Apr 8, 2017
  9. anonjwm Win User
    You will need to set your motherboard to UEFI and also make the disc/usb bootable to UEFI (GPT) when you make the bootable disc/usb.

anonjwm, Apr 8, 2017
  10. "...and also make the usb bootable to UEFI (GPT) when you make the bootable usb." The Media Creation Tool makes no mention of this, it's just a case of choosing USB or disc and then the Tool goes ahead and does it. Does the Tool automatically give you a UEFI compatible USB/disc does anyone know?

dortmunder, Apr 8, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, the MCT will create a USB flash drive that will work in both UEFI and legacy BIOS computers.

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2017
  12. This afternoon I used a USB drive to clean installed 1703 in UEFI mode (for the first time), and I had to set 'Windows Boot Manager' as the first boot device after the installation. Luckily, all files in drive D: remained there after I converted MBR to GPT.

I created a bootable USB drive without using MCT according to
    How to make active@boot disk bootable on uefi/gpt? - Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    You were one of those who answered my questions there. Thanks a lot!

Matthew Wai, Apr 8, 2017
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

You have to be careful how you convert a drive containing a data partition from MBR to GPT and to keep your data a third party program like MiniTool Partition Wizard must be used. If you use the Windows standard diskpart commands, the physical drive must be erased entirely and the normal sequence of commands is "clean" followed by "convert gpt". The clean command wipes all the partitions off the drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2017
  14. anonjwm Win User
    That's if you use Rufus, did not see you we're using the MS tool.

anonjwm, Apr 8, 2017
  15. I used neither MiniTool Partition Wizard nor Diskpart to convert my HDD from MBR to GPT.
    I used Gdisk on a Linux Live DVD instead, as I had already mentioned in this post last month.
    My data partition remains safe and sound.

I don't have to be careful because I already did it successfully.

I used neither to create my bootable USB drive.

Matthew Wai, Apr 8, 2017
Thema:

1. How to do a clean install with a USB-stick booter - Similar Threads - clean install USB

2. Unable to clean install windows 10 from usb stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to clean install windows 10 from usb stick: The install gets to 96% of installation then I get an error message. The error says that windows cannot install the required files. Make sure all files that are required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025DI’ve formatted the 1TB...
  3. Unable to clean install windows 10 from usb stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to clean install windows 10 from usb stick: The install gets to 96% of installation then I get an error message. The error says that windows cannot install the required files. Make sure all files that are required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025DI’ve formatted the 1TB...
  4. Unable to clean install windows 10 from usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean installed windows with a media installation usb stick and I get this screen over and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean installed windows with a media installation usb stick and I get this screen over and...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/stinkyspaghetti1357 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/egv946/clean_installed_windows_with_a_media_installation/
  6. How install windows10 on a usb stick ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How install windows10 on a usb stick ?: Hi, I'd like to install windows10 on a usb stick. If I boot from the installation media the windows installer doesn't see any usb stick, the the discs. How can I install windows to a usb stick ? submitted by /u/belibelibelib [link] [comments]...
  7. Clean Install 1903 with USB stick

Clean Install 1903 with USB stick: Hello. If I try to clean install 1903 with just the installation USB stick attached to my laptop, will I run into this? "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10" error on a computer that has a USB device or SD card attached Does anyone know if the 1903 ISO has been...
  8. usb stick

usb stick: When using the media creation tool and when you get to the part where you can choose 'create USB stick' or 'ISO file> (Rufus not shown)', is it the same either way or is one better than the other? I used the ISO file and then Rufus to create the bootable stick to install Win...
  9. Is formatting required during clean install from USB stick?

Is formatting required during clean install from USB stick?: I bought a new SSD drive and used it to replace my old slow HDD in my laptop. I have just successfully installed windows 10 on it. During the step shown in the picture below, I clicked on "New" [img] Which brought me to this step [img] From here, i just chose...
  10. boot problems after clean install from usb stick to SSD

boot problems after clean install from usb stick to SSD: I bought a new 250 GB SSD and wanted to perform a clean install of windows 10. I installed windows from a USB stick and all seemed to go well until installation finished and I attempted to reboot removing the usb stick after first changing bios to boot from SSD. It wont boot...