Windows 10: How to enable or disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer

Discus and support How to enable or disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] The Windows File Explorer is the near-perfect example of how a File Management software should be. I know many people are demanding for a UWP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 20, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

How to enable or disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer

WinClub, Nov 20, 2018
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Nov 20, 2018
  3. Keith A. Miller, Nov 20, 2018
  4. ARYLIOA Win User

Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

I was checking out the collating sequence on Windows 7 for a friend and found this post on SevenForums:

Numerical Sorting in Windows Explorer - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Curious, I decided to give it a go on W10 even though this computer did not have the full key in the registry. I was not especially brave since I had saved a full image this morning. (You do have to reboot between changes for them to take effect.)

I created 8 files numbered 01, 1, 02, 2, 4, 15, 25, and 45. Then I downloaded the .reg files from that web site and applied them to see what happens. It appears W10 changed the default. It also appears the changes are still valid choices.

Anyway, W10 default is definitely with numeric sort enabled. As I created them, they came out in 01, 1, 02, 2, 4, 15, 25, and 45. (I don't know if the leading 0 is disregarded completely and might sort differently at some times, but they are in true numeric sequence since lead 0s should be disregarded.)

I ran the one to enable them first since disabled was the W7 default, and nothing changed. That reinforced that the defaults have been switched.

Then I ran the one to disable the numeric sort and the sequence changed to 01, 02, 1, 15, 2, 25, 4, 45. Basically straight ASCII collating sequence, not the numeric sequence Windows provides.

Anyway, I thought someone might be interested, and perhaps the equivalent information could be added to the Tutorials for W10 (reversing the default spec).

(edited to clean up mixed fonts)

ARYLIOA, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

1. How to enable or disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Similar Threads - enable disable Numerical

2. How to PERMANENTLY disable Explorer from sorting files by Date

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to PERMANENTLY disable Explorer from sorting files by Date: A repeated problem which occurs when there in Windows 10. The Downloads folder keeps on sorting everything by Dates and Weeks. I keep getting this randomly happening and it always takes about an hour of searching through forums to try to find how to disable this setting.I...
  3. Cannot disable numerical aka logical sorting in file explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot disable numerical aka logical sorting in file explorer in Windows 10: I have Windows 10 Home version 2004 installed and I want to disable numerical aka logical sorting in file explorer. I have tried both approaches via registry and group policy manager as explained here and in other places:...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting: Windows 10 Pro - Version 1903 Numerical sorting is turned on in group policy editor. Files are not sorting correctly. Decimal numbers are listed after whole numbers. Folders are sorting correctly. Number lists in Microsoft Office 2013 Word & Excel sort correctly. What could...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting

Windows 10 File Explorer Numerical Sorting: Windows 10 Pro - Version 1903 Numerical sorting is turned on in group policy editor. Files are not sorting correctly. Decimal numbers are listed after whole numbers. Folders are sorting correctly. Number lists in Microsoft Office 2013 Word & Excel sort correctly. What could...
  6. Sorting files and folders numerically

Sorting files and folders numerically: Hi, I want to sort the files and folders numerically on my Windows 10 OS. If i give the name '01.Abc' to a .doc and '02.Edf' to a folder then the folder is showing first and the doc as second in order. Please refer the screenshot. I want '01.Abc' shown first and '02.Edf'...
  7. File Explorer Sorting

File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  8. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...
  9. Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

in Windows 10 Support
    Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence: I was checking out the collating sequence on Windows 7 for a friend and found this post on SevenForums: Numerical Sorting in Windows Explorer - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums Curious, I decided to give it a go on W10 even though this computer did not have the...
  10. Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Numerical Sorting in File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information Numerical sorting in File Explorer is enabled by default in Windows 10. When numerical sorting is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. enable numerical sorting in file explorer

2. numberical sorting in windows explorer windows 7 registry

3. windows file explorer how to stop sorting by today