Windows 10: How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop

Discus and support How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This thread is based on a 2017 article I wrote in the MSAnswers forum, hence the rather dated screenshots. Getting into Safe mode by changing entries... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Try3, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Try3 Win User

How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop

This thread is based on a 2017 article I wrote in the MSAnswers forum, hence the rather dated screenshots.

Getting into Safe mode by changing entries in MSConfig can sometimes get you stuck in Safe mode at every boot.
    - This thread only addresses the case of getting stuck in Safe mode by having got there by altering MSConfig. - This thread does not address other causes of getting stuck in apparent Safe mode boot loops. An inability to escape from Safe mode booting might, for example, be caused by a fatal Windows error stopping Windows from loading so it would not be a 'Safe mode boot loop' as such but rather a repeated Windows loading falure. It would be that fatal error that needed investigating rather than MSConfig.
    - The primary Safe mode reference is Boot into Safe Mode - TenForumsTutorials

The solution to an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop requires booting from a Windows 10 installation disk and then issuing a particular BCDEdit command. The computer should then be able to boot into Windows in the normal manner.

1 To make an installation disk to boot from use
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 - TenForumsTutorials
    I always use Option 1, the Media creation tool method, with an 8GB USB. Everything else on the disk will be wiped off so don't use one with any useful files on it.

2 Boot from the installation disk [it is a repair tool as well as an installation tool]. In case you have never booted from a USB before -
    2.1 Remove any other USB drives first because they can complicate things,
    2.2 Connect the installation USB,
    2.3 Restart the computer [restarting it rather than turning it off completely first sidesteps any complications from having Fast start enabled in Windows],
    2.3 When the PC restarts & whilst the maker's logo is still onscreen before the Windows symbol comes up,
    2.4 Press the Boot options key that is probably identified onscreen,
    [if the screen does not tell you which key to press then you will have to check your computer manual or the computer maker's website to find out because different makers use different keys],
    2.5 In Boot options, select USB storage device,
    2.6 Press the Return key on your keyboard

3 You'll see a Windows icon as it starts up & it will take longer than your usual boot,

4 You will then see a dialog asking you to choose the language, time-currency & keyboard region,

How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop 3909ce2b-7201-43f7-a622-578ffdd73232.jpg

5 Then click on the button in the bottom right [labelled Next],

6 Then you'll be taken to the main Install page but do not choose that - click on Repair your computer instead. Remember that you are not trying to reinstall Windows, you are just using the installation USB as a repair tool.

How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop e7382bf3-d23a-4f85-a771-5b8246ecdfad.jpg

7 Then you'll see the Choose an option screen,

How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop 034e7c81-6185-4ab6-88e5-5279d91d5bd4.jpg

8 Click on Troubleshoot to go to the Troubleshoot menu,

How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop af1835e3-76e2-4a54-ac85-4083ef1ed477.jpg

9 Click on Advanced options,

How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop 244b9ba5-d661-490c-86fc-b83b04a50454.jpg

10 Click on Command prompt,

How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop f9e59ffc-fc6b-467d-b98c-e01a6f76318e.jpg

11 Enter this
    BCDEdit

12 You will get a response like this -

How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop 61509df9-2045-4561-a1cc-e15f03b1297b.jpg

13 Look at the line that says Windows 10 then look up three lines to the "identifier" where mine says {default} [and yours probably will too].

14.1 If yours does also say {default} then enter this [including its brackets, just as shown]
    bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot
    14.2 If yours does not also say {default} then enter whatever it does say inside the curly brackets [including its brackets, just as shown]
    bcdedit /deletevalue {WhatEverItDoesSay} safeboot

15 That's it, all done.

16 Close the Command prompt [The menu screen might then close automatically but if not you can just click on the back arrows until you reach the Choose an option screen where you can click on Turn off your PC].

17 Turn the computer back on and it should now boot straight into Windows properly and not into Safe mode.

18 You can now use the installation USB to store other files as well but make sure you do not alter any of its existing contents.

Thanks go to the MSAnswers forum user Virginia, the Time lady, who first publicised this fix in that forum. And to Niki Han in the TechNet forum who is the earliest source for this fix that I have been able to find [ultimately, the source will have been TechNet's excellent Command line reference or Microsoft's BCDEdit Reference.]

Denis

:)

2. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Aug 25, 2019
  3. Try3 Win User
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Stuck in Safe Mode Boot Loop

Hi Justin,

It is possible that you're stuck in Safe Mode boot loop due to system components. To assist you better, we'd like to know if you've tried starting your computer in Safe Mode with Networking.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article on how to Start your computer in safe mode
    in Windows 10. Safe Mode with Networking includes the network drivers and services you'll need to access the Internet and other computers on your network.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

1. How to - Escape from an MSConfig-induced Safe mode boot loop - Similar Threads - Escape MSConfig induced

2. Windows 11 Booted into safe mode from msconfig setting to uninstall graphics driver with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Booted into safe mode from msconfig setting to uninstall graphics driver with...: booted into safe mode via msconfig to uninstall graphics driver with DDU uninstaller go to restart, keyboard and mouse isnt working.can enter biostried different USB slots, no help. tried reverting to a old restore point , no help. never had an issue before.nothing in bios...
  3. Windows 11 Booted into safe mode from msconfig setting to uninstall graphics driver with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Booted into safe mode from msconfig setting to uninstall graphics driver with...: booted into safe mode via msconfig to uninstall graphics driver with DDU uninstaller go to restart, keyboard and mouse isnt working.can enter biostried different USB slots, no help. tried reverting to a old restore point , no help. never had an issue before.nothing in bios...
  4. How do I get back to msconfig from safe mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I get back to msconfig from safe mode?: I lost a background image at startup that showed different places around the world and I typed in this problem on Duck Duck Go. I got several suggested fixes and settled on one that had me run msconfig and under General, uncheck Normal start and check Selective Start. I did...
  5. How do I get back to msconfig from safe mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I get back to msconfig from safe mode?: I lost a background image at startup that showed different places around the world and I typed in this problem on Duck Duck Go. I got several suggested fixes and settled on one that had me run msconfig and under General, uncheck Normal start and check Selective Start. I did...
  6. How do I get back to msconfig from safe mode?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Can't escape from Safe mode - password issues

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't escape from Safe mode - password issues: I've been having a lot of troubles with my AMD driver recently, i tried to use an AMD cleanup tool to uninstall all AMD software but to do so it needed to use safe mode. I didn't think twice about it, however once the system re-booted i'm being asked to sign into my account...
  8. No monitor after trying to boot to safe mode with msconfig

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No monitor after trying to boot to safe mode with msconfig: I recently tried to restart my pcninto safe mode in order to run some diagnostics. I entered safemode through msconfig. After booting this way, my monitor has completely stopped recieving signal. Ive tried plugging it into other ports and even used other monitors with no...
  9. Escape from Safe mode boot loop using an installation disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Escape from Safe mode boot loop using an installation disk: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-10-stuck-in-safe-mode-and-does-not/d3a2292a-07bf-48e6-ba39-3e30fd7722e9?page=1 I was following the instructions above which were working up until I reached the command prompt screen (image #9). My...
  10. Manual "Escape" from MSCONFIG settings (i.e., Diagnostic Boot)

in Windows 10 Support
    Manual "Escape" from MSCONFIG settings (i.e., Diagnostic Boot): Once again, I've proven my handle to be correct. Clearly the problem lies within the confines of the little plastic box and not the highly intelligent, devastatingly handsome tech sitting in front of it! Customer brought me an Aspire E1-510P (Acer) last night. She...