Windows 10: How to find which product key has been used for my installed Windows?

Discus and support How to find which product key has been used for my installed Windows? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows 10 x64 As I have multiple retail license keys, I am unsure which one is in use right now. There are 3rd party key finders that may show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tfwul, Aug 27, 2015.

1. tfwul Win User

How to find which product key has been used for my installed Windows?

Windows 10 x64

As I have multiple retail license keys, I am unsure which one is in use right now.

There are 3rd party key finders that may show the key in use, but I prefer to obtain the key using Windows own tools, if possible. For instance using a CMD.
    (Am uncertain about these 'key finders': can they be trusted?)

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    =

:)

tfwul, Aug 27, 2015

2. I lost track of which product key I used for which PC

I've been purchasing Windows 10 online. I have 3 digital licences, 2 of which are Home and one of them Pro.

Recently, one of the PC's Windows got broken and needs to be reinstalled. But, I don't know which product key I used for the PC... And I didn't link the PC to my Microsoft account, so it makes it more difficult.

What should I do? I installed 10 Home on the PC, I have two Home licences. Can I try to enter all product keys one by one? Will the activation process tell me which one works? What if both of them work? Is it possible that one or both of them become tainted(marked
    as pirated copy of Windows)?

DavidSterkehus, Aug 27, 2015
  3. I lost track of which product key I used for which PC

Thanks.

Turns out, I didn't need the key. Windows activated on its own. I just needed to tick out which keys I already used(which are all of them).

DavidSterkehus, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Open admin Command prompt:

*Start+X
    A
    select Yes

then type slmgr -dlv <enter>

Under the Partial Product Key, you will see the last 5 characters (-XXXXX) of the key in use.
    If these are unknown to you, You can post these characters here, or you could google "-XXXXX" which should tell you if this is a generic Windows 10 key.

The only other Microsoft program that is generally available that I know which will tell you your FULL key is the Media Creation Tool*, once it has been run, in the file:
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\ windlp.state.xml (which needs to be copied out of the folder to another location like desktop or documents, and it then should open in Internet Explorer, or another browser.)

In the following group of lines about 2/3rds of the way down the file you should find Product Key:

Code: <LicenseStateFound>0</LicenseStateFound> <PKeyLocation>8</PKeyLocation> <ImageName>Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview</ImageName> <ProductKey>VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T</ProductKey> <EditionId>Professional</EditionId> <SystemLanguage>en-GB</SystemLanguage> <InstallChannel>Retail</InstallChannel>[/quote] *Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums for instructions.

The Media Creation Tool would need to be run from each system that you wish to know the full product key details.

Fafhrd, Aug 27, 2015
  5. tfwul Win User
    Thanks a lot! What I didn't know, but know now, is that the key currently is in use, is different from the original key.
    Meaning, after the upgrade, I believe the installed license key reads differently.

I just 'discovered' a tool named 'ShowkeyPlus' Showkey - Windows 10 Forums
    indeed showing the original key.

Thanks again !
    =

tfwul, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to find which product key has been used for my installed Windows? - Similar Threads - find product key

2. How to find my product key i used to install Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to find my product key i used to install Windows 10?: I want to install Windows 10 in a vm but i need a product key to get admin on it how to find my product key from my existing install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-my-product-key-i-used-to-install/6531890f-d191-437c-a8d6-7b8db883791a
  3. How to find my product key i used to install Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find my product key i used to install Windows 10?: I want to install Windows 10 in a vm but i need a product key to get admin on it how to find my product key from my existing install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-my-product-key-i-used-to-install/6531890f-d191-437c-a8d6-7b8db883791a
  4. How to find my product key i used to install Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to find Windows Product Key which already came installed in device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find Windows Product Key which already came installed in device?: I wanted to know my windows key but and I dont how to, is there any method from which I can find the key in the Windows itself? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-windows-product-key-which-already-came/3aa79d00-3613-4b1f-82e8-7913ae7238e6
  6. How to find Windows Product Key which already came installed in device?

How to find Windows Product Key which already came installed in device?: I wanted to know my windows key but and I dont how to, is there any method from which I can find the key in the Windows itself? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-find-windows-product-key-which-already-came/3aa79d00-3613-4b1f-82e8-7913ae7238e6
  7. How do I find my product keys are used on which machines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I find my product keys are used on which machines: I had purchased some product keys from the Microsoft Store back in 2016-17. I have been using those on Virtual Machines mostly. Sometimes I would destroy those VMs to create new ones. I am not able to use my product keys anymore. I keep getting an error that says the key is...
  8. How do I find my product keys are used on which machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I find my product keys are used on which machines: I had purchased some product keys from the Microsoft Store back in 2016-17. I have been using those on Virtual Machines mostly. Sometimes I would destroy those VMs to create new ones. I am not able to use my product keys anymore. I keep getting an error that says the key is...
  9. How do I find my product keys are used on which machines

10. Don't know which Windows 7 Product Key has been used

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Don't know which Windows 7 Product Key has been used: I am planning a clean install on a new SSD. I've read that I have until December 31 to do the upgrade. I have used the media creation tool to create a disk. My problem is that I have a half-dozen windows 7 Home Premium boxes and don't know which ones have been used and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. has my windows product key been used?