Windows 10: how to force Windows to use the Ethernet connection?

Discus and support how to force Windows to use the Ethernet connection? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The scenario: I need to copy a large amount of data from my laptop (Windows 10) to the backup server. I do this by dragging/dropping files from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BerndBausch, Mar 2, 2019.

1. how to force Windows to use the Ethernet connection?

The scenario:

• I need to copy a large amount of data from my laptop (Windows 10) to the backup server.
      I do this by dragging/dropping files from the local Explorer window to the Explorer window that displays the backup server's files.
    • I had disabled the wired LAN interface earlier. The PC is currently connected via WLAN only.
    • I enable the PC's wired LAN.
    • The throughput while copying is lower than 4MB/sec. Normally, when I use wired LAN, I get at least ten times as much. Task Manager confirms that the data goes over the WLAN interface.

How can I tell Windows to use the wired network interface which I just enabled?

Of course, I could restart the PC. This solution is more than inconvenient, since it takes about 10-15 minutes and closes all applications that are currently open.

Strangely, when I download something from the internet, Task Manager shows that the wired interface is used.

:)

BerndBausch, Mar 2, 2019
  2. EdTittel Win User

Setting a metered connection for Ethernet?

Please permit me to respectfully disagree, battlezone. Not only is it possible to do this, TenForums offers a tutorial that explains exactly how, step-by-step: Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10. Do please check it out, won't you?
    Thanks,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 2, 2019
  3. RevoLand Win User
    Windows 10 Ethernet connection randomly disconnects

Hello,

So this issue has been annoying me since i have changed my old i5-4670 with a ryzen.

Ethernet: Realtek 8111H (MSI X370 Gaming Plus)
    Modem/Router: Airties Air 5760

What i have tried so far to fix my issue:
    • Re-installing Windows
    • Updating Ryzen chipset drivers
    • Updating Realtek LAN drivers (both from MSI & Realtek)
    • Updating MSI' LAN releated drivers (MSI Gaming Lan Manager)
    • Replacing ethernet cable
    • Restarting router to factory settings
    Still no luck, keeps happening randomly. Sometimes it is stable for days then it is not stable for 20 mins. Happening when gaming or idle, or while streaming via steam link.
    Windows' own issue fixer thingy fix the issue for the moment, re-plugging the cable, disabling & enabling the ethernet adapter also fixes the issue for the moment.
    Also i am the only one having this issue in the network, TV and phones are still connected to wifi.

It is started to be real annoying, so time to get help to fix the issue from TPU. Thanks in advance! *I Love TPU :lovetpu:

RevoLand, Mar 2, 2019
  4. how to force Windows to use the Ethernet connection?

My reliable ethernet connection no longer works

Hi Marcia,

To better understand the query, please answer the following questions:

• After restarting is your computer in normal mode or not?
    • Are you getting any error message?

I suggest you to reset the modem\ router and check if the Ethernet connection works or not.

If still the issue persist then I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article
    “Fix network connection issues” and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-network-connection-issues

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Mar 2, 2019
Thema:

how to force Windows to use the Ethernet connection?

1. how to force Windows to use the Ethernet connection? - Similar Threads - force Ethernet connection

2. How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How ethernet-only connection connects to WiFi?: My work computer PC does not allow for wifi connection and only allows ethernet connection. This is fine when I'm at home. While traveling, what device can I use to connect to a hotel's wifi, while using my ethernet cable, but without being able to download drivers into my...
  3. How to I connect to ethernet with no connection options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to I connect to ethernet with no connection options?: I just went from Windows 11 to Windows 10 because that OS works better with my pc, I've been trying to set it up but i cannot find any options whenever I look in Change Adapter Settings. I've seen images online that there are supposed to be things there to pick from, but mine...
  4. How to I connect to ethernet with no connection options?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to I connect to ethernet with no connection options?: I just went from Windows 11 to Windows 10 because that OS works better with my pc, I've been trying to set it up but i cannot find any options whenever I look in Change Adapter Settings. I've seen images online that there are supposed to be things there to pick from, but mine...
  5. Use LTE for internet will ethernet is connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use LTE for internet will ethernet is connected: Which are the steps i have to make in order to use LTE for internet while ethernet is connected for docking to my car?I use Windows 11 Version 22H2.Thank you....
  6. Use LTE for internet will ethernet is connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use LTE for internet will ethernet is connected: Which are the steps i have to make in order to use LTE for internet while ethernet is connected for docking to my car?I use Windows 11 Version 22H2.Thank you....
  7. Cannot connect to 5ghz using ethernet

Cannot connect to 5ghz using ethernet: Hi, I recently finished my computer, and after some issues, i connected to my router using ethernet. I am on the 2.4ghz band, however, and don't have the option to connect to 5ghz. On my wireless adapter, I also only see the 2.4ghz band, but that is because the adapter is...
  8. How to connect to internet using ethernet hard wired

How to connect to internet using ethernet hard wired: I just purchased a new computer and I need to connect it directly to my modem and not Wi-Fi. Which steps should I take to configure my network?...
  9. Cannot connect using an Ethernet

Cannot connect using an Ethernet: Hello I'm trying to connect to my internet through an Ethernet and it doesn't seem to want to connect. I have listed my ipconfig if this is useful. Anything else just let me know. :) Windows Version is 1903. ipconfig.txt 149204
  10. How to not use cell data when wifi and/or ethernet is connected?

How to not use cell data when wifi and/or ethernet is connected?: I thought that this question is silly. I've never had to worry about my smart phone using my cell data when wifi is clearly connected. This seems not to be the case on win 10. The moment I connect cell modem, it starts sending data as fast as its 3G speed can do. All I wanted...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. force ethernet conection windows 10

2. how to force windows to use ethernet

3. force software to use ethernet card