Windows 10: How to get ride of Threat

Discus and support How to get ride of Threat in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Split from this thread. My threat is called "Severe". I don't know how to get rid of it.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KathrynChmurny1, Oct 28, 2019.

1. How to get ride of Threat

Split from this thread.​

My threat is called "Severe". I don't know how to get rid of it.

:)

KathrynChmurny1, Oct 28, 2019
  2. Try3 Win User

Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

3. notb Win User
    Riding the Crypto wave

What you're suggesting is literaty one of the worst mistakes beginning investors make. *Smile How to get ride of Threat :)
    Please don't do it. *Smile How to get ride of Threat :)

4. gagagaON Win User

How to get ride of Threat

Is restoring a quarantined threat the same as allowing the threat?

My Windows defender scan reported a threat last week. I quarantined it. After a few days, I updated my defender virus definitions, restored the threat, and ran another scan (because I wanted to find out if it was a false positive). This new scan did not
    report any threat.

However, under defender's threat history, allowed items, I see this threat listed. I do NOT want to allow the threat, just wanted to find out if the latest definitions would still reported the file as a threat. How should I do that? Thank you. I am using
    windows 10.

gagagaON, Oct 28, 2019
Thema:

How to get ride of Threat

1. How to get ride of Threat - Similar Threads - ride Threat

2. Afraid I must ask again how to stop EDGE and/or BING from over riding my settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Afraid I must ask again how to stop EDGE and/or BING from over riding my settings.: I have gone into settings and set things so that Chrome would be my browser but from time to time I will click on a link not noticing anything indicating it goes to Microsoft and then suddenly everything I try to link to ends up in Edge and then Bing becomes my search engine...
  3. Afraid I must ask again how to stop EDGE and/or BING from over riding my settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Afraid I must ask again how to stop EDGE and/or BING from over riding my settings.: I have gone into settings and set things so that Chrome would be my browser but from time to time I will click on a link not noticing anything indicating it goes to Microsoft and then suddenly everything I try to link to ends up in Edge and then Bing becomes my search engine...
  4. Afraid I must ask again how to stop EDGE and/or BING from over riding my settings.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How do I over ride administration pin an password so that I can download my program

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I over ride administration pin an password so that I can download my program: So I bought a MSI laptop and it had a two different login screen names one was for a user and the other one was administrative I have the PIN code to the one user that sold me the laptop so that I can get into the computer but when I go to download anything it won't let me...
  6. How do I over ride administration pin an password so that I can download my program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I over ride administration pin an password so that I can download my program: So I bought a MSI laptop and it had a two different login screen names one was for a user and the other one was administrative I have the PIN code to the one user that sold me the laptop so that I can get into the computer but when I go to download anything it won't let me...
  7. How do I over ride administration pin an password so that I can download my program

8. Narrator is turned off but I still have blue boxes outlining everything. How can I get ride...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Narrator is turned off but I still have blue boxes outlining everything. How can I get ride...: Narrator is turned off but I still have blue boxes outlining everything. How can I get ride of the boxes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/narrator-is-turned-off-but-i-still-have-blue-boxes/a91f4ea4-0102-4454-9595-b2640e458221
  9. Narrator is turned off but I still have blue boxes outlining everything. How can I get ride...

Narrator is turned off but I still have blue boxes outlining everything. How can I get ride...: Narrator is turned off but I still have blue boxes outlining everything. How can I get ride of the boxes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/narrator-is-turned-off-but-i-still-have-blue-boxes/a91f4ea4-0102-4454-9595-b2640e458221
  10. How to get ride of the transparent frame around the screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get ride of the transparent frame around the screen?: Lately, I can only see the computer screen from a box in the middle of my desktop computer monitor. The rest of the area is like a thick frame and milky transparent, and I am hardly able to see the screen., I have a Microsoft Acer desktop computer with an Asus Monitor. Does...