Windows 10: How to get Windows 10 again if HD crashes free from Microsoft

Discus and support How to get Windows 10 again if HD crashes free from Microsoft in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have a dell computer with a 500gb HD. The hard drive has win 10 installed which is the free up grade from Microsoft. The hard drive is making strange... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lowell12, Jan 14, 2016.

1. lowell12 Win User

How to get Windows 10 again if HD crashes free from Microsoft

Have a dell computer with a 500gb HD. The hard drive has win 10 installed which is the free up grade from Microsoft. The hard drive is making strange sounds. I feel the drive is going bad. I have purchased a new drive and want to put the free Microsoft win 10 on the new drive. Do I need a back up of the current drive? I really want a clean install? Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks .

:)

lowell12, Jan 14, 2016

2. Windows Pro 7 to Windows 10 success, then months later crash. Won't recognize the old Win 7 Key. What to do.

Success on free upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7 Pro. Then HD crash. Changed HD and reinstalled Win 10 but will not recognize the Key used for original 7 that was stuck on the bottom of a used PC friend bought. How do I fix this problem. Friend had Win 10
    but I can't get it back for her? Do I have to go back to Win 7 and forget Win 10? Thanks, Pat

PatrickLong_487, Jan 14, 2016
  3. I bought new Dell Lattitude with Windows 8, got forced Windows 10 upgrade, have receipt for laptop purchase, but now has no ACTIVATION?

How can I get activation key?

But HD crashed after Windows 10 forced Update, had to buy new HD, they installed Windows 10 on it as well but they didn't have Activation Key obviously.

Do I have to pay? I already bought the Dell with Windows 8 on it. Windows 10 probably caused the HD to crash anyways!!!

{Removed details of sale and serial numbers}

What do I do?

JakeBenjamin, Jan 14, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 14, 2016
  5. lowell12 Win User
    Hello Brick,

Thank you for welcoming me to Windows 10 forum. I tried your first suggestion Windows 10 ISO download with my old hard drive still in my desktop. I assume I was to keep the old hard in my unit to get the download? I finally put the new hard drive in my unit and used the dvd disk I made from the download and win 10 started to install. Everything went well until it was time to put the product key number in?? I had no idea what the product key number was? So I thought, I would install my legal copy of Win 8.1 pro on the new hard drive activate and then I could get the free Win 10 Pro. Installed 8.1 pro and my product key would not work. I could not activate my 8.1 Pro on line or by phone?? Called Microsoft and they told me that my 8.1 product key is blocked? I got no further information from Microsoft other then take my legal copy of win 8.1 pro back to the store (Walmart where I brought it two years ago) and get another copy?? I don't understand this blocked situation?

I hope I explained this situation well enough for you to understand..Thank you

lowell12, Jan 25, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    A key can be blocked for several reasons, but usually because it's been abused. If it had been posted in a public forum, that would get it blocked real quick.

I'm not sure what else you'll be able to do other than purchase a new copy. *Sad

Brink, Jan 25, 2016
  7. If you still can, there is SW that enables you to clone your disc. I did this when changing to a Samsung SSD to speed up my computer and Samsung supplied the cloning SW. No key entry was required. I hope this helps.

DaveCheltenham, Jan 25, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

You had already upgraded andinstalled windows 10 previously. You do not need to enter any key on a reinstall. Just skip

Also, you should download latest version of iso anyway.

cereberus, Jan 25, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    cereberus is correct. Windows 10 has been installed and activated on the computer once already as an upgrade, therefore the digital entitlement for Windows 10 is supposed to be stored on Microsoft activation servers. If you install the exact same version and edition of Windows 10 on that computer - click skip or do this later or I don't have a product key when asked for a product key. It is supposed to retrieve the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers and activate.

I use the words supposed to because early on after the July rollout Microsoft had some problems with their activation servers and some digital entitlements did not get stored correctly.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to get Windows 10 again if HD crashes free from Microsoft - Similar Threads - again crashes free

2. Windows crashes again and again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows crashes again and again: Hello, My computer keeps crashing again and again, showing me the blue screen of death with these 5 errors:Reference by pointer Kernel Security Check failure System service exeptionBad object headerirql not less or equalI did try the solutions mentioned in other threads such...
  3. Free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, please do again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, please do again: Hello!I have a genuine Windows 7 that I have been using for many years. I really love this operating system, and when Windows 10 came out I didn't want to update. But after the end of support in 2020, Windows 7 has some difficulties when using the operating system. It's a...
  4. Free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, please do again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, please do again: Hello!I have a genuine Windows 7 that I have been using for many years. I really love this operating system, and when Windows 10 came out I didn't want to update. But after the end of support in 2020, Windows 7 has some difficulties when using the operating system. It's a...
  5. how to get windows 10 for free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to get windows 10 for free: how to get windows 10 at no cost https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free/10891b0a-8725-4851-8929-5aef8b71d9e2
  6. How to get windows 10 free

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to get windows 10 free: So long story short i got some multiple pcs (mine and parents)that need to be upgraded to windows 10, because i procrastinately missed the deadline back in 2016.looking back I feel really regretful about this because of the free opportunity and now the trouble in installing...
  7. My Windows 10 Free Upgrade PC HD crashed - Free reinstall?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My Windows 10 Free Upgrade PC HD crashed - Free reinstall?: I have an old PC that had an OEM Windows 8 install (and i do have that product key) that died - My SSD completely crashed and I have to install a new hard drive and start over from scratch. I still have my old Windows 8 install discs and the product keys, but I don’t know...
  8. How to get Windows 10 Free

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to get Windows 10 Free: I have a computer that has windows 10 before the disk crashed. We have disc recovery, but the windows operating system is at 8. Is there anyway to get Windows 10 upgrade without purchasing a new Windows 10 operating system?...
  9. Transferring free Windows 10 to new HD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Transferring free Windows 10 to new HD?: I will try to get to the point but it's been years since i've needed to post online about help with PCs. It's surprising how little clarification I seem to be able to get on this despite many articles and forum posts about a similiar issues I've read. My HP Envy 700-047c...
  10. Windows 9 said to be free (again), this time by Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 said to be free (again), this time by Microsoft: We have been hearing for some time that Windows 9 could be free, and thanks to a Microsoft official in Indonesia, the rumors are looking like they will be true. The information is said to come from Andreas Diantoro, who, according to his LinkedIn profile, is the president of...