Windows 10: How to make the Start be the default?

Discus and support How to make the Start be the default? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just built a new machine. When It starts it opens to the Windows back ground image. I have to click the start icon in the task bar to bring up start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CalypsoArt, Mar 3, 2018.

1. How to make the Start be the default?

I just built a new machine. When It starts it opens to the Windows back ground image. I have to click the start icon in the task bar to bring up start with the tiles. On my other machines and my surface it defaults to the start with Tiles. Also, clicking any where on the screen brings up the tiles. Not so on the new machine. Only the start button in the left taskbar corner will open the Start with tiles. This has to be a switch somewhere?

I want this,

How to make the Start be the default? [​IMG]

but get this.

:)

CalypsoArt, Mar 3, 2018
  2. Geethu B Win User

How to make the Start Menu open by default on the Fullscreen Start Screen?

Hi Jack,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Be design you may have to click on the hamburger icon to open left pane when start menu is in full screen. I suggest you to leave a Feedback in the feedback app. You may simply search for “Windows Feedback” from the search box.

Refer the article for information about Start Menu.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/getstarted-see-whats-on-the-menu

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post if you need further assistance or information on this issue.

Geethu B, Mar 3, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu - How to make the links on the left side lead to Libraries?

Thank you for providing the information that we need. The icons or links in the Start Menu that leads to the local folders is by design. The feature to make them lead to their respective libraries is not yet available in Windows 10. Your feedback helps us
    shape Windows, we encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine
    what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our
    support article
    and
    YouTube video

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

• On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.
    • Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press +
      Add new feedback
    • Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
    • Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking
      Begin monitoring
      (or Start capture) near the end of the form;
      Stop monitoring when you’re done.
    • Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
    • Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
    • Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
    • Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
    • Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like
      URL Manager link>).

As always, your input will be highly appreciated.

Stephanie Sal, Mar 3, 2018
  4. cbwilsha Win User

How to make the Start be the default?

See if THIS article helps.

cbwilsha, Mar 4, 2018
  5. Thanks, but I have been through that article and several others on other sites. I've played with all the settings. I cannot access the start tile screen without clicking the start button. I can't find this addressed anywhere.

CalypsoArt, Mar 4, 2018
  6. nt62 Win User
  7. CalypsoArt, Mar 4, 2018
  8. nt62 Win User

this is what boots the start screen automatically
    this is what returns to the start screen automatically when closing a window
    other than that - … ?

nt62, Mar 4, 2018
  9. Edwin New Member
    Over on Eight Forums, @Brink created an application to boot straight to the Start Screen, called Apps 8.1.exe...

but, I can't find the tutorial on it! *Sad
    (Maybe @Brink will stop by and shed some light on it!) *Wink

Anyhoo, if we can find it, you could put a copy of the .exe in your Startup folder, it will work on Windows 10, but it will look like this upon bootup:

Edwin, Mar 4, 2018
  10. nt62 Win User
    @ Edwin
    I don't know what the op is talking about
    If system set to tablet mode - it will boot to the start screen

@ CalypsoArt

What build of Windows 10 are you using?
    The op suggests using windows without touching the Windows Key ??

11. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, I know. Tablet Mode sucks though! *Wink

Edwin, Mar 4, 2018
  12. nt62 Win User
    If set to tablet mode - pc should boot to something like this and return to this when closing a window automatically

13. Edwin New Member

The application I mentioned earlier was created to re-enable these features:

Edwin, Mar 4, 2018
  14. nt62 Win User
    To most yep. *Smile
    if the op wants the system to behave like windows 8 - tablet mode is it
    however … using windows 8 still required use of the windows key or the edge swipe

15. nt62 Win User
    this is not available in windows 10 is it?

Thema:

1. How to make the Start be the default? - Similar Threads - Start default

2. Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...: Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have set as default? I have also tried setting the links to the alternative browser but still, it opens Edge browser....
  3. Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have...: Why does Windows 11 Start/Search default to Edge browser regardless of what browser I have set as default? I have also tried setting the links to the alternative browser but still, it opens Edge browser....
  4. When signing in, wrong account as "default" when starting pc.

in Windows 10 Customization
    When signing in, wrong account as "default" when starting pc.: Context: A long while back my graphics card messed up, and put this pc completely out of service. Only recently did we get to buy and install a new one. However, in order to do so because it wouldn't detect it we reset the device to default.Unfortunately, right as we were...
  5. Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service keeps defaulting to Automatic Delayed Start...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service keeps defaulting to Automatic Delayed Start...: Running Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 22631.3155.I have moved house, and connected to new WiFi connection on a different router. My old setup was ethernet connection, on different router. Ever since, the title service keeps defaulting to Automatic Delayed Start in services.msc. I...
  6. Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service keeps defaulting to Automatic Delayed Start...

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service keeps defaulting to Automatic Delayed Start...: Running Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 22631.3155.I have moved house, and connected to new WiFi connection on a different router. My old setup was ethernet connection, on different router. Ever since, the title service keeps defaulting to Automatic Delayed Start in services.msc. I...
  7. Why do the explorer tabs start as the default file location, but if I open a new window it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do the explorer tabs start as the default file location, but if I open a new window it...: So if I'm working on a bunch of related things and want to use tabs I get a completely unrelated folder opened up in the new tab. But if I want to work on two completely separate things and I open up a new window it takes me to exactly where I just was.It seems like that is...
  8. Why do the explorer tabs start as the default file location, but if I open a new window it...

Why do the explorer tabs start as the default file location, but if I open a new window it...: So if I'm working on a bunch of related things and want to use tabs I get a completely unrelated folder opened up in the new tab. But if I want to work on two completely separate things and I open up a new window it takes me to exactly where I just was.It seems like that is...
  9. When I click on my start menu it defaults to the center, how do you change it back to the left?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I click on my start menu it defaults to the center, how do you change it back to the left?: I'm running Windows 11, my start menu is where I want it, to the left, but when I click on it, the menu is in the center. This just started happening a few days ago, any ideas? Thanks, Micky...
  10. When I click on my start menu it defaults to the center, how do you change it back to the left?

When I click on my start menu it defaults to the center, how do you change it back to the left?: I'm running Windows 11, my start menu is where I want it, to the left, but when I click on it, the menu is in the center. This just started happening a few days ago, any ideas? Thanks, Micky...