Windows 10: How to make Windows 10 display fly-out menus from the right side?

Discus and support How to make Windows 10 display fly-out menus from the right side? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It may be a little UI gripe but it's been bugging me a lot when you have to do it a "million" times a day. Say, on one installation of Windows 10,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ahmd, Jan 29, 2017.

1. ahmd Win User

How to make Windows 10 display fly-out menus from the right side?

It may be a little UI gripe but it's been bugging me a lot when you have to do it a "million" times a day.

Say, on one installation of Windows 10, all menu flyouts seem to come out from the right -- like we're used it in previous versions of Windows. Here's an example:

How to make Windows 10 display fly-out menus from the right side? [​IMG]

But then on some installations, they come out from the left:

How to make Windows 10 display fly-out menus from the right side? [​IMG]

Why is it doing it and is there a setting to make them fly out on the right?

:)

2. Search and Quick Access -- Blank right-mouse fly-out

I have read that Quick Access and Search are now tied together in Windows 10. I probably disabled "recent file" display in Quick Access, but would think that this has nothing to do with Search.

In Windows 7 and 8.1 if I copy text from a web page or from an application and try to right mouse click and paste into the Search box, the fly out is blank. The fly-out is there, but no options are displayed. CTRL+V will paste the text into the search box,
    which is fine, but defeats a "power user" feature I use multiple times per hour and frees me from using the keyboard.

Quick Access is disable from showing recent files to keep other eyes from seeing what I was recently doing. I am doing nothing morally wrong with my files, but still would rather others can not track what I have been doing.

Do I have to enable Quick Access to get the fly-out to display functions or is this a glitch that can be fixed in Windows 10?

Clevelander&Happy, Jan 29, 2017
  3. dusty13 Win User
    Windows logo no longer bringing up the windows 10 screen?

Sadly the problems continue, After sitting over 3 hrs repairing windows many of the basic functions don't work. I now have the windows 10 fly out screen but if I right click the logo none of the menu items does anything. No command prompt. no programs
    and features, no control panel or any other of the functions on that menu. In short none of the system functions are working.

dusty13, Jan 29, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 29, 2017
  5. ahmd Win User
    Thanks for the link. It worked!

But you know what, there's no way in hell I would've found that "Tablet PC Settings" window by just browsing the UI. How stupid is that? Plus, why is it even a tablet PC? I have a stationary desktop!

Anyway, can you explain one thing that is new to me. What is this thing?

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{80F3F1D5-FECA-45F3-BC32-752C152E456E}

I understand that %windir%\explorer.exe is the path to the Windows Explorer, but what is the rest of that command line?

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome.

LOL, yeah it is kind of buried, and not where you would think about looking for that setting.

shell:::{80F3F1D5-FECA-45F3-BC32-752C152E456E} is the shell command for opening "Tablet PC Settings". I just added explorer in front of it so it could be used as a shortcut if wanted.

Shell Commands in Windows 10

Brink, Jan 29, 2017
  7. ahmd Win User
    Oh wow. They made things "easier" in Windows 10. I can imagine explaining this command for my Mom over the phone *Smile

"Shell", yes, "shell", "es-eh-ee-el-el", "Got it?"
    "Yeah"
    "Then three colons"
    "How many?"
    "Three"
    "OK"
    "Then opening curly bracket"
    "Curly what?"
    "Arghhh!!!!!"

But seriously. I'm curious, is there a list of other commands with those crazy numbers in curly brackets?

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Oh yes. The tutorial link I posted above has a list of known shell commands. *Smile

Brink, Jan 29, 2017
  9. ahmd Win User
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 30, 2017
  11. ahmd Win User
    Very nice compilation. Thank you!

Thema:

1. How to make Windows 10 display fly-out menus from the right side? - Similar Threads - display fly menus

2. My pointer sometimes floats, flies, skips left and right, and hides on the side of screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My pointer sometimes floats, flies, skips left and right, and hides on the side of screen: Sometimes when I try to drag the pointer out hiding on the side of the screen, it comes for 1/4th of inch and it pops back in. Sometimes I wait for 30 minutes to drag it out, it allows to to slelect and clicks pops right back to the sides of the screen. On a luck day, the...
  3. My pointer sometimes floats, flies, skips left and right, and hides on the side of screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pointer sometimes floats, flies, skips left and right, and hides on the side of screen: Sometimes when I try to drag the pointer out hiding on the side of the screen, it comes for 1/4th of inch and it pops back in. Sometimes I wait for 30 minutes to drag it out, it allows to to slelect and clicks pops right back to the sides of the screen. On a luck day, the...
  4. My pointer sometimes floats, flies, skips left and right, and hides on the side of screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 7 Menus changed side from right to left

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Menus changed side from right to left: Hi,My windows 7 menus appeared from the right to left Hebrew language, but somehow it changed and i see it from left to right.i mean, that the directory selection moved to the left, and the sub menu moved to the right... switched sides anyway...how do i fix this ?...
  6. Windows 7 Menus changed side from right to left

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 Menus changed side from right to left: Hi,My windows 7 menus appeared from the right to left Hebrew language, but somehow it changed and i see it from left to right.i mean, that the directory selection moved to the left, and the sub menu moved to the right... switched sides anyway...how do i fix this ?...
  7. Office Fly Out Icon

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office Fly Out Icon: Anyone know where to find the location of this "fly out" icon on the start menu? [img] I've installed Office 365 and it only appeared on one of the PC's and I like to on all of them. It saves a lot of space on the start menu. 172752
  8. How do I Make a Window Stay on the Right Side of the Screen?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I Make a Window Stay on the Right Side of the Screen?: I frequently have to compare items side by side. However, when I move a window to the right side of my screen it frequently jumps to full screen - an unexpected and unrequested behavior. MOST ANNOYING. I then have to fight for several attempts to get the window to stay the...
  9. How to fix laptop right side display

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to fix laptop right side display: [IMG]The right side display of my laptop has gone really weird and showing grey. Really need help because I'm in middle of my work please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-laptop-right-side-display/a0d675e6-4d5c-4f3d-bd94-1fd4aadf016c
  10. Displaying Windows side by side How?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Displaying Windows side by side How?: I have a large screen monitor which is wide enough and high enough to display 2 A4 size sheets in portrait orientation side by side. I have just moved to Windows 10 with this machine and it refuses to position two windows in this manner. I have been using the task bar, right...