Windows 10: Set Menus to Open Aligned to Left or Right in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Menus to Open Aligned to Left or Right in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Menus to Open Aligned to Left or Right in Windows 10 How to Set Menus to Open Aligned to Left or Right in Windows 10 In Windows, you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Set Menus to Open Aligned to Left or Right in Windows 10

How to: Set Menus to Open Aligned to Left or Right in Windows 10

How to Set Menus to Open Aligned to Left or Right in Windows 10

In Windows, you can change where menus appear on the screen by indicating which hand you write with.

If you set right-handed, then menus appear to the left of your hand (pointer).

If you set left-handed, then menus appear to the right of your hand (pointer).

This tutorial will show you how to have menus open aligned to the left or right by default for your account in Windows 10.

If you open a menu near the display border and the menu doesn't have enough space, it will automatically open aligned to the other side by default.

Contents
    • Option One: To Set Menus to Open to the Left or Right in Tablet PC Settings
    • Option Two: To Set Menus to Open to the Left or Right in Pen & Windows Ink Settings
    • Option Three: To Set Menus to Open to the Left or Right using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Menus opening aligned to left or right

Set Menus to Open Aligned to Left or Right in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Set Menus to Open to the Left or Right in Tablet PC Settings
    1 Press the Win + R keys to open Run, copy and paste the location below into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Tablet PC Settings.
    %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{80F3F1D5-FECA-45F3-BC32-752C152E456E}
    2 Click/tap on the Other tab in Tablet PC Settings, select (dot) Right-handed (default - open to left) or Left-handed (open to right) for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Set Menus to Open to the Left or Right in Pen & Windows Ink Settings
    This option is only available if your Windows 10 device has a pen.

1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Devices icon.

2 Click/tap on Pen & Windows Ink on the left side, and select Right Hand (default - open to left) or Left Hand (open to right) in the Choose which hand you write with drop menu for what you want on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3 You can now close Settings if you like. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Set Menus to Open to the Left or Right using a REG file
    The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

MenuDropAlignment DWORD

0 = Open to right (left-handed)
    1 = Open to left (right-handed)

1 Do step 2 (open to right) or step 3 (open to left) below for what you would like to do.

2 To Set Menus to Open to the Right - Left Hand
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Open_menus_aligned_to_right.reg

Download

3 To Set Menus to Open to the Left - Right Hand
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Open_menus_aligned_to_left.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 sign in to apply.

8 If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 20, 2017
  2. Brink Win User

Always Dialog opens on left side from Right Click menu

Hello, *Smile

Double check your settings in the tutorial below to make sure menus are set for "left handed" to have it open to the right again.

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. File Explorer is Aligned Left Instead of Right

Hi,

I have just opened File Explorer in Windows 10 and everything has been aligned to the right instead of the left.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

AmandaChristofis, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

1. Set Menus to Open Aligned to Left or Right in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Menus Open

2. Left is right, right is left

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left is right, right is left: I want to switch the monitors so my single-screen taskbar is on the left monitor, not on the right. I tried using settings, switching cables, etc., without success. I'm sure that there's something simple that I'm missing....
  3. Windows 7 Menus changed side from right to left

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 Menus changed side from right to left: Hi,My windows 7 menus appeared from the right to left Hebrew language, but somehow it changed and i see it from left to right.i mean, that the directory selection moved to the left, and the sub menu moved to the right... switched sides anyway...how do i fix this ?...
  4. Windows 7 Menus changed side from right to left

Windows 7 Menus changed side from right to left: Hi,My windows 7 menus appeared from the right to left Hebrew language, but somehow it changed and i see it from left to right.i mean, that the directory selection moved to the left, and the sub menu moved to the right... switched sides anyway...how do i fix this ?...
  5. Align custom resolution to left

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Align custom resolution to left: I have a laptop with a damaged screen, there is a black vertical bar on the right side of the screen covering around 1/5 of the display. I have tried making a custom resolution to compensate for the dead section of my display but the custom resolution is aligned to centre....
  6. Align custom resolution to left

Align custom resolution to left: I have a laptop with a damaged screen, there is a black vertical bar on the right side of the screen covering around 1/5 of the display. I have tried making a custom resolution to compensate for the dead section of my display but the custom resolution is aligned to centre....
  7. Right-click menus keep randomly opening on Windows 10 tablet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right-click menus keep randomly opening on Windows 10 tablet: I'm hoping this is the right place to ask: I'm using a Windows 10 tablet with a keyboard. I've had a few problems with the touchpad before, but most of those have seemed to resolve by cleaning round the edge with a very small brush. HOWEVER, over the last few days,...
  8. App menus go to the left instead of to the right

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    App menus go to the left instead of to the right: Windows 10 Home 1909, OS build: 18363.693 --------------------------------------------------------------- Hi. Recently I've installed MP3Tag on my computer and menus are going to the opposite direction as seen in photo: [ATTACH] Then I checked other programs, and a few...
  9. Text aligned right instead of left in Messaging and People app

Text aligned right instead of left in Messaging and People app: Hi, Last year, I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, and for some reason, the text in my Messaging and People app have aligned right instead of left, which is how it is in my other apps. Any solution to this? I did post this before, but unfortunately did not...
  10. Context menus opening to the left

in Windows 10 Support
    Context menus opening to the left: .... instead of to the right, like they're SUPPOSED to. [img] 72316