Windows 10: How to prevent popup "Threats found" from Defender? Partial (!) disabl

Discus and support How to prevent popup "Threats found" from Defender? Partial (!) disabl in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Sometimes when I copy large directory trees a popup from Windows Defender appears in the lower right corner telling me: Virus & threat protection... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by pstein, Sep 24, 2019.

1. pstein Win User

How to prevent popup "Threats found" from Defender? Partial (!) disabl

Sometimes when I copy large directory trees a popup from Windows Defender appears in the lower right corner telling me:

Virus & threat protection
    Threats found
    Windows Defender Antivirus found treats. Get Details

A bell rings and the copy operation of this file is aborted.

How can I limit the warning output/action of Windows Defender?

If a threat is found:

- NO popup should appear
    - NO bell should ring
    - The copy operation should NOT be aborted

However I DO NOT want to completely disable Windows Defender:

The number of found threats in the tiny icon in SysTray should still be increased by 1.
    Furthermore I still want to be able to initiate a manual (!) scan over a dir tree by selecting "Scan with Windows Defender" from context menu of File Explorer.

How can I achieve this?

Thank you
    Peter

:)

pstein, Sep 24, 2019
  2. 31BFlem Win User

Reimage popup

Everytime I use IE the Reimageplus popup appears and wants to scan computer, finds possible threats, repair, pay etc. when defender finds no threats. is there away to prevent the reimage popup?

31BFlem, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Try3 Win User
    Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

4. How to prevent popup "Threats found" from Defender? Partial (!) disabl

How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

How to prevent popup "Threats found" from Defender? Partial (!) disabl

1. How to prevent popup "Threats found" from Defender? Partial (!) disabl - Similar Threads - prevent popup Threats

2. How to disable the popup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the popup?: My window shows automatically a setting popup how i remove it or disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-popup/49771d74-68c1-4949-8959-05021a4ebbce
  3. How to disable the popup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable the popup?: My window shows automatically a setting popup how i remove it or disable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-popup/49771d74-68c1-4949-8959-05021a4ebbce
  4. How to disable the popup?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows Defender keeps saying it found threats

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender keeps saying it found threats: The attached picture is usually what I'll find every time I restart/shut down and turn on my Windows 10 PC. It will say it found threats, ranging from Low to Severe, and I keep removing them or 'cleaning them' but they come in 3's every time. I've done deep cleans and scans...
  6. "Microsoft Defender found a threat on on my computer"

"Microsoft Defender found a threat on on my computer": I received 2 emails from Microsoft Defender Notification *** Email address is removed for privacy *** with the following message:"Microsoft Defender found a threat on YOUR COMPUTERA threat was found on the Windows laptop IMY COMPUTER on 8/20/2022. Open Microsoft Defender on...
  7. Windows Defender Threats Found Problem

Windows Defender Threats Found Problem: I got a problem where windows defender finds a deleted file that it thinks is a malware, when i try to remove it, it just appear again this is very annoying because i think its the one logging me out of my browsers...
  8. Found Threats in Windows Defender

Found Threats in Windows Defender: My windows defender found 4 threats after a full scan and I don't know what to do so I Quick scan it and it said no threats found is this normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/found-threats-in-windows-defender/b5832adb-1f92-4d2b-90ec-b702e70f2691
  9. Windows defender Full Scan no threats found but says after that threats are found

Windows defender Full Scan no threats found but says after that threats are found: Hi, I recently ran into an issue with windows defender where when I run a full scan the result is: No current threats found and 0 threats found. Then when I restart my computer and look at the message again I get this: [ATTACH] Instead of 0 threats found it says -664...
  10. Preventing Popups

in Windows 10 Support
    Preventing Popups: Running Windows 10 on 64-bit ASUS M32 PC Short of switching to Linux, how can I suppress the popup ads that have begun appearing on the Windows desktop since the last update from Microsoft? 98493