Windows 10: How to re-install Windows 10 (that was upgraded from W7) on NEW HD?

Discus and support How to re-install Windows 10 (that was upgraded from W7) on NEW HD? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, So I have an older Lenovo G550 laptop that came with Windows 7 pre-installed and has a Windows 7 licence sticker on the bottom. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fleeting, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Fleeting Win User

How to re-install Windows 10 (that was upgraded from W7) on NEW HD?

Hi all,

So I have an older Lenovo G550 laptop that came with Windows 7 pre-installed and has a Windows 7 licence sticker on the bottom. The computer was upgraded to Windows 10 when it came out as a Windows Update (so we don't have a Windows 10 licence key).

The hard drive has now failed, so a new one has been purchased as a replacement.

I read some threads on here about re-installing Windows 10 if it was an upgrade, and apparently you can do it without a key if you have the SAME hardware. But i have a NEW hard drive.

1. Has anyone attempted this with a new hard drive and been successful?
    2. If not, is there a way to get a licence key or do I have to go back to Windows 7?
    3. The computer didn't come with media, can a Windows OS be downloaded or do I have to buy the manufacturer's recovery CD? The laptop has a DVD drive in case of ISOs or can use a USB stick. (ETA: The computer that will be making the DVD or boot media is running Linux, so the Media Creation Tool mentioned in the tutorial won't work).

Thanks!!

:)

Fleeting, Mar 10, 2017

2. Upgrade and downgrade rights

I have a new Dell with Windows 7 64-bit Professional pre-installed "via downgrade rights to Windows 8". The recovery media that comes with the computer will re-install that OS (apparently -- it does boot up Windows 7 installation, and I haven't tried a complete
    re-set). The "Get Windows 10" icon is available on the machine, so I assume that I'm eligible for a free upgrade to W10 over the next 10 months.

When / if I upgrade, do I ever get recovery media that will re-install Windows 10? Suppose my drive crashes in 2 years and I have to replace it. Right now I have W7 media that will reinstall W7. But I presumably cannot restore a W10 installation (complete
    system image) to a machine with W7 installed, I would have to first re-install W10 in order to restore my system. At that future point, reinstalling W7 and selecting the free upgrade presumably would not work. So how does one recover W10 from a disk crash
    if one has W10 via upgrade from W7 (and does Dell's "thorough downgrade rights" change anything)?

DavidOdden, Mar 10, 2017
  3. tdug Win User
    Many games on steam don't "start up" (im using a laptop)

Hello,

If i downgrade back to windows 8.1 am i able to re install the windows 10 upgrade for free at a later time ?

Yes, during a year.

I did it with W7. Upgrade to W10 (activation OK).

Rollback to W7 (activation OK).

A few days after, Upgrade again to W10 (activation OK).

All my upgrades were done with the DVD (setup.exe), Inside my W7. No boot from the DVD.

4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Mar 10, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    When you downlod win10 you have th eoption for anther pc and to create a iso or usb

Samuria, Mar 10, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Mar 10, 2017
  7. Fleeting Win User
    Heh, everyone is right. I went to that link before posting this (from the tutorial, I think) and it offered me only the Media Creation Tool or the "other download options" like MSDN. When I went to it just now, it did in fact allow me to download the ISO. Which will take 17 hours on my connection, so I will try this tomorrow on my new HD.

So I guess I don't need to do anything special (other than ensure I have the right version of 10). I just pop in my DVD and it will still activate properly?

Fleeting, Mar 10, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

When it asks for a product key, there will be a link on the bottom of the page that says, "I don't have a product key." Click that link. The next screen will ask you which version you want to install. Install the same version you had before. Once you connect to the internet it will activate automatically.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to re-install Windows 10 (that was upgraded from W7) on NEW HD? - Similar Threads - install was upgraded

2. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  3. How to recover w7 key from w7 installed OS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to recover w7 key from w7 installed OS: Hello. I am going to migrate a w7 laptop to w10. The COA sticker is totally worn out. How can I recover the w7 from the system?. 154868
  4. How to recover w7 key from w7 installed OS

How to recover w7 key from w7 installed OS: Hello. I am going to migrate a w7 laptop to w10. The COA sticker is totally worn out. How can I recover the w7 from the system?. 154868
  5. Windows 10 Upgrade from W7, Installation Problem, Driver Related?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Upgrade from W7, Installation Problem, Driver Related?: We're trying to upgrade the office to 10 since all our program vendors are threatening terrible things about the W7 support ending. Some computers had no problem. The others get through the initial process, reboot, and then go straight into a screen that makes you either...
  6. copying a boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7, that works fine to a new ss hd?

copying a boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7, that works fine to a new ss hd?: I have a WD black 1 TB drive as my C: boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7 and I want to move the whole C: contents to the a new 2TB solid state hybrid FireCuda drive and I just want to know if the new ss hd drive will boot? (I remember in the past a situation doing a...
  7. Upgrade to W10 from W7 re-installed in Legacy mode

Upgrade to W10 from W7 re-installed in Legacy mode: After a HD crash last year, a repair center reinstalled W7 in BIOS mode even though this PC is new enough to support UEFI. There is no more recovery partition. With no W7 DVD to reinstall properly, can I upgrade to W10, either using an ISO I made last year or purchasing a new...
  8. Lost new Splash screens after re-upgrade from W7 How to re-enable ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost new Splash screens after re-upgrade from W7 How to re-enable ?: Hi there I had to do a W7 revert and then after that I upgraded to W7 and applied all the latest updates. However - I'm just getting the "Bog standard" W10 splash screen now - instead of those nice new ones - trivial I know compared with other people's problems but I...
  9. How to Install AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4200 drivers on W7 to Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to Install AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4200 drivers on W7 to Upgrade?: So, I don't have W10 yet and I can't upgrade to it because I just diagnosed the problem. Unfortunately there is no OFFICIAL compatibility for the AMD Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series (which sucks). However, there are workarounds which I found esp here ATI Radeon HD 4200 driver...
  10. Re-install win 10 from upgrade

Re-install win 10 from upgrade: Hello I recently did a free upgrade to win 10 from win 7 (legal copy). I downloaded the iso and made a bootable disc. I retrieved the installation key from my computer but i am just wondering if i can do a clean install with that disc and the installation key that i have or...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if i reset a computer that originally had w-7 and upgraded to w10 will it revert to w7?