Windows 10: How to reinstall Windows 10 on a laptop that was originally Windows 7

Discus and support How to reinstall Windows 10 on a laptop that was originally Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; About 2 years ago, I bought a Windows 7 laptop from Costco and when Windows 10b came out, the laptop had the required specifications to upgrade to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChristmasPi, Oct 30, 2016.

1. How to reinstall Windows 10 on a laptop that was originally Windows 7

About 2 years ago, I bought a Windows 7 laptop from Costco and when Windows 10b came out, the laptop had the required specifications to upgrade to Windows 10 for free which I did.

Last night, the laptop had a virus and so I used the restore to default settings to bring the laptop back to the Windows 10 base settings, but 75% of the way through the process, it failed and the laptop now gets "no operating system found".

What I'm wondering is:

1. Is there any way for me to install Windows 10 on this laptop by downloading a trial version of the OS from Microsoft and then registering it. I never had a serial number for WIndows 10. When I bought my PC from Costco, it came with a legitimate Win 7 license and then I was prompted for a free upgrade to Windows 10.

2. Option 1 is preferred, but if it is unavailable, is it possible for me to get the install disks from Costco to reinstall Windows 7 on the PC and then somehow upgrade it back to Windows 10?

Thank you for your time.

:)

ChristmasPi, Oct 30, 2016

2. How to Reinstall Windows 10 on laptop that was upgraded from Win7 during the Free Period?

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license
    you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.

So, there is no need to know or get a product key, if you need to reinstall Windows 10, you can use your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key or use the reset function in Windows 10.

If you are prompted to enter a product key, click 'I don't have a key' and 'Do this later'

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click
    Run as administrator.

How to reinstall Windows 10 on a laptop that was originally Windows 7 [​IMG]

Note: How
    to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Select the option Upgrade this PC now if you want to upgrade right away, of if you want to download a ISO image or create a bootable copy on a USB thumb drive, choose
    Create installation media for another PC then click Next

A new option has been added to the setup screen for users reinstalling Windows 10 on a previously installed and activated system. If your system has a Digital License attached to it, Windows 10 will automatically upgraded:

Andre Da Costa, Oct 30, 2016
  3. jdmenn Win User
    How to Reinstall Windows 10 on laptop that was upgraded from Win7 during the Free Period?

Special circumstance: Dell laptop with a bad virus & Windows 7 Pro was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro during the last couple hours of the Free Period, performed in Win7 Safe Mode with Networking. Both product keys & info were recorded. Laptop was then low-level
    formatted 2x to nuke the virus. ALL [physical] HARDWARE is EXACTLY SAME; Dell Service tag is same. Windows 7 Pro reinstalled using same Key Code (which also appears on COA Sticker). Same Computer Name & Registered Owner entered & accepted--same EVERYTHING
    (as per Key Finder reports).

Now, using [Windows 10] MediaCreationTool will NOT accept the Windows 10 Pro Key Code to revert back to Win10.

How can I re-upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using the Key Code that should work on this [Dell Latitude D830] laptop? Thanks!

jdmenn, Oct 30, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

How to reinstall Windows 10 on a laptop that was originally Windows 7

Once you installed 10 it's registered to the PC and you so you can use media creation tool on the web to download win10 boot from the DVD delete all partitions and do a clean install it won't need a serial

Samuria, Oct 30, 2016
  5. Would you by chance have a link to a page that has step by step instructions that details what you suggested above?

Thank you

ChristmasPi, Oct 30, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Oct 30, 2016
  7. AddRAM Win User
    Why didn`t you just remove the virus ? What was it ?

Be more careful of what you download.

AddRAM, Oct 30, 2016
  8. bookfox Win User

Do as Sumuria and NavyLCDR said. It will work with fewer issues and less hassle than ordering the discs.

PS, To answer your question #2: If you decide you want the discs anyway? You could call Costco if you needed to, sure - but you'd be getting the discs from the computer's OEM, not Costco. Or more accurately Costco's technical support, aka 'Costco Concierge Services' @ 1-866-861-0450. You'd need the Costco Membership number that was used to purchase the computer, as well as the serial numbers for it. (I should know, as I work for them.)

bookfox, Oct 30, 2016
  9. AddRAM Win User
    Do exactly as stated in replies #2 and #4 , clean install Windows 10.

There is no such thing as a trial version, you just install Windows 10, when it asks for a key just click skip, Windows 10 will self activate once you connect to the internet.

Have more questions, just ask *Smile

AddRAM, Oct 30, 2016
  10. Thank you everyone, I will give this a try when I get home tonight.

To answer @AddRAM question, the reason I didn't remove the virus was because I wasn't exactly sure what got installed on the laptop. The laptop belongs to my son and he uses a user account. However, when I looked in the router logs, I noticed that someone was remotely logging into his laptop regularly. Not knowing whether it was a virus or spyware, I thought it was just safe to do a clean install but I guess I just created a bit more work for myself, which is ok. I did run Windows Defender, but it didn't find anything.

I did have one question.

According to the link provided, it says to download the Media Creation Tool. My own laptop runs Ubuntu Linux. Would anyone know if the USB Startup Disk Creator would serve the same function if all we need to do is burn the iso onto a USB stick to boot from?

If it won't work, I'll try it on my daughter's PC.

Thank you

ChristmasPi, Oct 31, 2016
  11. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Oct 31, 2016
  12. Thank you, I managed to reinstall Windows 10 on my son's laptop.

It turns out that you can't burn the Win 10 iso on an Ubuntu PC. I tried multiple times but when I took the USB stick to boot my son's laptop, it wouldn't work. The only way I could make a bootable Win 10 stick was by creating it on another Windows PC.

In terms of him letting someone remote into his PC, this isn't something he was doing. When I checked the logs, the last time someone remoted into his PC, we were all out, so there was a backdoor of some sort on there.

ChristmasPi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to reinstall Windows 10 on a laptop that was originally Windows 7 - Similar Threads - reinstall laptop was

2. How to reinstall 7 on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reinstall 7 on my laptop: Split from this thread. how reinstall windows7 os original download in laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reinstall-7-on-my-laptop/646a8080-ff1e-483f-a0ca-d67bc7b5646c
  3. How to reinstall 7 on my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reinstall 7 on my laptop: Split from this thread. how reinstall windows7 os original download in laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reinstall-7-on-my-laptop/646a8080-ff1e-483f-a0ca-d67bc7b5646c
  4. How to restore or original windows 10 in laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore or original windows 10 in laptop?: I have a HP laptop which originally had a windows 10 edition. I upgraded to windows 11 more than year and half ago. I suffered last three months from two problems. One is that wifi sometime stops and does not work except after restarting laptop or sometimes after resetting...
  5. How to restore or original windows 10 in laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore or original windows 10 in laptop?: I have a HP laptop which originally had a windows 10 edition. I upgraded to windows 11 more than year and half ago. I suffered last three months from two problems. One is that wifi sometime stops and does not work except after restarting laptop or sometimes after resetting...
  6. How to reinstall windows 10 on a Windows 7 PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to reinstall windows 10 on a Windows 7 PC?: My HP PC has been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I would like to wipe out everything to reinstall Windows because the computer runs slow. Is it possible to reinstall Windows 10 directly or the PC has to go back to the original factory setting Windows 7? If going back...
  7. How to put Original Windows 10 back On Laptop?

How to put Original Windows 10 back On Laptop?: Hi there my name is jamie Bratcher and im in the middle of trying to fix my laptop still having issues. My Original Windows dissappeared when microsoft did all of the updates on my laptop and i have no way of knowing how to put it back on so i can a original factory reset....
  8. Windows reinstallation (keeping originality)

Windows reinstallation (keeping originality): Hey there community, I have an dell G3 laptop with windows 10 installed For now i know for sure that my windows is corrupted as many of its features are malfunctioning. I have tried dism and sfc and both end up with errors and are not able to complete there process. Also...
  9. How to reinstall original windows 10 from windows.old folder in windows 7?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to reinstall original windows 10 from windows.old folder in windows 7?: I got original windows 10 with my new pc but I installed pirated windows 7 on it. so, now as I want my original windows 10 back, How can I install back it from windows.old folder in currently installed windows 7?...
  10. Reset to Factory Settings on laptop running Windows 10 but originally Windows 7

Reset to Factory Settings on laptop running Windows 10 but originally Windows 7: A laptop that I use regularly has recently been showing signs of some kind of corruption. I first noticed it when a notification popped up to say that Windows Defender needed to be turned on but when I went to do so it said "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your...