Windows 10: How to remove "Activate Windows" watermark?

Discus and support How to remove "Activate Windows" watermark? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a watermark that says, "Activate Windows Go to Settings to activate Windows". I upgraded from windows 7 and then I replaced my cpu and mother... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bumzz, Nov 24, 2015.

1. bumzz Win User

How to remove "Activate Windows" watermark?

I have a watermark that says, "Activate Windows Go to Settings to activate Windows". I upgraded from windows 7 and then I replaced my cpu and mother board a month ago and now this message appears and I do not have a product key to activate it with.

:)

bumzz, Nov 24, 2015
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Nov 24, 2015
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Nov 24, 2015
  4. How to remove "Activate Windows" watermark?

Hi Bumzz

I'm not sure if I will be able to help you with your problem entirely as it seems that the most likely solution would be to buy a new product key.

What I am wondering is had you activated Windows 7 before you upgraded? What version of Windows 7 did you have before you upgraded?

I am not entirely sure if replacing your cpu and motherboard would make a difference unless you have a OEM product key which is specifically bound to your computer when you purchase it. I am thinking that this is the most likely scenario and unfortunately you might have to go purchase another key or get someone to embed your previous product key into the new motherboard (I am not sure if this is physically possible). This will require you to look at the UEFI firmware on your old motherboard.

Have a look at this tutorial

ellellell1, Nov 24, 2015
  5. Your first activation from doing the free upgrade gave you a digital entitlement to run windows on that original hardware. A digital hash of that hardware was saved on the activation server. Swapping out the motherboard and CPU has changed the digital hash so they don't match anymore. As far as the activation server is concerned, its a different PC. One that doesn't have a digital entitlement for Windows 10. The product key you would have gotten was a generic key that can't be used to transfer your license to a new PC. The free upgrade is free for the life of the device, and IMHO, not transferable.

If your original Windows 7 install was retail, you could use that product code to install and activate windows 10. If it was OEM you can't. If you can read a key off of the COA sticker it should work.

Another option is to select the activate by phone option and dial the number shown on screen. Then plead your case with the Microsoft representative.

Or just buy a new license.

alphanumeric, Nov 24, 2015
  6. Windows 7 factory OEM motherboards do not store a key in the BIOS. There is an OEM marker in the BIOS called a SLIC table but doesn't actually have a product code in it. OEM embedded keys didn't start until Windows 8. Just a heads up for future reference. Also, an off the shelf motherboard that you'd buy at Newegg for example, won't have an embedded key. Only factory OEM systems that ship with Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 pre installed will have them. Embedded key's are injected by the OEM.

alphanumeric, Nov 24, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Assuming you are on the most current build of Windows 10 (version 1511, build 10586), go to settings, Update & Security, activation tab (on left side). Change product key and enter your Windows 7 product key and hopefully that will activate your Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How to remove "Activate Windows" watermark?

1. How to remove "Activate Windows" watermark? - Similar Threads - remove Activate watermark

2. How can i remove "Activate Windows" watermark?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can i remove "Activate Windows" watermark?: Unfortunately, I don't have the Win 10 pro OEM product key : when I choose to go to the store option I got try that again with error code: 0x80131500if i buy Windows 10 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-10-pro/df77x4d43rkt?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab with...
  3. How do i remove the "Activate Windows" watermark?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do i remove the "Activate Windows" watermark?: So basically i changed my Motherboard and CPU and ever since it say's that i have to activate it, I tried everything i could think of. I went to settings and turned tips and tricks off, but it returned after like 2 hours. I tried to Troubleshoot in the Activation Settings,...
  4. can you remove the activate windows watermark

in Windows 10 Customization
    can you remove the activate windows watermark: I really hate it and it gets in the way. why do you need it anyways https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-remove-the-activate-windows-watermark/78fce81f-101e-413f-baf1-3740b531f576
  5. How to remove Activate Windows watermark on the desktop in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to remove Activate Windows watermark on the desktop in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Windows 10 activation watermark appears on the desktop if you don’t activate your copy […] This article How to remove Activate Windows watermark on the desktop in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Remove windows watermark

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Remove windows watermark: Hi. Is there a way to remove the windows watermark without a key? Like in the registry? Thanks submitted by /u/Ali_46290 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i9fwc6/remove_windows_watermark/
  7. Removing Windows Activation Watermark

Removing Windows Activation Watermark: Hi all, So I just built my first PC yay! but I completely forgot to include the cost of Windows in my build. This was planned quite a while back, and I currently can't afford Windows planning on getting it soon. Is it against any terms to remove the watermark either via...
  8. How To Remove Activate Windows 10 Watermark [Full Guide]

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How To Remove Activate Windows 10 Watermark [Full Guide]: Method 1: USE A 3RD-PARTY TOOL You can use free third-party software to remove the activate windows watermark, or even to cheat Windows by thinking of activating it. However, you do not download any old programs found on Google, as there is a reasonable chance that it may...
  9. How to remove evaluation watermark?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove evaluation watermark?: How to remove evaluation watermark? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-evaluation-watermark/59d5c9e3-0d38-40d1-8ab5-df8ca9091034
  10. using regedit to remove activate windows watermark

using regedit to remove activate windows watermark: Hi I saw on some websites a way to remove activate windows watermark which appears on the bottom right side of windows so I wanted to ask is it legal or not to do that !!!...