Windows 10: How to remove 'Open MS-DOS prompt' from folder Context Menu in Win10 ?

Discus and support How to remove 'Open MS-DOS prompt' from folder Context Menu in Win10 ? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; You'll see "Mark Unsolved" instead when the thread is currently marked as solved. You'll also see a green check mark to the right of thread title to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Brink, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

How to remove 'Open MS-DOS prompt' from folder Context Menu in Win10 ?

You'll see "Mark Unsolved" instead when the thread is currently marked as solved. You'll also see a green check mark to the right of thread title to indicate it is marked solved.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018

2. Registry search for 'MS-DOS prompt' is fruitless. I have tried 3rd Party programs without success : CCleaner, Glary Utilities, Winaero Tweaker and Shellexview. Any other options ?

:)

Sebastian42, Apr 14, 2018
  3. How do i switch back to "Command Prompt"

Hi Dave and thanks for the answer,

It is working fine but the PowerShell's option is still remain, now along with the command prompt. how do i remove it from the context menu?

StreakFlash, Apr 14, 2018
  4. How to remove 'Open MS-DOS prompt' from folder Context Menu in Win10 ?

Can't delete local copy of music files w/o also deleting them from OneDrive.

I had a similar question on how to delete downloaded files in the Groove Music Subscription Cache folder. Go to My music in the app, open the context menu for your songs in question and select delete from the context menu. Hope this helps.

FGH Bergman, Apr 14, 2018
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Sebastian, *Smile

If you like, export the keys below from your registry as .reg files, and upload them here. I'll be happy to take a look to see if I may be able to spot this context menu for you, and post back a .reg file that will remove it.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LibraryFolder

Brink, Apr 14, 2018
  6. Thank you in anticipation

Sebastian42, Apr 15, 2018
  7. Samuria Win User
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I found these two registry keys below in your .reg files that include values for opening a command prompt. The .reg file below will delete them, and should remove the context menu for you.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd

*Arrow Remove.reg

Brink, Apr 15, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 15, 2018
  10. Berton Win User
    Will all this affect PowerShell that usually hides the Command Prompt icon in later updates?

Berton, Apr 15, 2018
  11. Sad to say neither of the registry patches removed 'Open MS-DOS Prompt' from the context menu - neither Samuria's nor Brink's.

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No. This would be a separate context menu.

Brink, Apr 15, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Sebastion,

Please go ahead and post a screenshot showing the context menu to see if its location on the context menu may help ID what registry key it could be in.

Is this context menu item only available when you right click on a folder, or also available when you right click on a drive and/or folder background?

Brink, Apr 15, 2018
  14. Please find PNG attached. 'Open MS-DOS Prompt' occurs in the context menus of Folders and Drives.

15. Berton Win User
    Comparing the screenshot of the context menu against mine shows a few differences suggesting third-party software/programs are installed that added to the menu.

How to remove 'Open MS-DOS prompt' from folder Context Menu in Win10 ? [​IMG]

Berton, Apr 15, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove 'Open MS-DOS prompt' from folder Context Menu in Win10 ? - Similar Threads - remove 'Open DOS

2. How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?: I have uninstalled the old application and replaced it with a new one, but the old icon still appears https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-old-programs-from-the-open-with/0d1ed50c-7bf2-4dbb-a3cd-7ed81fee7260
  3. How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Remove Old Programs from the "Open With" Context Menu?: I have uninstalled the old application and replaced it with a new one, but the old icon still appears https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-old-programs-from-the-open-with/0d1ed50c-7bf2-4dbb-a3cd-7ed81fee7260
  4. Remove Edge from Open With Context Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove Edge from Open With Context Menu: How do I Remove the Microsoft Edge entry from the Open With > Context Menu please? . . . The particular File shown is a .PDF [ Save As PDF ] File. I have looked in the HKCU and HKLM of the Registry, and File Associations, but to NO avail. I did search @Brinks Tutorials but I...
  5. How to remove 'author' from Context Menu ?

How to remove 'author' from Context Menu ?: Disk Management has 'author' in its Context Menu. Google seems to be unaware of it, so cannot give me removal guidance. Registry has about twenty entries for Author, that also have 'context'. Any suggestions for removing 'author' ?...
  6. How Remove “Search the Store” from Open With context menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How Remove “Search the Store” from Open With context menu?: I used this reg file but it doesn't work I still see the Search with Store when I select Open With: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer] "NoUseStoreOpenWith"=-...
  7. Restore "Command Prompt Here" in folder context menu

Restore "Command Prompt Here" in folder context menu: After the installation of the latest windows 10 update, I was very annoyed my "Command Prompt Here" has disappeared again from the right mouse button menu, after I took a lot of effort to restore it. Windows Powershell is not an option for me, as it wreaks havoc on...
  8. How to remove Context Menu Program UAC Prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove Context Menu Program UAC Prompt: Hi, Been trying to sort this out, but no luck with my searching. I am using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free. Everytime I attempt to use the conttext menu to scan a file, I get the UAC prompt, which is extremly frustrating. I know the premium version must add policies to...
  9. Remove from context menu

Remove from context menu: Brink has posted a number of tutorials for removing specific program entries from the context menu. The screen shot is my current CM, showing two entries I'd like to get rid of. Is there a general method or places in the registry to look for? [img] 107356
  10. Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows: How to: Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows How to Remove Programs from "Open with" Context Menu in Windows The Open with context menu allows users to choose an app to open a file with. Sometimes your "Open with" context menu may include programs...