Windows 10: How to remove the MSN pop up permanently?

Discus and support How to remove the MSN pop up permanently? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The mystery deepens....*sarc Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Arcadian, May 8, 2016.

1. Arcadian Win User

How to remove the MSN pop up permanently?

The mystery deepens....*sarc

Arcadian, May 9, 2016
  2. simrick Win User

Hi. Sorry, a bit busy this morning. So it showed on the first boot, then did not show on the second try? Can we try another shutdown now? I will confer with @essenbe.

simrick, May 9, 2016
  3. essenbe Win User
    I haven't ignored this thread. I have just been looking at some things.

essenbe, May 9, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

@Arcadian,
    Based on the scans run so far, it appears to me that you use several 3rd-party "cleaners" on this system. These "cleaners" are simply not necessary, and many times do much more damage that good. I can't tell you how many times I've seen messed up systems because of these "cleaners".

These are problems and/or not recommended:
    simplitec
    ByteFence
    darwendlm
    SearchScopes
    WiseCare/Wise Turbo
    (possibly others - I won't know until I see your list of installed programs.)

You said you use ZoneAlarm for the firewall, so that explains why Windows Firewall is turned off. I would like to see your list of installed programs now, as I have not been able to determine why Windows Defender is turned off.

Please go to Ccleaner and save the list of installed programs to a text file, and post that here.

How to remove the MSN pop up permanently? [​IMG]

Once I have seen the list, I will make recommendations of any other software which needs to be removed.

I understand that you've used some of this software since XP days, but I am telling you - you are now on Windows 10, and XP does not apply. ZoneAlarm is a good firewall, but this other stuff is simply not necessary, and just causes problems.

Regarding Edge: As far as I know, Microsoft Edge is a core part of the W10 OS, and cannot be "conventionally" removed. To attempt the many work-arounds that have been posted online, is to basically "bork" your machine.

Following the removal of unwanted software, I then suggest running the System File Checker to verify all Operating System files are intact.

So, in an Administrative Command Prompt, type: (right-click the Start button)
    Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] Let it run - it takes a while. The response when it is finished that we are looking for is "No integrity violations found". If it says "found and fixed" or "could not be fixed", you need to reboot the computer and run it again, at least three times. If we still do not get the response that everything is good, we will have to move to dism commands to try and get the system in order. Failing that, a repair install using an in-place upgrade would be the next step. Failing all these, a clean install is next.

Another option (which I don't recommend at this point) would be to perform a Clean Boot, and see if the culprit can be identified that way.

But I really think the system needs to be put back in good order. A band-aid approach will only complicate things for you, especially when the Anniversary update comes through in July.

simrick, May 9, 2016
  5. Arcadian Win User
    Many thanks for all this. Unfortunately I'm very busy right now and as everything's running fine and the original problem of the MSN pop up hasn't re-appeared I'll have to leave it for a few days anyway.

However as I'm nowhere near experienced enough to dare risk taking all this on by myself, nor have I the time nor the money if I get it wrong which is a cert, I'll definitely pass on all your recommendations to my local computer guru who's been repairing computers for over 30 years then if he makes any mistakes and lives only 20 minutes away I'm covered as I daren't be without it for too long.

One small point re "I understand that you've used some of this software since XP days....

I'm already using the very latest versions of all this software uploaded during the past 5/6 weeks or so which is already compatible with Win 10....

Again many thanks to you and everyone else but hope you understand it's now way, way out of my league anyway....*Smile

Arcadian, May 9, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Okay, glad it's working for now. Good luck. Please go ahead and mark the thread as solved. Cheers!

simrick, May 9, 2016
  7. Arcadian Win User
    I think this is what we were looking for which I nearly deleted....!

How to remove the MSN pop up permanently? [​IMG]

Arcadian, May 18, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Everything still working fine then?

simrick, May 18, 2016
  9. Arcadian Win User
    Yes fine thanks other than MSN appeared out of the blue again for some reason....?

Arcadian, May 18, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    simrick, May 18, 2016
  11. Arcadian Win User
    Thanks I've just unticked the box so hopefully that will do it ?

Arcadian, May 18, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    Let's hope so! *Smile

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to remove the MSN pop up permanently? - Similar Threads - remove MSN pop

2. How to stop MSN pop-ups?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop MSN pop-ups?: I have a MSN popup. I was working in my "settings", trying to connect to WiFi . It blocks my work and freezes the screen. Tried to remove repeatedly but it always comes back. I want this gone. I don't mind at all if MSN gets deleted....
  3. How to stop MSN pop-ups?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop MSN pop-ups?: I have a MSN popup. I was working in my "settings", trying to connect to WiFi . It blocks my work and freezes the screen. Tried to remove repeatedly but it always comes back. I want this gone. I don't mind at all if MSN gets deleted....
  4. How to permanently close app windows popping up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to permanently close app windows popping up?: I installed a program a long time ago called HxD Hex Editor, now, I wanted to clean up my PC of unwanted apps, and when I uninstalled the app, the folder with the .exe remained and 2 windows with "Runtime error 217 at 0000000000423357", if I close any of the two windows, the...
  5. How to permanently close app windows popping up?

How to permanently close app windows popping up?: I installed a program a long time ago called HxD Hex Editor, now, I wanted to clean up my PC of unwanted apps, and when I uninstalled the app, the folder with the .exe remained and 2 windows with "Runtime error 217 at 0000000000423357", if I close any of the two windows, the...
  6. How to permanently close app windows popping up?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. How to remove the big volume pop-up

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove the big volume pop-up: There is a big pop-up box beside the volume bar when running a music player program for example foorbar2000. When playing music, it shows the name of the song and the artist. When not playing any music, it just shows the name of the program. [ATTACH] I’ve already searched...
  8. POP UP REMOVAL

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    POP UP REMOVAL: I keep getting a page and a pop up ad that are called "SavingsForThe Savvy. How can I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pop-up-removal/537f5501-2b06-4816-923f-5f9a8c1c7cc9
  9. pop up removals

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    pop up removals: how to rid of pop ups https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/pop-up-removals/320d2137-6923-4c90-90a4-1506ba9a0a88
  10. HOW TO REMOVE DOWNLOADMYINBOXHELPER.COM POP-UPS

HOW TO REMOVE DOWNLOADMYINBOXHELPER.COM POP-UPS: This annoying pop up just appeared and I want to get rid of it. Any suggestions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-downloadmyinboxhelpercom-pop-ups/48306e9e-10ff-4dac-bde7-c0fc7868cec5