Windows 10: How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows

Discus and support How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Windows 10 on the desktop has a plethora of applications available. Almost every kind of software is available for Windows 10. Even if you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Oct 24, 2018.

1. WinClub New Member

How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows

WinClub, Oct 24, 2018
  2. Callender Win User

Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows  

Have a look at this:

Some firefox problems - Page 22 - Windows 10 Forums

If you run the linked softwares SetUserFTA and GetUserFTA you can use to export/ import file associations.

Just use the config files edited to make any changes needed.

Example. Set Paint as default for png :& jpg images:

Config file:

Code:
    Code:
     .jfif, PBrush .jpe, PBrush .jpeg, PBrush .jpg, PBrush .png, PBrush

How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows [​IMG]

Place config file in SetUserFTA directory and name it SetUserFTA.config

Run command SetUserFTA.exe SetUserFTA.config to associate.
    Example. Set Windows Photo Viewer as default for png :& jpg images:

Config file:

Code:
    Code:
     .jfif, PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff .jpe, PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff .jpeg, PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff .jpg, PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff .jxr, PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff

If you are going to mess about with it - suggest exporting current file associations to a backup config file so that you can restore them.

Callender, Oct 24, 2018
  3. Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows  

Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand how this works. Suppose that my Windows 10 computer only has one user account (a local one created when first installing Windows).

Given the above, is it possible to use the method here to change default applications based for myself (the current - and only - user)? You mention that it "this only gets applied to "new" user accounts," so I would assume no. If that's the case, do you know of ANY automated way to set default file associations for the current and only user on Windows 10?

It seems to me like it's stored in the registry; for example, when I used RegistryChagesView to see what changed after setting the default application for images from Windows Photo Viewer to Paint, I got this:

However, when I try to use a .reg file to import over those entries, I receive the following error:

I still get the error even after restarting the computer and trying again. Further, I suspect (but haven't yet tested) that the hash value isn't always identical (I guess it's calculated whenever you set the default application?), and I'm not sure what it represents or if it's important.

Basically, I just need some automated way to set the default applications for the current user, but I keep running into problems. Is there any way to do this?

Edit:
    Now that I think about it, there HAS to be an automated way to do this. When you install some programs, they will automatically associate certain extensions with themselves (such as when you install Python; .py files are automatically set to run with Python.exe). So there's got to be a way that I can do it too, right?

JohnTravolski, Oct 24, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

resetting default appilcation associations

Hi, I think you could use this tutorial as the basis for saving your associations and reapplying them. It's written in the context of setting up a new user, but I don't see why it can't be used to do what you need- albeit for all associations (in the xml file).
    Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows Windows 10 Tutorials

Note that logging off/on is required to apply the associations.

Your situation sounds very frustrating and undesirable.

You might want to verify it is indeed that program. Given that you've only just upgraded, note that a long time back it was found that where old versions of a couple of programs of which one was Winzip caused associations to revert to default- I think on reboot.

dalchina, Oct 24, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Reset, Export and Import Default App Associations on Windows - Similar Threads - Reset Export Import

2. Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...: HelloI have a problem with Windows 11 22H2 with import file association via GPO or Import-DefaultAppAssociations. When I use this procedure my default apps don't change...Has anyone encountered this?Thank you....
  3. Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2: The file association with an exported .xml file and import with GPO is not...: HelloI have a problem with Windows 11 22H2 with import file association via GPO or Import-DefaultAppAssociations. When I use this procedure my default apps don't change...Has anyone encountered this?Thank you....
  4. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  5. Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Fix for “An App Default was Reset” Windows 10 Resets File Associations: I installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (Build 1809). When I download an image file or video file I get this popup that this extension has been reset back to its defaults. Upon checking the default in PC Settings that application is still there so I'm wondering what's this...
  6. Windows 10 resets file associations to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 resets file associations to default: Why does Windows 10 change my file associations every day to force me to use Edge to open Adobe PDF files? Edge is an unacceptable substitute for Adobe Acrobat Professional. Windows also changes my photo-editing preference to Photos no matter how much I want my own choice....
  7. Windows 10 Mail App: Headers & Import/Export

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail App: Headers & Import/Export: Anyone figure this out? I can't see a way to view e-mail headers and import/export e-mail in the stock Windows-10 Mail App. Hope it's possible, if not, FAIL! 10377
  8. resetting default appilcation associations

resetting default appilcation associations: At work we have a software program that several times a day will erase my default program associations for : Http, https, PDF, jpeg, mailto. So several times a day I need to manually re associate firefox, paint, adobe, outlook. It is annoying. I think the program that does it...
  9. Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10: How to: Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10 How to Export and Import Contacts for People app in Windows 10 The People app included in Windows 10 puts all the ways you connect with all your friends, family, colleagues, and acquaintances in one place,...
  10. Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows: How to: Export and Import Default App Associations for New Users in Windows How to Export and Import Custom Default App Associations for New Users in Windows 10 You can use the default application association-servicing commands to import, export, list, and remove the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setuserfta outlook