Windows 10: How to restart explorer.exe without losing opened windows

Discus and support How to restart explorer.exe without losing opened windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How can I restart explorer.exe process without losing the opened windows just like it does when I reboot my PC or simply logout. I've set the option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by brunoais, Dec 15, 2016.

1. brunoais Win User

How to restart explorer.exe without losing opened windows

How can I restart explorer.exe process without losing the opened windows just like it does when I reboot my PC or simply logout.
    I've set the option so windows are restored when I login.
    I've tried the tutorial here about it but it didn't work. explorer.exe restarted but the windows didn't restore after it restarted.

How can I restart explorer.exe without losing the opened windows?

:)

brunoais, Dec 15, 2016
  2. MPasaur Win User

Small Start Menu icons cut in half vertically

This is happening to me too, I don't know how to prevent it but you can fix it without restarting your computer by opening task manager and restarting explorer.exe

MPasaur, Dec 15, 2016
  3. alirezadl Win User
    File Explorer crash when creating new folder

I tried clean boot but it still crashing.

I also tried safe mod and it still crashing.

I debug explorer.exe with visual studio and this is the output window content:

--------------------------------------------

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msftedit.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\tiptsf.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\UIRibbon.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

The thread 0x17b0 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 0x120c has exited with code 0 (0x0).

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\WorkFoldersShell.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\nvshext.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvui.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\comdlg32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winspool.drv'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msimg32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\globinputhost.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.Globalization.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.Storage.Search.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\samcli.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\credui.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\oobe\UserOOBE.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\UserMgrProxy.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\WorkFoldersShell.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\smartscreenps.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\OneCoreUAPCommonProxyStub.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\CloudExperienceHostCommon.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msimg32.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\comdlg32.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winspool.drv'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Display\nvui.dll'

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\igfxDTCM.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\samcli.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\igfxDH.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\igfxLHM.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shacct.dll'

The thread 0x1b14 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\igfxDI.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\d3d10_1.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\opengl32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\d3d10_1core.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\glu32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ddraw.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dciman32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

The thread 0x1684 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 0x1588 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wscinterop.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wscapi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wscui.cpl'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\werconcpl.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\framedynos.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\wer.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\hcproviders.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\Windows.System.Launcher.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\WpPortingLibrary.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

'explorer.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dsclient.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

Exception thrown at 0x00007FFC8B409FDF (windows.storage.dll) in explorer.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000004E83E60).

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFC8B409FDF (windows.storage.dll) in explorer.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000004E83E60).

Exception thrown at 0x00007FFC8B409FDF (windows.storage.dll) in explorer.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000004E80EF0.

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFC8B409FDF (windows.storage.dll) in explorer.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000004E80EF0.

The program '[8892] explorer.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

----------------------------------

I think file explorer freezes because of that Stack overflow error

alirezadl, Dec 15, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

You can't. Either you're restarting the Explorer shell or you're not. Login is a different scenario.

Edwin, Dec 15, 2016
  5. Depending on, what you are trying to achieve, the other option would be to use an alternative file manager.
    You can restart it without closing explorer's windows, but not via a command, that would close all explorer processes, but via a task manager, like option one. But at first you have to separate it. Run CMD and copy/paste:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "DesktopProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SeparateProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

TairikuOkami, Dec 15, 2016
  6. brunoais Win User
    Login may be a different thing. I just mentioned that so I could remove that case out of the equation of whom would help. It wasn't meant as if I had done a step to complete it.
    I already have those two set to 1. Thank you regardless.

My objective is to restart all explorer.exe processes in one go and then start them again with all windows as it was afterwards.
    One of the main objectives here is for software installations that require explorer.exe to be turned off while they install but it is definitely not limited to that use-case.

brunoais, Dec 15, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    You can always hit Ctrl-Alt-Esc to launch Task Manager, then type "explorer.exe" into the "Run new task" item from the File menu. I've used this many times to relaunch File Explorer/Explorer after killing it (or losing it) for various reasons. But that doesn't put you back where you started your old Explorer processes from, even if it is a viable way to (re)start the program when Explorer itself is out of action (and all the shell stuff that goes with it).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 15, 2016
  8. brunoais Win User

Thanks for trying but I already knew that one...

brunoais, Dec 15, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    @brunoais :
    Perhaps you should try something like 'Clover' File Explorer, that way you could Exit Explorer, by way of Ctrl/Shift/Right Click on the taskbar, and keep all your current windows open in tabs:

How to restart explorer.exe without losing opened windows [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to restart explorer.exe without losing opened windows - Similar Threads - restart explorer exe

2. How to install windows 11 without losing data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install windows 11 without losing data?: Microsoft recently released windows 11, I really like it, like a lotSo I wanted to install but I have no experience like installing a OS.I also found out that if you install any OS, You will lose all your data, Any help?...
  3. How to install windows 11 without losing data?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install windows 11 without losing data?: Microsoft recently released windows 11, I really like it, like a lotSo I wanted to install but I have no experience like installing a OS.I also found out that if you install any OS, You will lose all your data, Any help?...
  4. how to reinstall windows without losing my partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to reinstall windows without losing my partition: Hey guys I'm planning to reinstall my OS and I'm kind of a newbie. I'd like to ask some questions Once I get to this window this is an example for the sake of explanation not my actual partitions I have one hard drive divided into two partitions: "C" for the system 237GB and...
  5. Why isn't file explorer not opening .exe's?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why isn't file explorer not opening .exe's?: When i try to open any exe files on explorer it does the busy cursor then it doesn't open it? any fixes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-isnt-file-explorer-not-opening-exes/6a803796-da43-4ab8-b50e-887d4de66ee1
  6. How to Restart your Browser without losing Tabs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Restart your Browser without losing Tabs in Windows 10: It really becomes critical when the browser gets closed by mistake while closing one or two tabs of the window. This problem uses to be experienced by several users in day-to-day life. It causes in closing the active tab on which users are working on that time. If you also...
  7. exe flies opening as internet explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exe flies opening as internet explorer: when I open some files they open up as internet explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exe-flies-opening-as-internet-explorer/c6ce8665-e1ec-4933-a31d-b2adf86ff413
  8. Explorer,EXE

Explorer,EXE: Please help me find a solution on this message; 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' Hoping someone has a simple solution, Thanks...
  9. How to restart windows 10 without restarting it.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to restart windows 10 without restarting it.: hi, is it possible to restart windows 10 and all of its services not just explorer without actually restarting it. because it takes a lot of time to restart it. best regards....
  10. How to factory reset without losing windows 10?

How to factory reset without losing windows 10?: I have factory reset once before with windows 10 and it let me keep windows 10 when I did it. But now I want to do it again but it is showing me a notice that if i reset, I will go back to windows 7. Is there a way I can factory reset my pc while still keeping windows 10?...
Tags: