Windows 10: How To Run MSI From Command Prompt on Broken Win10 ?

Discus and support How To Run MSI From Command Prompt on Broken Win10 ? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a broken win10 install and it seems to be missing the BCD. I ran across boyans.net utility visualbcdeditor and downloaded it to see if it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by arthurbrogard, Dec 2, 2019.

1. How To Run MSI From Command Prompt on Broken Win10 ?

I have a broken win10 install and it seems to be missing the BCD.

I ran across boyans.net utility visualbcdeditor and downloaded it to see if it could help me.

It is an msi file.

I am looking at the sick OS via a Repair Install USB I made. Tried all the repair options and all I've got left is the command prompt and whatever I can do with it and then it has to be a whole repair install.

I'd like to fix this simple BCD thing if I can. So I went to the command prompt.

From the command prompt I find the msi file on c: drive of the broken machine.

And try to run it.

I'm told it has no app associated with it and so it can't be run.

It doesn't understand msiexec either.

Any help?

:)

arthurbrogard, Dec 2, 2019
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Dec 2, 2019
  3. Berton Win User
    commands in command prompt

Many of the commands one can use in Command Prompt go back to the days of DOS/Disk Operating System. An example of how to use switches in chkdsk can be seen by typing chkdsk /? at the command prompt. There's a number of Web pages about the commands found by a Search:
    dos commands list at DuckDuckGo
    Some pages aimed at Win10:
    windows 10 commands for command prompt at DuckDuckGo

Berton, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

How To Run MSI From Command Prompt on Broken Win10 ?

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

How To Run MSI From Command Prompt on Broken Win10 ?

1. How To Run MSI From Command Prompt on Broken Win10 ? - Similar Threads - Run MSI Command

2. How run DVD player from command prompt?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How run DVD player from command prompt?: How do I tell the pc to run DVD player while CMD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-run-dvd-player-from-command-prompt/28fc1d62-f1c7-49b9-be4d-dc7b6494abc4
  3. How run DVD player from command prompt?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How run DVD player from command prompt?: How do I tell the pc to run DVD player while CMD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-run-dvd-player-from-command-prompt/28fc1d62-f1c7-49b9-be4d-dc7b6494abc4
  4. How run DVD player from command prompt?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Help with run command using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with run command using the command prompt: Hello, I have a question regarding running a batch file using a command prompt. My batch file is in my directory. I change directory to where my batch file is located at , and run the batch file as shown in my example. But I got an error saying a run is not recognized...
  6. How to Run commands of Command Prompt with a Desktop Shortcut

in Windows 10 News
    How to Run commands of Command Prompt with a Desktop Shortcut: [ATTACH]Opening the Command Prompt and running some commands every time is somewhat a tedious job. Are you also bored of using it constantly? If yes, […] This article How to Run commands of Command Prompt with a Desktop Shortcut first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  7. Command Prompt Broken in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt Broken in Windows 10: In Windows 10, when I run "cmd", it opens the black window and closes it right away. Even running a .bat script doesn't work, it opens the box and closes it right away. I have already tried running those commands in PowerShell DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth...
  8. How can I run Time.exe from a command prompt?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I run Time.exe from a command prompt?: There's an app named "Alarms & Clock". When I launch it and probe it with Sysinternals Process Explorer, I discover that its command line is: "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_10.1805.1361.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Time.exe"...
  9. Run vs. Command Prompt vs Elevated command prompt?

in Windows 10 Support
    Run vs. Command Prompt vs Elevated command prompt?: Is there a rule of thumb to know which of the referenced you would use when entering a particular command or file name? Mark 112722
  10. How to boot to a command prompt in Win10 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to boot to a command prompt in Win10 ?: Tapping F8 or spacebar doesn't do anything ? I want to boot to command prompt only. I need to rename my user folder, in an attempt to get it named correctly, after the clean upgrade decided to drop the last character, which now gives me a girls name.. lol Doing it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 repair only prompt accessible

2. how to run a msi file in command prompt