Windows 10: How to set up a source for A repair via DISM

Discus and support How to set up a source for A repair via DISM in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have some corrupted Op Sys files in my desktop that cannot be repaired via SFC/scannow and am trying to do so by DISM using the windows folder in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rfrharbin, Dec 15, 2016.

1. rfrharbin Win User

How to set up a source for A repair via DISM

I have some corrupted Op Sys files in my desktop that cannot be repaired via SFC/scannow and am trying to do so by DISM using the windows folder in my laptop but I cannot figure out how to use the source option to repair my desktop. I have perused the DISM.exe /? info but it is too dense for me. The pages from MS help do not help either and have me wondering if what examples they show really work. The insert below is where I started but I have tried many different ideas the last two days and am rather frustrated.

I am hoping to avoid a repair install as this will take a coupled weeks getting all my programs up and running and this is not the time of yea to be able to do so easily.

How to set up a source for A repair via DISM [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

rfrharbin, Dec 15, 2016

2. How to repair the source for DISM when restorehealth fails.

Is there any indication, from anybody (meaning you, Microsoft) out there as to when this is going to be addressed? There are 1000s if not millions of users who depend on this tool to verify the integrity of their core Windows installation files
    and to have the problem summarily ignored month after month is very poor customer service. Since the cause is known it can't be that big a deal for the coders there at Microsoft to fix it, right? Maybe more pressure from the Technical Community out here
    is what's called for...

Travis_Lloyd, Dec 15, 2016
  3. How to repair the source for DISM when restorehealth fails.

Agree, DISM does not work for Image Version: 10.0.15063.0

"The source files could not be found."

DISM log:

2017-05-06 10:16:14, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11292 TID=10676 Disconnecting Provider: Edition Manager - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2017-05-06 10:16:14, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11292 TID=10676 Releasing the local reference to OSServices. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2017-05-06 10:16:14, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11292 TID=10676 Disconnecting Provider: OSServices - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2017-05-06 10:16:14, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=11292 TID=10676 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger. Stop logging. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2017-05-06 10:16:14, Info DISM DISM Manager: PID=7388 TID=10656 Closing session event handle 0x180 - CDISMManager::CloseImageSession

2017-05-06 10:16:14, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.

2017-05-06 10:16:14, Info DISM DISM.EXE:

2017-05-06 10:16:14, Info DISM DISM.EXE: <----- Ending Dism.exe session ----->

Endlesspath, Dec 15, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

According to most experts here at TenForums, one good way to make sources available to DISM is to download a Win10 ISO that matches the installation to be repaired (VERY IMPORTANT: must be same type [home, pro, enterprise, education], bittedness [x86/32-bit, x64/64-bit], base language, and major build [1507, 1511, or 1607]). Then you can mount that ISO as a drive (let's say it's drive J: for the purposes of the example I'm about to provide). Here's what the syntax for the /restorehealth version that points to that /source will look like:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:WIM:J:\sources\install.wim:1

See the DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Tutorials for more information. It will set you straight.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 15, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    ... and if DISM doesn't fix it, then an in-place upgrade repair install leaves most settings and all programs and data as they should be.

There are possible issues if you've changed the language, and the updates from the base build need redoing. Certainly shouldn't take a huge effort to sort out once done.

dalchina, Dec 16, 2016
  6. rfrharbin Win User
    Ed; I tried twice to follow your advice but failed. The shortcut is better than what I found earlier, MS sure can make explanations complicated. MS must give all the possibilities which is fine for a person with experience. I copied your example changing the Drive to "D", my DVD/CD drive. Can I use this drive?

Besides the two pictures I have attached a copy of my DISM.log file.

*Name: dism0.log Views: 0 Size: 1.44 MBdism0.log

rfrharbin, Dec 18, 2016
  7. rfrharbin Win User
    FYI I came to the understanding that I had to repair gradually over a couple months time after which I no longer had a good backup to restore. MalewareBytes became corrupted every few weeks, SuperAntiSpyware corrupted or failed to work properly occasionally. Windows installer (msiexec) was messed up and left a popup on booting up, something I only do on updates but this was nothing but a minor thing. plus a few other things.

From now on I will keep a backup copy of every major update until the next major update. And also keep more backups between.

rfrharbin, Dec 18, 2016
  8. rfrharbin Win User

I did something that I thought was an in-place upgrade repair some time back but after doing I had to reinstall all my programs. This took three 9-5 days and then about two more weeks on and off to get everything back as I wanted things to be.

I will have to look at this again as doing so in a manner that keeps my programs sure would take less time than I have spent presently.

rfrharbin, Dec 18, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    I'd guess you did a reset or refresh rather than an in-place upgrade repair.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

To do an in-place upgrade repair e.g:
    - boot to normal mode
    - put a Win 10 DVD in your DVD drive
    - run setup.exe from the disk.

(Or mount the iso, or use a flash drive... )

dalchina, Dec 18, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    Double check if you have install.wim or install.esd file under D:\Sources. If it is an esd file then use this syntax:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:ESDHow to set up a source for A repair via DISM :D:\sources\Install.esd:1 /LimitAccess

topgundcp, Dec 18, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, good point about the .esd stuff. Otherwise, my guess is that the image in the /source directory is not the same version and language as the one on your boot/system disk. As I said before, these must match for repair to work.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 19, 2016
  12. rfrharbin Win User
    This idea spilled the beans. 1st; The iso file I burned to disk did not burn. It was blank. Now I have burned some .iso's via the MediaCreationtool and have three old ones in my pile of disks. On burning another I noticed a new (to me) line on the top left corner of the window about opening my disk to burn. The last few times I have just clicked on the Finnish button and all was OK. 2nd, after another failure with DISM I looked at the update Status within "Settings> Update and Security" and I had a failed update (KB3206632) - Error 0x800f081f. As far as I can see this is going around in a endless circle. I need to get the update but cannot because my source does not match what is in the computer to repair the update problem (and others).

I would have liked to go through this process just to learn. I am 77 and use this computer to keep my mind working. I have seen other friends mind's get old fast from not using there minds on new stuff to learn.

I am going to be busy the next three days with medical stuff for the wife but I am going to prepare all my important files so as to use dalchina's suggestion. Yes I am being paranoid but some years back I had to put and old HD in a external HD enclosure to pull out files of a book my wife was writing because RAID 1 failed without me catching it before both HD's were borked.

Unless of course some one has a better idea.

rfrharbin, Dec 19, 2016
  13. rfrharbin Win User

I followed the link in dalchina's post and now all is well. Microsoft updates will use a driver that MS has modified to only have what MS needs but I lucked out on this since NVIDIA GeForce Experience showed an update also after booting up and that was an easy fix for my GPU. Sometimes it can be a lot of fun getting the right update from a manufactures site. I also had to turn on File History. I went through my Windows Settings and some of them had been changed. I have learned a lot about using DISM and expect if I ever need to use it again it will be a lot easier for me to do so.

Thank you all very much.

rfrharbin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set up a source for A repair via DISM - Similar Threads - set source repair

2. Absolutely can not Repair via DISM because it "can not find source" Even though, I specify...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Absolutely can not Repair via DISM because it "can not find source" Even though, I specify...: I've tried sfc /scannowand corrected whatever it asked to repair. It finished repairing.When i run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthI get, "The Component Store is repairable".Ok...I try: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\wim\install.wim <--- this is...
  3. Absolutely can not Repair via DISM because it "can not find source" Even though, I specify...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Absolutely can not Repair via DISM because it "can not find source" Even though, I specify...: I've tried sfc /scannowand corrected whatever it asked to repair. It finished repairing.When i run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthI get, "The Component Store is repairable".Ok...I try: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\wim\install.wim <--- this is...
  4. Absolutely can not Repair via DISM because it "can not find source" Even though, I specify...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. DISM offline source

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM offline source: Hi, I have one Win 10 system that's in perfect health, passes sfc & dism with flying colors. I have another Win 10 system, same build as the good one, that has... issues. I'd like to prepare an offline source for DISM from the good system for repairing the bad one. By...
  6. DISM Source Not specified?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM Source Not specified?: Whenever i do sfc scan it says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation". Then whenever i do dism health check it says to specify a source. I tried that also with both .esd and .wim file by specifuing it but still it is saying to specify the...
  7. DISM Source Not located

DISM Source Not located: I ran SFC check and found corrupt files that were not fixed so I ran dism and when doing the restorehealth I get errors that source cannot be located. I have tried ISO disc in dvd drive, mounting the ISO image but still get no source; I need some help, thanks. 72131
  8. repair win10 via dism in win7

repair win10 via dism in win7: how to repair windows 10 via dism running in win 7,i mean I am running windows 7 and I want to repair windows 10 via an image and dism and windows 10 not work 87356
  9. DISM Error 0x80f001f...Use Source Option to repair Image

DISM Error 0x80f001f...Use Source Option to repair Image: Hi, I just completed a clean install of Windows 10 Pro...all was going fine, but I wanted to run both scf and DISM... If SFC was not able to repair some or all of the files there are a few options including a repair install from the OS dvd, and DISM (win 8 & UP) DISM...
  10. DISM Source Not Found

DISM Source Not Found: Been Having problem with my video drivers lately, virtual dj, and such, ran sfc/scannow no intergrity violations found, then tried to run Dism and it said "sources not found" that part not sure how to work around it. Windows 10 Pro x64bit 1703 15063.250 Finally got drives...