Windows 10: How to set up no pass login for 2 accounts on 1 computer

Discus and support How to set up no pass login for 2 accounts on 1 computer in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, A couple days ago I did the upgrade to windows 10 from 7 for my parents on their computer. The way it was set up in Win 7, after startup you... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by LossVegas, Jul 14, 2016.

1. LossVegas Win User

How to set up no pass login for 2 accounts on 1 computer

Hi,

A couple days ago I did the upgrade to windows 10 from 7 for my parents on their computer.

The way it was set up in Win 7, after startup you would see a screen with their 2 profile pics and it was easy to just click one and log in. Neither had a password to enter. After the upgrade, my father's account started asking for a password. Years ago he had opened a Hotmail account and Windows apparently links that MS online password to win 10 and started requiring it. Luckily he remembered it and has been able to log in.

The problem is they want things to work the way they did before. They want to log in and switch accounts during the day without my father having to enter a password each time.

I have already tried going to Settings>Accounts>Sign in options and switching the "Require sign-in" setting to never. This didn't seen to do anything.

I also did the Run>netplwiz then uncheck the User must enter password box for My father's account.

Now after shutdown, the computer logs into my Dad's account automatically and bypasses the login screen so my mother has to switch to her account from my Dad's. Then when switching back from mother's to father's account again windows asks for father's password again! It's frustrating as hell.

All they want is for both of them to be able to boot up and click on their account to log in and switch between them without passwords. Is this possible in Windows 10 and if so, how?

:)

LossVegas, Jul 14, 2016
  2. DB_1234 Win User

Cannot login into Child account

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for your response. I just would like to clarify that I can login into my account, but my child cannot login at all. After he enter password he is getting "time's up, its pass the curfew time" message. I just double checked that "Set
    limits for when my child can use devices" is OFF for his account in Family setting.

1. Do you get any error code?

- nope, just family Time's Up message

2. How many user account is configured on your computer?

- 2 regular and 2 children accounts

I've run diagnostic and it fixed a couple problem associated with my account settins. Is it possible to run the utility for Child account without possibility to login into it?

Thanks!

DB_1234, Jul 14, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - Duplicate User Account

Hello!

I changed my Computer's Name and after the restart a second account icon popped up. It bother's me because I'm using an automated login and now I have to change the account and type my password.

When I try to Sign on with the New Account I am given 2 options:

1) Username & Pass - I can't login no matter what combination of the two I use

2) Email & Pass - When I type my standard Microsoft credentials I am automatically transferred to my normal account.

How to disable this second account popping up?

Thank you!

How to set up no pass login for 2 accounts on 1 computer [​IMG]

StefanVidenov, Jul 14, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

Run as admin -> netplwiz

Uncheck for each account not to require a logon, and then enter respective pwd for each.

RWOne, Jul 14, 2016
  5. LossVegas Win User
    A quote from my post above:

I also did the Run>netplwiz then uncheck the User must enter password box for My father's account.

Now after shutdown, the computer logs into my Dad's account automatically and bypasses the login screen so my mother has to switch to her account from my Dad's. Then when switching back from mother's to father's account again windows asks for father's password again! It's frustrating as hell.

LossVegas, Jul 14, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jul 15, 2016
  7. LossVegas Win User
    OK, I changed both accounts to local, then removed the passwords, and netplwiz>User must enter password box is checked, but I get a strange result. On boot up now windows gets to the log in screen but now there is a login prompt that says "Other User" and it has a password field. The two accounts on the system are not shown until I click the ">" arrow next to the empty password field under the "Other User" login icon. Then the two existing accounts show up in the lower left corner of the screen and can be selected.

Any ideas?

LossVegas, Jul 16, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

It appears as if the fix involves editing the registry. Are you up for that?

Each user on the computer gets their own folder under C:\Users. Open file explorer and look in C:\Users. Look for the user folders that appear to have the names for the user accounts you want to keep. Take note of what those folder names are.

Press the Windows icon key + R to launch the run dialog
    Then type in regedit.exe and press Enter
    Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList]
    If you want to, create a backup of the ProfileList key by exporting it.
    ProfileList will contain many subkeys named similar to S-1-5-21-3623811015-3361044348-30300820-1013
    Each should contain at least the three value-sets: Flags, ProfileImagePath, and State. Some keys can contain more, but these are the minimum contents.
    ProfileImagePath will show the path to the user profile folder. You will usually have one for each user on the system, and one for each of the three system entries SystemProfile, LocalService, and NetworkService (these are the first three, shorter keys. Keep these three keys.)
    Delete any key (i.e. the whole S-1-x-xx-… folder) that does not contain at least those three values (Flags, ProfileImagePath, and State)
    Delete any key (i.e. the whole S-1-x-xx-… folder) that shows a path to a user folder that does not match the folders under C:\Users that you want to keep.
    Delete the key called .DEFAULT, if it exists

Close the registry editor and restart the computer.

This is what my C:\Users folder looks like:

This is what the registry key for my user account looks like:

If I had any entries under the ProfileList other than the three short ones, and the entry for my user account pointing to my user folder, I would delete those.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to set up no pass login for 2 accounts on 1 computer - Similar Threads - set pass login

2. 2 accounts on login but 1 in settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2 accounts on login but 1 in settings: Hi! I have had this issue for a long time now. When i turn my PC on and i am taken to the login, there is 2 accounts one being the right one and the other i dont know. It always starts on the wrong one and i dont know what to do. There is only my main account in my accounts...
  3. 2 accounts on login but 1 in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 accounts on login but 1 in settings: Hi! I have had this issue for a long time now. When i turn my PC on and i am taken to the login, there is 2 accounts one being the right one and the other i dont know. It always starts on the wrong one and i dont know what to do. There is only my main account in my accounts...
  4. 2 accounts on login but 1 in settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 2 windows accounts on the 1 computer login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    2 windows accounts on the 1 computer login: Hello,Does anyone have experience with 2 microsoft accounts being signed in to the 1 computer login?we have a couple of old computers that are still being used and have both the old users microsoft account signed in locally, and the latest users account.is there any known...
  6. set nup 2 printers to 2 computers using 1 modem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    set nup 2 printers to 2 computers using 1 modem: We have 2 computers and have 2 printers but using 1 modem. I set up my computers printer as default printer but cannot set up 2nd computer to own printer.Everytime i print off 2nd computer it prints off my default printer. Cannot find WPS either. Please help...
  7. 2 users on 1 account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 users on 1 account: Hi i dont know how to fix this but i am signed into my microsoft account and there are no other accounts to swap between but when i go to my files, this pc, users there is another account there that i cant get rid of. the account i cant get rid of is called guyv and it is...
  8. using 1 Microsoft account on 2 computers with the same account

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    using 1 Microsoft account on 2 computers with the same account: Hi i am just wondering because im going to build a new computer in a month with a new product key for windows 10 home. I just wanted to see if i can use 1 Microsoft account with all my games on there to sign in on my computer im going to be building because i just recently...
  9. Windows account messed up, 1 device showing up as 2.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows account messed up, 1 device showing up as 2.: One of those has windows home the other shows windows 10 Pro. This was due to scratch wipe install. Don't listen to the store we will always have record of purchases. I hope so....
  10. Separate 2 computers from 1 Microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Separate 2 computers from 1 Microsoft account: We have 2 computers and have set them up under 1 Microsoft account. I would like to separate the 2 computers. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/separate-2-computers-from-1-microsoft-account/81b88d88-4751-4404-b7b6-8e8f299c0bce