Windows 10: How to stop Win10 from scanning USB ports

Discus and support How to stop Win10 from scanning USB ports in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I shutdown or restart Win10, it took a long time (like 4 minutes) to happen. I discovered that if I disconnect the USB2 cable from my Hauppauge... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mck, May 21, 2017.

1. MCK
    mck Win User

How to stop Win10 from scanning USB ports

When I shutdown or restart Win10, it took a long time (like 4 minutes) to happen. I discovered that if I disconnect the USB2 cable from my Hauppauge HD-PVR device, the shutdown or restart happens in about 16 seconds. The long 4 minute delay never used to happen when I was using Win7 even if the HD-PVR unit was always connected.

Is there a way to stop Win10 from scanning the USB ports on a shutdown or restart so I can leave my HD-PVR unit connected?

:)

2. auggy Win User

Win10, all USB ports stop working - USB xCHI Compliant host Controller error (this device cannot start. code 10)

You're welcome. Thanks for the follow-up.

auggy, May 21, 2017
  3. auggy Win User
    Win10, all USB ports stop working - USB xCHI Compliant host Controller error (this device cannot start. code 10)

Seems to be the same issue with same motherboard in following link:

USB XHCI Cannot Start (Code 10) - Windows 10 - Tom's Hardware

From what is described in that link and your issue the issue is most likely a software (driver) issue.

If Windows is not providing an updated driver then you could consider as a last resort using a modded driver there is also one available from the following link:

USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers (original and modded)

You could create a System Restore point beforehand.

auggy, May 21, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

5. MCK
    mck Win User
  6. MCK
    mck Win User
    Found the fix. (EDIT: nope, not the fix. See my next post. ) My HD-PVR unit was in some sort of locked up state, causing the long Win10 shutdown/restart delay. I unplugged the power cable from the HD-PVR unit and then plugged it back in to reset it. Now Win10 can shutdown/restart at normal speed.

Still wish that Win10 did not scan the USB ports on shutdown/restart like Win7 does not scan, but at least I can leave my PVR unit connected all the time now. ----- It totally does not make sense that Win10 scans the USB ports and can hang on shutdown or restart. After all, aside from a normal shutdown to turn off the PC or restart after software install/uninstall, isn't doing a shutdown or restart to overcome a problem that may be happening? Totally doesn't make any sense for Win10 to scan USB ports and hang on shutdown or restart IMO.

Anyway, hope this helps others if they have long Win10 shutdown/restart delays.

7. MCK
    mck Win User
    Changed solved to unsolved. I'm still getting delayed shutdown/restarts if my external hard drive docking station is plugged into a USB3 port but the docking station is turned off without a hard drive in it. This delay is about 43 seconds and if I remove the USB3 cable, Win10's shutdown/restart is faster.

So I still need to find a way to stop Win10 from scanning the USB ports when doing a shutdown or restart. Hope someone knows how to stop the idiotic Win10 USB port scans on shutdown/restart.

Thema:

1. How to stop Win10 from scanning USB ports - Similar Threads - stop Win10 scanning

2. USB ports stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB ports stopped working: Hello everyone, I have a Samsung Odyssey laptop with Windows 10 and all of its USB ports stopped working after a sudden blue screen error a few days ago.I've already tried A LOT of solutions that I found on the internet, but none of them worked for me.In Device Manager >...
  3. USB ports stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB ports stopped working: Hello everyone, I have a Samsung Odyssey laptop with Windows 10 and all of its USB ports stopped working after a sudden blue screen error a few days ago.I've already tried A LOT of solutions that I found on the internet, but none of them worked for me.In Device Manager >...
  4. USB Ports stop working

USB Ports stop working: Dell XPS 8700 commputer, Windows 10 Home, Version 21H2, Installed on ‎10/‎30/‎2020, OS build 19044.1415, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0. Have done windows troubleshooting, unchecked allow computer to shut down port in Device Manager. Shut down and restarted...
  5. USB Ports stop working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Ports stop working: Dell XPS 8700 commputer, Windows 10 Home, Version 21H2, Installed on ‎10/‎30/‎2020, OS build 19044.1415, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0. Have done windows troubleshooting, unchecked allow computer to shut down port in Device Manager. Shut down and restarted...
  6. USB Ports stop working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. usb ports stopped working

usb ports stopped working: I am using a Dell all in one desktop with windows 10. I have 6 usb ports and 4 have stopped detecting any devices. The 2 that are working have the mouse and keyboard attached. If I unplug the mouse or keyboard and plug back in they are detected. If I plug the mouse or...
  8. USB ports stopped working

USB ports stopped working: Three of the four USB ports on my Intel nuc8i3bek stopped working reliably, all of a sudden. They will occasionally all work for a couple of minutes (at the same time), then go on and off about once per second for a couple minutes, then stop working again. I have tried, to...
  9. USB port stopped working

USB port stopped working: I am having a problem with one of my USB 3.0 ports on my HP laptop. The port was working fine until I accidentally moved my flash drive which was plugged into the port. At that point the flash drive lost connection & that USB port has failed to recognize any flash drives that...
  10. usb port stopped working

usb port stopped working: my usb ports stopped working after i rolled back window update 1809 to 1709 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-port-stopped-working/5107a9ed-05b9-4518-a5e8-f72dc3450adb