Windows 10: Restart Computer in Windows 10

Discus and support Restart Computer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Restart Computer in Windows 10 How to Restart the Computer in Windows 10 [img] Information Restart will close all apps, sign out all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Restart Computer in Windows 10

How to: Restart Computer in Windows 10

How to Restart the Computer in Windows 10

Restart Computer in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Restart will close all apps, sign out all users, and full shutdown and restart (reboot) the PC.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to restart your local Windows 10 PC.

Note Old behavior:
    - When you shut down your PC, all apps are closed
    - After reboot/restart, you have to re-open any app you'd like to use

New behavior:
    - When shutting down your PC, any open apps are "bookmarked" (for lack of a better word)
    - After reboot/restart, these apps will re-open automatically

Workaround:
    - Shut down all apps before you shut down or restart the PC.
    OR
    - Shut down from Alt+F4 Shut Down Windows dialog.
    OR
    - Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Source: Programs autostart after boot in Windows 10 Insider Preview 16257 - Microsoft Community

UPDATE: Starting with Windows 10 build 17040:

Based on your feedback, the feature to restore applications that have registered for application restart after you reboot or shutdown (through power options available on the Start Menu and various other locations) has been set to only occur for users that have enabled “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting my device after an update or restart” in the Privacy section under Sign-in Options Settings.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Restart Computer from Start Menu
    1. Open the *Start Start menu, click/tap on the
    Power button, and click/tap on Restart. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restart Computer from Win+X Quick Link Menu
    1. Open the Win+X Quick Link menu, click/tap on Shut down or sign out, and click/tap on Restart. (see screenshot below)

OR

2. Press the Win+X keys, press U, and press R.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Restart Computer from Alt+F4 Shut Down Windows Dialog
    1. Click/tap on your desktop to make it the current focused (active) window, and press the Alt+F4 keys.

2. Select Restart in the drop down menu, and click/tap on OK or press Enter. (see screenshots below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Restart Computer from Ctrl+Alt+Del Screen
    1. Press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys, click/tap on the
    Power button, and click/tap on Restart. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Restart Computer from Sign-in Screen
    1. While on the sign-in screen, click/tap on the
    Power button, and click/tap on Restart. (see screenshot below)

OPTION SIX [/i] To Restart Computer from Command Prompt

Tip If you like, you can also run the commands below in the Win+R Run command dialog.

1. Open a command prompt, type the command below you want to use, and press Enter.

*Arrow shutdown /r

Note Performs a full shutdown and restart the computer.

*Arrow shutdown /r /f /t 0

Note Immediately force running applications to close, and then performs a full shutdown and restart the computer.

*Arrow shutdown /r /t xxx

Note Performs a full shutdown and restart the computer after a timeout period you specified in seconds.

Substitute xxx in the command above with between 0-315360000 seconds you want for the timeout period. If the timeout period is greater than 0, the /f (force) parameter is implied.

*Arrow shutdown /r /c "Your comment here"

Note Displays a warning with your comment, and performs a full shutdown and restart the computer.

Substitute Your comment here in the command above with the comment you want up to 512 characters.

*Arrow shutdown /r /t xxx /c "Your comment here"

Note Displays a warning notice with your comment, and performs a full shutdown and restart the computer after a timeout period you specified in seconds.

Substitute Your comment here in the command above with the comment you want up to 512 characters.

Substitute xxx in the command above with between 0-315360000 seconds you want for the timeout period. If the timeout period is greater than 0, the /f (force) parameter is implied.

*Arrow shutdown /g

Note Performs a full shutdown and restart the computer. Will restart any applications that were open when you restarted after the system is rebooted and you sign in.

*Arrow shutdown /g /c "Your comment here"

Note Displays a warning with your comment, and performs a full shutdown and restart the computer. Will restart any applications that were open when you restarted after the system is rebooted and you sign in.

*Arrow shutdown /g /t xxx /c "Your comment here"

Note Displays a warning notice with your comment, and performs a full shutdown and restart the computer after a timeout period you specified in seconds. Will restart any applications that were open when you restarted after the system is rebooted and you sign in.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Restart Computer from PowerShell

Note To see all Restart-Computer options in Windows PowerShell 5.0, see: Restart-Computer

1. Open Windows PowerShell, type the command below you want to use, and press Enter.

*Arrow restart-computer

Note Performs a full shutdown and restart the computer.

*Arrow restart-computer -force

Note Forces running applications to close, and then performs a full shutdown and restart the computer.

*Arrow restart-computer -confirm

Note Prompts you to confirm before performing a full shutdown and restart the computer.

*Arrow restart-computer -force -confirm

Note Prompts you to confirm before forces running applications to close, and then performs a full shutdown and restart the computer.

OPTION EIGHT [/i] To Perform an Emergency Restart in Windows 10

Note In some situations you may have to shut down and restart Windows very quickly. This would be an emergency restart. An emergency restart is basically just a forced restart without a timeout. (ex: shutdown.exe -R -T 00 -F​)

An emergency restart can be helpful in circumstances when you cannot normally restart your computer, and is much better than turning off the power to your computer by performing a hard restart (reboot) which can be harmful to the computer.

1. Press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys.

2. Press and hold the Ctrl key, click/tap on the Power button, and release the Ctrl key. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on OK to restart the computer. (see screenshot below)

OPTION NINE [/i] To Restart Computer using Cortana Voice Command

Note Starting with Hey Cortana voice command to restart the computer.

In addition, you can also ask Cortana to execute this command on the Lock screen, but first you should enable Cortana on the Lock screen if you have not done so already.

1. Using Hey Cortana, use the voice command below.
    *Arrow "Hey Cortana, restart my computer."
    2. Cortana may ask you for a verbal confirmation. You’ll have to respond to Cortana with a "Yes" for Cortana to complete the voice command.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Oct 15, 2017

2. Computer restart hangs in Windows 10

Have tried all of the above and the computer still hangs when restarting. I have installed a fresh copy of windows 10 2 times and works fine. Get all the updates and still works fine. Then all of a sudden hangs on restarting. I can shut down and press power
    and works fine then when I try to restart hangs.

Have 5 computers with same specifications and the other 4 no problem.

Have ran C:\Windows\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Reports no problems. What is causing this to a new fresh install

bill

Bill Inglis, Oct 15, 2017
  3. Computer restart hangs in Windows 10

Hello Juzzy,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Glad to know that your issue has been fixed. Ensure that your PC is updated to the latest updates offered and the drivers are also updated to the latest version via the Windows updates.

Keep posting for further queries that you might face in the future.

Joy Kemprai, Oct 15, 2017
Thema:

Restart Computer in Windows 10

1. Restart Computer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restart Computer

2. Computer freezes, makes a buzzing sound, BSODs and then immediately restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes, makes a buzzing sound, BSODs and then immediately restarts: So recently, when I have been playing a game roblox, my PC occasionally freezes, then a loud buzzing noise comes from speakers, then after about 10 seconds it crashes, blue screen of death comes up for a second or two and then it immediately restarts. Roblox isn't...
  3. Computer freezes, makes a buzzing sound, BSODs and then immediately restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes, makes a buzzing sound, BSODs and then immediately restarts: So recently, when I have been playing a game roblox, my PC occasionally freezes, then a loud buzzing noise comes from speakers, then after about 10 seconds it crashes, blue screen of death comes up for a second or two and then it immediately restarts. Roblox isn't...
  4. I have to restart my computer for my headphones to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have to restart my computer for my headphones to work: I have an alienware m16. Whenever i try to plug in my headphones they dont work and i have to restart my computer for them to work, they also just stop working even when plugged in....
  5. I have to restart my computer for my headphones to work

I have to restart my computer for my headphones to work: I have an alienware m16. Whenever i try to plug in my headphones they dont work and i have to restart my computer for them to work, they also just stop working even when plugged in....
  6. Driver_POWER_STATE_FAILURE occures when restarting or shutting down computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver_POWER_STATE_FAILURE occures when restarting or shutting down computer: I began encountering this error after updating certain drivers. I attempted to uninstall or rollback the drivers, but my computer was operating sluggishly at the time. Consequently, I opted to reset my computer, which resulted in smoother performance. However, despite this...
  7. Driver_POWER_STATE_FAILURE occures when restarting or shutting down computer

Driver_POWER_STATE_FAILURE occures when restarting or shutting down computer: I began encountering this error after updating certain drivers. I attempted to uninstall or rollback the drivers, but my computer was operating sluggishly at the time. Consequently, I opted to reset my computer, which resulted in smoother performance. However, despite this...
  8. My HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-ee1xxx keeps restarting randomly. Computer Restarted, Reason...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-ee1xxx keeps restarting randomly. Computer Restarted, Reason...: Hello, My HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-ee1xxx keeps rebooting randomly with the below 2 error codes from the event viewer or CMD prompt. see Below.I have already ran the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics and the hardware all passes the tests. I am using Windows 11.I am also getting...
  9. My HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-ee1xxx keeps restarting randomly. Computer Restarted, Reason...

My HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-ee1xxx keeps restarting randomly. Computer Restarted, Reason...: Hello, My HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-ee1xxx keeps rebooting randomly with the below 2 error codes from the event viewer or CMD prompt. see Below.I have already ran the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics and the hardware all passes the tests. I am using Windows 11.I am also getting...
  10. My computer randomly restarts while playing!

My computer randomly restarts while playing!: When doing heavy task my pc restarts without BSOD. When I open a game it can restart in five minutes or in one, two, three hours of gameplay.Event Viewer always show me this:I've tried a fresh install of w10 and w11. Same issue.Already did this...