Windows 10: How to trigger the Windows Update to install?

Discus and support How to trigger the Windows Update to install? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows Update hasn't made any updates since I installed it. The interface has changed a lot since previous versions of Windows. Does anyone know how... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Hannele2, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Hannele2 Win User

How to trigger the Windows Update to install?

Windows Update hasn't made any updates since I installed it. The interface has changed a lot since previous versions of Windows. Does anyone know how to trigger an update?

:)

Hannele2, Jul 12, 2016
  2. how to do Win User

HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Jul 12, 2016
  3. KewlDawg Win User
    How to trigger a Windows update to 1703 (Enterprise specific) ???

The kind people over in TechNet ended up pointing me back here, for my answer. I figured I would post the link they gave, here in this thread too, just in case it is of help to someone else someday.

Build 10547 update failed, rolled back, update no longer available?

The solution in the referenced thread solved my problem! Upon doing the Regedit, my copy of Windows 10 immediately re-downloaded and re-installed the 1703 Feature update. How to trigger the Windows Update to install? :)

My thanks to al who offered help.

KewlDawg, Jul 12, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 12, 2016
  5. mrgeek Win User
    mrgeek, Jul 12, 2016
  6. Hannele2 Win User
    Thanks guys but what about simply opening the "Windows Update" window or whatever it may be re-named to, in Windows 10?

Hannele2, Jul 13, 2016
  7. Click on the Start button and type update - you'll see "Check for updates'" in the displayed list. Click on it.

Unless you've changed the settings, Windows checks for all updates automatically in the background, you no longer get the option of installing specific critical updates only. And unless you tame it by changing some settings, every new release of Windows 10 will be downloaded, up to, I'd estimate, a number of Gigabytes per month. So if you're on a low data plan you'll need to change some settings to tame it.

bigbadsteve, Jul 13, 2016
  8. Hannele2 Win User

Thanks for the tip Steve! Good comprehensive explanation. But when I type Update I get the message, firt "Best Match Search for Updates", I click it and get "Nothing found".
    Wut?

Hannele2, Jul 14, 2016
  9. Hannele2 Win User
    All the old interfaces still seem to be there... So I am guessing I can get to the Windows 8.1 style WIndows Update still, or?
    How can I see if it's applied the latest updates...? And stop it from doing so unless I approve it?

Hannele2, Jul 14, 2016
  10. You guessed wrong, Hannele2, in Windows 10, as I already stated here, you can't start Windows Update the old way. And you definitely can't prevent specific updates before they're first installed. Like it or not. This has been well studied by many. More than one power user has quite rightly complained about this to Microsoft.

It's possible to prevent all Windows Updates but I'm not going to say how here, since that would result in an increasingly insecure system.

You can prevent drivers updating automatically.

The following webpages describe how to tame Windows Update somewhat in Win10:
    What You Need to Know About Windows Update on Windows 10
    [Tip] Customize Installation of Device Driver Software from Windows Update - AskVG
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/...-in-windows-10

If an update causes enough problems, you can uninstall it via Control Panel, then prevent it reinstalling with the method described here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
    If you do this for any particular security update, you'd be wise to study the pertinent Microsoft page about the consequences of not installing it. And probably try to reinstall it sometime later in case Microsoft fix it.

Of course it's possible a bad update might make your system unbootable. Which is why everyone should do regular full partition backups to multiple destinations. And always have the correct version Windows 10 installation disk (or on a thumbdrive). You need to download the iso file and create one for every new version of Windows 10 you upgrade to as well (e.g. the current Anniversary Update), or you won't be able to use it for recovery! (Another major annoyance from Microsoft, who clearly have not targetted power users with Windows 10).

Obviously if your computer becomes unbootable due to a bad update, you need to learn how to boot from the installation disk and perform repairs (difficulty: medium to extreme), or pay someone else to do it, or somehow butter up your local trustworthy geek to fix the mess.

Why not use the great new Microsoft feedback feature in Windows 10 to tell them what you think of the changes.

bigbadsteve, Aug 4, 2016
  11. The method in the askVG link doesn't give me the option like it shows in the screenshot. Choosing driver install options I get either yes or no and nothing else but save changes.

Swaglife81, Aug 4, 2016
  12. BRU
    bru Win User
    That article is either old or providing incorrect information. As you saw you only have two choices for driver installation, yes or no.

Thema:

1. How to trigger the Windows Update to install? - Similar Threads - trigger Update install

2. How does windows trigger the lockscreen.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How does windows trigger the lockscreen.: I need to launch my screensaver manually but i also need the lockscreen to activate when i do. I have looked everywhere on google and while there are plenty on how to launch the screen saver they all just launch the screen saver file and thus do not lock the screen on resume....
  3. How does windows trigger the lockscreen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does windows trigger the lockscreen.: I need to launch my screensaver manually but i also need the lockscreen to activate when i do. I have looked everywhere on google and while there are plenty on how to launch the screen saver they all just launch the screen saver file and thus do not lock the screen on resume....
  4. How does windows trigger the lockscreen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to trigger Windows Toast notifications ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to trigger Windows Toast notifications ?: Hi,I am looking for a way to acitvate the system toast notification for Windows Hello.As I understand it, it will only display three times to the user, if not configured, the notification will not display again.I would like to activate the notification as many times as...
  6. Bitlocker Recovery triggered by Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Recovery triggered by Windows update: My HP Envy laptop did a windows update last night and today it is asking for the Bitlocker Recovery key.I have checked the recovery key stored on my microsoft account and it is not the right one. I don't understand how this can be as this is the only laptop/PC that I have...
  7. Bitlocker Recovery triggered by Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker Recovery triggered by Windows update: My HP Envy laptop did a windows update last night and today it is asking for the Bitlocker Recovery key.I have checked the recovery key stored on my microsoft account and it is not the right one. I don't understand how this can be as this is the only laptop/PC that I have...
  8. How to manually trigger to install all updates with including restarts at once on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to manually trigger to install all updates with including restarts at once on Windows 10: Hi all,is there a way for Windows 10 to:manually trigger the process of installing the updates manually not in a planned time slotthat it includes all restarts needed for installing the updatesthat it installs all available updates important / optional depending on the...
  9. How to trigger the install of C:\$Windows.~bt

How to trigger the install of C:\$Windows.~bt: Since v1809 had a bad reputation, to test whether the v1809 update was viable, I made clones of my v1803 system, then on a clone ran the SetUp.exe for v1809-on-the-USB-stick, because I was told that an upgrade can not be done by booting from the USB. The first clone failed to...
  10. Windows Updates Triggers Index Rebuild

Windows Updates Triggers Index Rebuild: I've been experiencing spontaneous index rebuilds whenever updates get installed. Any one else seeing this? It's been happening for several months and it seems to be definitively caused by any update. For instance KB4467702 (Nov 11) caused it, then my index was just about...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to trigger windows update installations

2. HOW TO FIX SECURE BOOT VIOLATON WIN 8

3. windows trigger windows update install