Windows 10: How to turn off Norton Security and turn on Defender

Discus and support How to turn off Norton Security and turn on Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I currently have Norton Security on my laptop supplied courtesy of my Comcast account. It does the job as an Security program, but I suspect it's... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by John-Charleston, Jan 11, 2020.

1. How to turn off Norton Security and turn on Defender

I currently have Norton Security on my laptop supplied courtesy of my Comcast account. It does the job as an Security program, but I suspect it's bogging down the laptop. I want to try just using Defender as I've read that it's now as good as any other Security program out there. My questions are:

How do I turn on Defender and do I need to disable/uninstall Norton first?

If I disable Norton, do I need to disconnect from the internet first so I won't be without a security program til I activate Defender?

Does Defender have a backup function? If not, can I keep using the Norton backup function even if I turn the rest of Norton off?

Thanks

:)

John-Charleston, Jan 11, 2020
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Will Windows Defender turn itself on

After Norton expires, restart (reboot) the system. Defender should automatically turn on. Opening Defender (in search, type DEFENDER. App will be at top) should look like this.

How to turn off Norton Security and turn on Defender [​IMG]

If Defender is off, it will look like this. Click Turn On. You may also receive a notification banner in lower right of desktop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note, if Norton is set to expire in a couple of weeks (around month end), you may want to consider just disabling it now and uninstalling and setting up Defender. On 8/02/16, there is a major Windows 10 update scheduled. Just a suggestion to avoid having to deal with both at the same time. TC

f14tomcat, Jan 11, 2020
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Norton Security Incompatible With Windows 10?

Does Norton say you have a version of their product that is compatible with Win 10?

See Fix problems with Norton after upgrading to Windows 10

And

https://updatecenter.norton.com

Alternatively - - -

Two suggestions to try.

Good luck…

P.S. I'm not employed by MS!

Le Boule, Jan 11, 2020
  4. How to turn off Norton Security and turn on Defender

norton internet security

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As pre the issue description you willing to use Norton Internet Security on your system.

I would request you to use Windows Defender instead of any third party security software. At the end it is your computer and its upon you that which security software you should use.

If you have to use Windows Defender you may try the steps provided below.

• To toggle Windows Defender on and off press Windows Key and start typing
      Windows Defender in the search box.
    • Defender will quickly pop into the search results.
    • Give it a click and the Defender application will steal the stage.
    • If Defender is disabled you’ll immediately know because of the frightening blood red color theme that decorates the main window.

How to turn off Norton Security and turn on Defender fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-turn-on-off-windows-defender.png

• Click the obnoxiously big Turn on button to activate Defender.
    • When everything turns green, you’re protected.

How to turn off Norton Security and turn on Defender fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-windows-defender-on.png

• You can run a full scan by clicking Scan now in the right pane. If you want to disable Windows Defender, head over to the Settings tab and uncheck
      Turn on real-time protection (recommended).

How to turn off Norton Security and turn on Defender fixedbyvonnie-windows-8-1-windows-defender-turn-real-time-protection-off.png

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jan 11, 2020
Thema:

How to turn off Norton Security and turn on Defender

1. How to turn off Norton Security and turn on Defender - Similar Threads - turn off Norton

2. how to turn off Windows defender?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to turn off Windows defender?: how do you turn off Windows security in Windows 10. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-windows-defender/e6b1ad36-a72e-495f-bade-601143f7d0a8
  3. how to turn off Windows defender?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to turn off Windows defender?: how do you turn off Windows security in Windows 10. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-windows-defender/e6b1ad36-a72e-495f-bade-601143f7d0a8
  4. how to turn off Windows defender?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Norton Security (Comcast) firewall gets turned off, can't reset it ON

Norton Security (Comcast) firewall gets turned off, can't reset it ON: The Smart Firewall part of Norton Internet Security (Comcast) is turned off and the Settings window for the firewall is all greyed out. I can't even move the scroll bar. I uninstalled and reinstalled NIS. At first, the firewall was active, but then it became inactive again....
  6. How to turn OFF Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn OFF Windows Defender: I have an A/V Program and need to disable Windows Defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-turn-off-windows-defender/aae6c335-538b-4518-8b19-b13591227886
  7. how to turn off windows defender

how to turn off windows defender: Don't want windows defender. Have my own security. Tried on line tutorials but the methods seem different. Click start -> Type windows defender. Have a side menu starting with Windows update, Windows security down to windows insider program. Right side Virus threat down...
  8. how to turn off windows defender

in Windows 10 Support
    how to turn off windows defender: Don't want windows defender. Have my own security. Tried on line tutorials but the methods seem different. Click start -> Type windows defender. Have a side menu starting with Windows update, Windows security down to windows insider program. Right side Virus threat down...
  9. I am running Norton Security. How do I turn off Windows Defender?

I am running Norton Security. How do I turn off Windows Defender?: I am running Norton Security. How do I turn off Windows Defender? * Original title: Defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/i-am-running-norton-security-how-do-i-turn-off/43ce2040-06f4-4389-9636-ad2a5c5d20f9
  10. turn off defender

turn off defender: under settings windows defender does not give option to turn off, can someone help, also webroot paid version is running, will they conflict 88943

Users found this page by searching for:

1. norton license expired - need to activate microsoft defender