Windows 10: How to turn off Win Aero?

Discus and support How to turn off Win Aero? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How can I deactivate Aero for Win 10? And / or use a design needing as less resources as possible? 94658 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Enter, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Enter Win User

How to turn off Win Aero?

How can I deactivate Aero for Win 10? And / or use a design needing as less resources as possible?

:)

Enter, Oct 1, 2017

2. How to Turn Off Update to Win 10?

I had a similar issue. After trying Windows 10 for a week I decided to go back to a previously saved Windows-7 image. But I too was "stuck" with Windows Update telling me it was ready for the Windows 10 upgrade. I could NOT hide the Windows 10 upgrade
    within Windows Update because Windows Update apparently thought I was already in the middle of an upgrade and insisted on a restart to continue. But restarts had no effect one way or the other.

For anyone who might be interested, here's what I did. Note that I'm running Windows 7. If you're trying this from Windows 8.1 then your steps may vary somewhat.

WARNING: Edit the registry at your own risk. I make no claim that the registry edits I specify below are "recommended," "correct," or "appropriate." Only that they worked for me.

• I used regedit to delete the entire key: HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/WindowsUpdate/OSUpdate
    • Restarted
    • I don't remember, but believe that Windows Update continued to indicate that a reboot was required to install pending updates.
    • Configured Windows Update to allow me to choose which updates would be installed rather than auto-install.
    • Selected GWX (Get Windows 10) in the system tray and checked status of upgrade: Rather than downloaded and ready to install - where I had been stuck for days - Get Windows 10 now reported "Upgrade Reserved" but indicated no progress regarding download.
      Finally! At least _some_ progress.
    • Used Get Windows 10 to cancel my Windows 10 reservation (GWX vanished from system tray about 5 minutes thereafter?)
    • Used Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates to uninstall KB3035583 (Get Windows 10), then restarted the PC
    • Windows Update indicated: Restart to install important updates. Restarted as requested, but the "Restart to install important updates" remained after restart. So this restart may be unnecessary.
    • Used regedit to examine HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/WindowsUpadate/AutoUpdate
    • Set OSUpgradePendingReboot to 0 (believe it had been = either 2 or 4, but don't remember for sure)
    • Restarted. Windows Update now says: Check for Updates. Did so. Windows Update announced "Restart to install important updates."
    • Among the updates was KB3035583 (which would re-install "Get Windows 10" and would start this whole nightmare over again) Right-clicked and Hid that update. Selected the two remaining updates. Configured WU to auto-download and auto-install all
      important updates.
    • Installed them and Restarted one last time.
    • All has been "normal" since then! Windows 7 is up-to-date and Windows Update is working as expected. And no more periodic nag from "Get Windows 10" to reserve your update

Good Luck!

cw

Charlie_Wright, Oct 1, 2017
  3. SmokeyA Win User
    How to Turn Off Update to Win 10?

If you select show all updates, underneath the update option in windows update, select optional updates, then deselect upgrade to windows 10

you can then right click and 'hide this update',

If you then want to get rid of the upgrade to windows 10 Nag, you need to remove KB3035583 when it asks you if you want to install that update again deselect it and again right click to 'hide this update'

Once hidden both should not re-download unless you unhide the updates

Regards

SmokeyA, Oct 1, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Aero disappeared with Win 7. I guess you are referring to the limited transparency effects. Really these occasion very little system load.

Anyway: Go to the Tutorial section
    Windows 10 Tutorial Index Windows 10 Tutorials
    Search for
    transparency

(E.g. use CTRL F & F3 in your browser or a menu option as appropriate to search the page)

Here are some:
    Turn On or Off Transparency Effects in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Change Cortana Search Box Background Transparency in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Transparency Effects in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

You are always free to search and browse the Tutorial section.

dalchina, Oct 1, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    What dalchina said, also to use less resources:
    In file explorer, right click "This PC" and select properties, and it will bring this up, and select Advanced System Settings

How to turn off Win Aero? [​IMG]

On the advanced tab, select Performance>settings:

Then uncheck what you can do without:

Cliff S, Oct 1, 2017
  6. Enter Win User
    Thank you very much, dalchina!

Alright, yes (little system load), whatever I tried it did not make anything (there are some programs being extremely slow with some processes) (noticeably) faster. Didn't know there are so many settings regarding design / effects.

Many thanks, Cliff S.

I have set it like this now:

Now Win behaves odd:

Enter, Oct 1, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    Those settings have been around a long time, since at least Windows 7, perhaps as early as XP.

I would just try various combinations of those settings until it behaves how you want it.

swarfega, Oct 1, 2017
  8. Enter Win User

Yes, I never used / changed (besides of a very few of them) those kind of settings, I will try a little bit.

Enter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to turn off Win Aero? - Similar Threads - turn off Aero

2. How to turn off copilot for win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off copilot for win 10: Hey Team, I would like to check this feature with you,I have a request from a client to disable Microsoft Copilot on all computers. Is this possible?Could please provide some guidance on how to do this? I've only found documentation for windows 11....
  3. How to turn off copilot for win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off copilot for win 10: Hey Team, I would like to check this feature with you,I have a request from a client to disable Microsoft Copilot on all computers. Is this possible?Could please provide some guidance on how to do this? I've only found documentation for windows 11....
  4. How to turn off copilot for win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to turn off Dynamic Contrast Win 10?

How to turn off Dynamic Contrast Win 10?: This feature has been bugging me for so long and I can't seem to find a working solution.I have a desktop PC, so no light sensors or anything so right now I'm not talking about Adaptive Brightness, when the laptop changes the backlight intensity of the screen depending on the...
  6. Win 7 Aero (Win Explorer color change)

Win 7 Aero (Win Explorer color change): Hello, I am running Windows 7 x64 (Aero Theme) on my PC. I want to know if there is any way to change the AERO theme's -- > WinExplorer's background color from white to something darker ? (I know I can switch to Classic mode Theme and I can change the colors BUT I prefer to...
  7. I can't turn off Aero Peek.

I can't turn off Aero Peek.: Since our Windows Update, Peak had enabled itself and I can't turn it off by either of the methods. I had read that there is an Aero Peek troubleshooter, but it's unclear to me where it is....
  8. How to completely turn off Aero Peek

How to completely turn off Aero Peek: I have done everything I can to turn off Aero Peek. I'm referring to the thumbnail previews you see when you mouse over an open item on your bottom taskbar. For example, if I have Word open but am looking at my desktop, if I mouse over the "Microsoft Word" icon in the taskbar...
  9. win defender is turned off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    win defender is turned off: i noticed win defender is turned off. although i have avast anti virus, should i turn it back on?*Shock 92839
  10. Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Snap Windows in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Snap Windows in Windows 10 Your screen can get cluttered if you have a lot of opened app windows. The Snap windows (aka: Aero Snap) feature includes Snap Assist and 2x2 snapping to help you organize...