Windows 10: How to turn on window defender antivirus protection

Discus and support How to turn on window defender antivirus protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi there, I was trying to turn on the window defender antivirus protection on window 10. I went into service under administrative too and tried to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ThriftyThrifty, May 1, 2020.

1. How to turn on window defender antivirus protection

Hi there,

I was trying to turn on the window defender antivirus protection on window 10. I went into service under administrative too and tried to start the antivirus protection but with an error message 577 saying:

"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source."

Appreciate if anyone can help to resolve this matter.

Thanks

Raymond

:)

ThriftyThrifty, May 1, 2020
  2. Le Boule Win User

Windows Defender Real-time Protection will not turn on

Did you follow the steps recommended in Solutions

How about the steps recommended at Uninstall Bitdefender

Try running the removal tools for any security program that you previously used on the computer and be sure to reboot after using each tool. See
    List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

Have you tried the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    ?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For further detailed information suggest you review the reply of quietman7 in
    this thread: Windows Defender.

“The inability to turn on Windows Defender 8/10 is typically the result of having a third-party anti-virus installed or failure to remove it properly (completely). Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection,
    it is disabled during the installation of another anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus (i.e. McAfee, Norton, etc) came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, Windows
    Defender will be turned off
    (disabled). Windows Defender recognizes the install and automatically disables itself when other anti-virus products are used to avoid conflicts. Windows Defender will remain
    disabled until that anti-virus software has been completely uninstalled
    . In some cases, you may need to download and run the anti-virus vendor's clean up tool to remove any remaining remnants.

After removal of the third party anti-virus, Windows 8/10 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it. When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus Defender should automatically turn itself on but sometimes you may receive a message
    indicating your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, and Defender remains disabled, you will need to manually turn it on.

If that is not the case in your situation, check to make sure the Windows Defender service
    is started

Sometimes it may take a couple of computer reboots after performing the above steps to ensure Windows Defender is up and running properly.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Or - - -

There are a number of viable antivirus options available for Windows 10 – free or paid - take your pick…

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=win10

Is Windows Defender The
    Best For Windows 10?
    Good article but ignore the ads.

Regards...

Le Boule, May 1, 2020
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Windows Defender Antivirus protection

In your previous threads you indicated you were using a third party antivirus program so I assume you are a "new" user of Windows Defender.

Any other security program installed?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...b59cebc4f24/how-to-protect-your-windows-10-pc
    Note the statement "If you want to use Windows Defender Antivirus, uninstall all of your other antivirus programs and Windows Defender Antivirus will automatically turn on. You may be asked to restart your device.

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

See the reply of quietman7 in this thread:windowsdefender wont turn on.

If the issue continues recommend you follow the steps in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include (but not limited to) running SFC, scanning for malware with programs such as the Emsisoft Emergency Kit or Malwarebytes and running
    the software removal tools for any security software (AVG, Kaspersky, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer (to include a trial copy of McAfee or Norton or another program that may have been preinstalled on a new computer).
    See List of
    anti-malware product removal tools
    and be sure to restart the computer after running such tools.

You might also want to review http://www.howtogeek.com/220232/how-to-use-the-built-in-windows-defender-antivirus-on-windows-10/ Good
    article but ignore the ads!

If you cannot resolve these issues with Windows Defender please post back in this thread with further information.

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, May 1, 2020
  4. How to turn on window defender antivirus protection

Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused

I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0.

I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender Free) started having some issues (they gui didn't display correctly) so I decided to uninstall it and just go with Windows Defender.

The problem is I can't get it to work... I get a notification in the Action Center saying to turn on the virus protection, when I click it, Windows Defender goes green(PC status: protected, Real time protection: on) for a second and then goes yellow again (PC status: Windows Defender is OFF, Real time protection: Handled by another AV program) and I get the notification again. If instead of clicking the notification I click "Turn on" on the Windows Defender gui, Windows opens another window, "Apps & Features" in settings, like asking me to uninstall the other, nonexistent AV.

Now, I've tried a lot of things...

• Of course, I have completely uninstalled Bitdefender. I used the official tool provided by them for this. There is nothing in the registry by bitdefender nor any file or folder by that name in my PC.

• I have tried every step listed here.

• I have tried to install another AV (Avast) and the uninstall it to see if this would "reset" somehow windows defender. (Nope.)

• I have run MBAM and nothing pops-up

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is noDisableAntiSpyware key. But in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is a DisableAntiSpyware key and its value is 0. (Not sure if this is important but wanted to give you the info.)

Anyone has any idea? Right now I'm thinking of downloading another AV or just go without any and be done with it. *Huh

ThunderRoad, May 1, 2020
Thema:

How to turn on window defender antivirus protection

1. How to turn on window defender antivirus protection - Similar Threads - turn window defender

2. How do i disable windows defender antivirus protection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i disable windows defender antivirus protection?: How do i disable windows defender antivirus protection? mean real time protection & tamper protection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-windows-defender-antivirus/bdf21108-9367-4166-858b-c2e5931d23e9
  3. How do i disable windows defender antivirus protection?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do i disable windows defender antivirus protection?: How do i disable windows defender antivirus protection? mean real time protection & tamper protection. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-disable-windows-defender-antivirus/bdf21108-9367-4166-858b-c2e5931d23e9
  4. I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus...: I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus protection for my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-unable-to-turn-on-the-windows-firewall/afb5e856-c5b1-46ee-97f9-ee7810ab0deb
  5. I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus...: I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus protection for my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-unable-to-turn-on-the-windows-firewall/afb5e856-c5b1-46ee-97f9-ee7810ab0deb
  6. Turning on Windows Defender Antivirus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turning on Windows Defender Antivirus: I just deleted an antivirus software from my computer, and am unable to enable windows defender antivirus.As you can see, there is no option to enable Microsoft defender antivirus....
  7. how to turn on windows defender antivirus on windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to turn on windows defender antivirus on windows 10: how to turn on windows defender antivirus on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-turn-on-windows-defender-antivirus-on/d6614421-897a-43f6-b745-a9690b1b6f79
  8. Windows antivirus and threat protection will not turn on.

Windows antivirus and threat protection will not turn on.: I have windows 10 and I got a message to turn on Windows Antivirus and threat protection. I went to my settings and it won't let me turn it on. It says this is run by my organization. I don't have an organization. I downloaded and ran the Microsoft malicious removal tool it...
  9. turn off antivirus protection

turn off antivirus protection: How do I turn off virus and threat protection https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/turn-off-antivirus-protection/02f78b71-a7fe-4857-8575-978200f555c6
  10. Turn On or Off Tamper Protection for Windows Defender Antivirus

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Tamper Protection for Windows Defender Antivirus: How to: Turn On or Off Tamper Protection for Windows Defender Antivirus How to Turn On or Off Tamper Protection for Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 18305, Microsoft introduced Tamper Protection. Tamper Protection is a new...