Windows 10: How to use the Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut to capture screenshots in Windows 10

Discus and support How to use the Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut to capture screenshots in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Wouldn’t you like to have a built-in tool in Windows to capture all or just part of your screen with a few keystrokes? Well, Windows […] This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Feb 21, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

How to use the Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut to capture screenshots in Windows 10

WinClub, Feb 21, 2020

2. OneNote screen capture shortcut conflicts with Windows10 Search shortcut

Hi Frank,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

Window + S is used for search in Windows 10. So, I suggest you to use the below shortcut methods to take the screenshot and check if it helps.

• Keyboard Shortcut – Windows + PrtScn.

• Keyboard Shortcut – PrtScn.

• Keyboard Shortcut – Alt + PrtScn.

• You can also use snipping tool take the screen shot in Windows 10.
    Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Feb 21, 2020
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Capturing screen contents - the PrntScrn key, Win-Shift-S, the Snipping tool & Screenshots

Technical Level : Basic

Summary

Windows 10 provides several ways of capturing screen contents.

1 The PrntScrn key [All Windows versions] - this inappropriately-named key captures the current screen or window to the clipboard.

2 Win-Shift-S [Windows 10 Ver 1703] - this captures a user-selectable area of the screen to the clipboard

3 The Snipping Tool [Windows 7 onwards] - this captures a user-selectable area of the screen and allows it to be saved as a graphics file

4 Screenshots [Windows 10] - this captures the whole screen as a graphics file

Denis

Details

The PrntScrn key

1.1 This inappropriately-named key captures the current screen or window to the clipboard from where it can be pasted into a graphics-capable application such as MS Paint or MS Word.
    The PrintScreen key has retained its
    pre-Windows 95 name [it used to be a printing control button] but it no longer has anything to do with printing.

1.2 In Windows 10, you can press

• the PrntScrn key** to capture an image of the whole screen,
    [including any visible Screentips and any visible right-click context menu]

• the Ctrl-PrntScrn** key combination to capture an image of the whole screen,
    [including any visible right-click context menu]

• the Alt-PrntScrn** key combination to capture an image of the active window.
    [without either]

** If your keyboard's PrntScrn key has two jobs then you may need to press the Fn key as well -> Fn-PrntScrn. The keyboard maker might have indicated this by labelling PrntScrn in blue and the Fn key in blue but if there is any doubt your computer manual
    ought to explain this.

1.3 The captured image can be retrieved
    from the clipboard by pasting [by, for example, pressing ctrl-v] into a graphics-capable application such as MS Paint or MS Word.

1.4 If captured screen images are black or dark grey while you are using online banking, you probably have the security utility Trusteer Rapport installed - it deliberately
    inhibits capturing screenshots of its protected sites. This behaviour may be overridden in Rapport Advanced policy settings without completely disabling Trusteer Rapport - search their
    support site for details.

1.5 In Windows 7, some online games
    refused to run properly after PrntScrn was used unless the application's shortcut was altered [Properties, Compatibility tab, Disable desktop composition] but this setting does not exist in Windows 10. Whilst

a workaround has been posted in this forum [Issue 5], better guidance
    might exist in publishers' support sites & user forums for any games that suffer from this affliction.

Win-Shift-S

2.1 This key combination in Windows 10 Ver 1703 captures a user-selectable area of the screen to the clipboard from where it can be pasted into a graphics-capable application such as MS Paint or MS Word.

2.2 To use this function in Windows 10 Ver 1703, press the key combination Win-Shift-S. The screen greys out and allows you to drag your cursor to define a screen area for capture. When you let go of the mouse button, the indicated area is sent to the
    clipboard.

2.3 Users of OneNote will find that Win-Shift-S affects their OneNote screen clipping function, for which

a solution has been posted

The Snipping tool

3.1 This Windows 7, 8, 10 Windows component captures a user-selectable area of the screen and allows it to be saved as a graphics file.

3.2 To use the Snipping tool:-

• Open it at Start menu, Windows accessories, Snipping tool.
    • Choose any Mode and Delay that suits your purpose.
    • Click on New.
    • The screen greys out and allows you to drag your cursor to define a screen area for capture.
    • When you let go of the mouse button, the indicated area is sent to the Snipping tool.
    • Use its editing tools [pen, highlighter, rubber] as required.
    • Then use the Snipping tool's toolbar to save the [edited] picture to a file, copy it to the clipboard or email it.

3.3 Take note of the Snipping tool's Delay facility. This allows you to capture, for example, dialog boxes and other temporary items on display.

• You can set it to delay for up to 5 secs then click New to start the countdown.
    • At the appointed moment, the screen will dim and you can drag your cursor to define a screen area for capture.

3.4 There are descriptions of the Snipping tool at

Open Snipping Tool and take a screenshot - WindowsInstantAnswers

and at

Use Snipping Tool to capture screenshots

Screenshots

4.1 This Windows 10 function captures the whole screen as a graphics file. If you have a second monitor set up in Extended desktop mode then Screenshots will capture them both.

4.2 Use the key combination** WindowsKey+PrntScrn and it will save a graphics file with the extension .png in your "Screenshots" folder. When this happens, the screen momentarily dims slightly to tell you that you are doing it. The filename used is set
    automatically - Screenshot (1).png, Screenshot (2).png, ...

** If your PrntScrn key has two jobs then you may need to press the Fn key as well -> Fn-WinKey-PrntScrn. Normally, the keyboard maker will have indicated this by labelling PrntScrn in blue and the Fn key in blue but if there is any doubt your computer
    manual ought to explain this.

4.3 The Screenshots folder is not created until the first time that you use this key combination. The folder is created at

%UserProfile%\Pictures\Screenshots

[you can paste this entry into the File explorer address bar to get straight to it]. This "user folder" can be relocated as explained below.

4.4 Relocating the Screenshots folder

4.4.1 Right-click on the Screenshots folder, select Properties & select the Location tab then you can relocate it to another folder if you want to.

4.4.2 A dialog box appears and it asks whether or not you want to move the contents of the current Screenshots folder to the new location. If you choose to do so then the original folder is removed in the process. If you choose not to move its existing
    contents then they and the existing Screenshots folder itself remain where they are but they no longer have any significance to the system - new screenshots will be sent to the new location.

4.4.3 I normally have mine set to dump the screenshots on my Desktop because that is my general clearing house for work in progress. So, I entered D:\Desktop [%UserProfile%\Desktop] as my new location.

4.4.4 Because I have chosen to use a folder that is itself a "user folder", Windows will not help me to relocate it again [it cannot cope with multiple "user folders" being set to the same folder path].

4.4.5 Had I chosen to relocate it to D:\Desktop\Dumps or any other unique folder then I could change my mind later on and repeat this procedure to relocate it again.

4.4.6 Despite this, I can still change my mind and relocate the Screenshots folder path using RegEdit, the Registry Editor [C:\Windows\System32\regedt32.exe]. I would always back up the relevant Registry key before changing it.

The relevant Registry key is

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

[which I could get to in Windows 10 Ver 1703 by pasting that address in RegEdit's address bar]

within which the relevant Value name is

{B7BEDE81-DF94-4682-A7D8-57A52620B86F}

so I could double-click on this Value name then enter the new folder I wanted to use for Screenshots.

The change would take effect immediately, you would not need to restart the computer.

Posting screen contents in this forum

If you then want to include a screen capture in a post in this forum, click on the picture icon in the editing toolbar that is shown while you are writing a post.

How to use the Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut to capture screenshots in Windows 10 6c152bb2-63b6-4bd8-a740-13616ea92bef.png

Do check the contents of the picture before & after posting it -

1 Check that no sensitive information [such as your email address] is included.

2 Check that the picture shows the point you want to make clearly enough. Add an explanation of what you want readers to notice. This advice about a particular screenshot illustrates several general considerations
    How [best] to post a screenshot of Disk Management - TenForums such as resizing columns
    to show the relevant data.

3 Crop the picture to remove irrelevant parts of it & to ease viewing it.

• Use your normal graphics editor - they all have Cropping capability. In
      MS Paint
      , for example, you click on the Select tool in the toolbar, drag your cursor to include everything you want included then click on
      Crop.
    • Try to match the width of forum posts so that your posted picture is the same size as your original.
    • Check that the details you want to show are large enough to be read properly [an uncropped screenshot of an entire screen is unlikely to be readable].
    • After you post it, look at your posted picture to re-check that the details you want to show really are large enough to be read properly.

Denis

Tryx3, Feb 21, 2020
  4. Frick Win User

How to use the Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut to capture screenshots in Windows 10

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

Keyboard shortcuts to open programs:

Create a shortcut on the desktop to whatever program you want. Right click -> Properties and fill in the field there. Sadly the shortcut needs to remain on the desktop, but you can hide it.

Fun fact: If you had keyboard shortcuts for programs pinned to your Windows 7 start menu, those shortcuts still work when you update to Windows 10.

Frick, Feb 21, 2020
Thema:

1. How to use the Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut to capture screenshots in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut

2. Win+shift+S shortcut doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win+shift+S shortcut doesn't work: Hello, I am using a windows 11 pc and the screenshot shortcut doesn't work. The app functions for the cropping part but the screenshot notification doesn't appear and I cannot save it nor copy it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and checking the settings but it...
  3. Win+shift+S shortcut doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win+shift+S shortcut doesn't work: Hello, I am using a windows 11 pc and the screenshot shortcut doesn't work. The app functions for the cropping part but the screenshot notification doesn't appear and I cannot save it nor copy it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and checking the settings but it...
  4. Shortcuts are not working such as shift+win+s, win +r.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcuts are not working such as shift+win+s, win +r.: recently i noticed my shortcuts have stopped working ive restarted my computer stuff like ctrl + a, ctrl + c, ctrl + v still work but not stuff like win + r or shift+win+si looked at a previous question *link below* but it did not work for me im unsure what to...
  5. Shortcuts are not working such as shift+win+s, win +r.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcuts are not working such as shift+win+s, win +r.: recently i noticed my shortcuts have stopped working ive restarted my computer stuff like ctrl + a, ctrl + c, ctrl + v still work but not stuff like win + r or shift+win+si looked at a previous question *link below* but it did not work for me im unsure what to...
  6. Windows EMOJI tray + Screenshot shortcut win + shift + s are not working after update!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows EMOJI tray + Screenshot shortcut win + shift + s are not working after update!: I have trried all registry fixes, language setting and all. still not working. Help out. My win Ver: Edition :Windows 10 Pro Version :20H2 Installed on ‎:1/‎3/‎2021 OS build :19042.685 Experience :Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0...
  7. win+shift+s screenshot shortcut not working anymore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    win+shift+s screenshot shortcut not working anymore?: title, not that computer savvy so i was wondering if anybody could help me out with this. tried resetting snip and sketch in apps and feature because an online page said to do that but it isn't working submitted by /u/Abstractings [link] [comments]...
  8. Win+Shift+S does not allow me to capture screenshots, the "snipped" screenshot was hold...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win+Shift+S does not allow me to capture screenshots, the "snipped" screenshot was hold...: Hi all! I'm currently facing an issue with my laptop's snipping feature. Usually when Win+Shift+S is used, it fades the screen out and allows for capturing of a portion of the screen, to which I can drag and choose what I want to screenshot. However, in recent days, I am...
  9. How do I save a screenshot after I have captured it with Win+Shift+S?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I save a screenshot after I have captured it with Win+Shift+S?: I am making a huge video project and I need a way to save my screenshots on my computer after I have cut them with Win+Shift+S. How do I do that? submitted by /u/Racoon1505 [link] [comments]...
  10. Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut is not working in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut is not working in Windows 10: [ATTACH]The Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut in Windows 10, lets a user capture a part or full screen and copy it to clipboard. On most occasions, the […] This article Win+Shift+S keyboard shortcut is not working in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...