Windows 10: I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Discus and support I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; You also don't need to boot to the Macrium Rescue disk if you are making a complete backup image, you can do this from your installed Macrium program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hollyoaks777, Mar 1, 2017.

1. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Thank you very much for your help I am going to try an image backupand a recue disk just now and see if I can manage it.

hollyoaks777, Mar 1, 2017

2. Have I done this properly as I didn't see an option to tick to make bootable.

I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis [​IMG]

hollyoaks777, Mar 1, 2017
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    So far it looks ok.....but you have not finished yet....it makes 2, one on your HD, then if you pressed next, it should also copy those files to your USB stick, just make sure its plugged in.
    Your LAST screen shot....SAYS Next ....to finish...

OldMike65, Mar 1, 2017
  4. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Managed to make bootable flash drive but I am now getting this error. I wonder if it's to do with the Seagate software I installed when I got the hard drive as I have never had a problem before with Seagate. It's making me wonder if it is the Seagate software stopping any other program from doing back ups. I took one back this is the second seagate disk I might be taking back. I could use it for movies and transfer everything from my other disk to it. And use that one if I get the same errors I will know for sure it's the Seagate software I installed with the disk.
    Clicked the Acronis fault by mistake. I don't know how to remove it. I have never had one bit of bother with Acronis at all. Anyway any input welcome.

hollyoaks777, Mar 2, 2017
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Ask a Seagate tech, if there is a way to remove there software, as I have never used their software, or their drives. I always buy WD drives or Samsung SSD's . Never cared for Seagate myself. You could try reformatting that drive, that would completely clean it. I'm not familiar with their software, sorry.

OldMike65, Mar 2, 2017
  6. SoFine409 Win User
    Hollyoaks777, just so I understand the situation, you have Seagate backup software, Acronis, and Macrium Fee all installed at the same time on you system or have I misread the posts?
    If this is true, then I'm thinking that you need to uninstall the others and just have one installed. Having two or three installed at the same time is not good. There is a strong possibility that they are conflicting with each other and possibly that is at the root of your issues.

SoFine409, Mar 2, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It looks like the error is in your Windows Recovery Environment partition. Post a screenshot of disk management, please. Make sure to widen all the columns so we can see all of the info in them:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2017
  8. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Yes that's correct Macrium and Acronis were fine with them both installed. I am going to uninstall Seagate with Revo uninstaller. Is there anyway they can hide their software on the external hard drive or on my laptop? I am thinking Revo will take care of the software on my laptop and I will format the external hard drive.

9. Says it's healthy

10. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis [​IMG]
    Has this got anything to do with it?

11. Steve C Win User
    I've had no problems using Reflect with three Seagate external USB drives. Have you tried running chkdsk on your Seagate drive? I would uninstall the Acronis software. I don't know if Acronis have improved their software, but the version I used left behind low level device drivers/filters which were very hard to remove. I would check what drivers are installed for your Seagate drive in Device Manager to see if the Acronis software has left their drivers still installed after uninstalling the Acronis software.

I would also uninstall & reinstall Reflect after removing the Acronis software just to ensure that Reflect is configured properly.

Steve C, Mar 2, 2017
  12. Yes did a check disk on c and d drive. And came back with no errors. I looked up error code 23 and it said I could still backup if I go to advanced and tell it to ignore bad sectors. Is there anyway to repair winre? As backup is going fine now. But I seen this. It might take me a while to get back to you as loading web pages is taking forever.

13. NavyLCDR New Member

I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

You can mount install.esd or install.wim from a Windows 10 installation ISO file, USB flash drive or DVD using DISM and once install.wim or install.esd is mounted there is a recovery folder somewhere in the Windows directory that you can copy back to the Windows recovery environment partition. You can get the same functions of the Windows Recovery Environment by booting from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD.

I don't trust a drive once it starts getting bad sectors because they only tend to start spreading.

NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2017
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    The only problem here is the bad sectors in the Windows RE partition on the internal drive being backed up. There is no issue with the Seagate external drive.

NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2017
  15. I wish I could but no money for it. Now that I have reinstalled Seagate. it's only backing up 12GB. I wish I never uninstalled it now and Macrium is showing new disk, but I can't see it in my computer. Omg I am stuck. Don't know what to do.So I look for a folder, dont open it and paste it into D drive? Which is my recovery partition.

Thema:

I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

1. I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis - Similar Threads - bought Seagate external

2. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  3. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.: I recently bought a Seagate External hard drive. I managed to save 194GB data only. I cannot use my remaining free space in external hard drive. How can I get the available space to work?...
  4. Seagate External hard drive free space cannot be used.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    It won't let me install games on my External Hard drive: For some reason when I try and install a game onto my external hard drive it says that the location isn't set up for installing games and when I tried to change it from my C drive to my D drive it came up with a thing that said "Delete Other Apps" and when I press yes there...
  6. will microsoft let me use external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    will microsoft let me use external hard drive: will microsoft let me buy external hard drive outside their store https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-microsoft-let-me-use-external-hard-drive/a6799d4b-a309-41e8-be23-a0eeb077aa65
  7. how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do i exchange one seagate external hard drive for another seagate external hard drive...: Every time I try to do it, it keeps giving me error messages like Those files are open in another system. or if I try to remove the old Seagate so I can attach a new one it says error. I just want to put the new one on and tell it to receive the backup files....
  8. Bought Used PC; Won't Let Me Activate It

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bought Used PC; Won't Let Me Activate It: Just recently, I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad from 2nd and Charles to try for college. The problem I find, however, is that it states that it can't activate Windows. All it keeps giving me is the Error Code: 0x8007007B The version of Windows is 1511 (unless I can update it with...
  9. Seagate External Hard Drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard Drive not working: I have been trying for several months to understand why my external drive is not working, there are no drive lights flashing although it is humming. I have checked it all out in Device Manager, etc and it recorded as healthy and running correctly. In frustration I have...
  10. Seagate External Hard drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Seagate External Hard drive Decryption: My Seagate Expansion Portable Drive (1 TB) was encrypted in Microsoft Windows 10. When I tried to decrypt it and removed password, Initially, it was removed. but when i plugged it in again in PC, it started asking for password / recovery key. I am using the same key which was...