Windows 10: I cannot hide the $RECYCLE.BIn and System volume information folders..

Discus and support I cannot hide the $RECYCLE.BIn and System volume information folders.. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I cannot hide the $RECYCLE.BIn and System volume information folders.. I have tried changing the settings using the view tab, deleting with ownership... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xero014, Aug 2, 2016.

1. xero014 Win User

I cannot hide the $RECYCLE.BIn and System volume information folders..

I have tried changing the settings using the view tab, deleting with ownership settings and used malwarebytes to scan for any viruses but haven't found anything.
    I don't think they're anything malicious but don't want to see them on each of my four hard drives...

:)

xero014, Aug 2, 2016
  2. Rob Koch Win User

Is $Recycle.Bin and System Volume Information folders safe?

Let me state what that other thread should say much more simply. just leave those folders alone! They are part of Windows itself and almost never malware, though either of them can contain files which include malware within them because they are used for
    either storing files you've deleted or backups of installed files which may be used to perform a system restore.

This is why so many become confused when they enable the view hidden and system files settings of Windows Explorer. Typically, unless you are either trained in the operation of the Windows operating system or have a great deal of interest in learning its
    operation, which takes years, you should probably return these settings to their hidden defaults. All I've ever seen from years of aiding in forums such as these is more pain and effort caused by misguided attempts by those trying to "fix" things that never
    needed it.

If you started down this path due to possible issues with malware, then ask for help with those instead, since many here can aid you far better once you've described your true reason for fiddling with things that should never be touched.

Rob

Rob Koch, Aug 2, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Redundant folders that being self created and cannot be deleted.

These folders are Windows System folders - do not delete them!

$RECYCLE.BIN is the Recycle Bin folder

System Volume Information contains amongst other things your restore points

DaveM121, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 2, 2016
  5. xero014 Win User
    Have checked and it should be hidden but isn't...

xero014, Aug 2, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Run the commands below in an elevated command prompt, and post back the results to see what attributes it shows for the folders.

attrib "C:\$Recycle.Bin"

attrib "C:\System Volume Information"

Brink, Aug 2, 2016
  7. xero014 Win User
    All I got was this?

I cannot hide the $RECYCLE.BIn and System volume information folders.. [​IMG]

xero014, Aug 2, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ok. I see the problem. The hidden attribute has been cleared from these folders. You can use the commands below in an elevated command prompt to set the hidden attribute back to them.

attrib +H "C:\$Recycle.Bin" /S /D

attrib +H "C:\System Volume Information" /S /D

Brink, Aug 2, 2016
  9. xero014 Win User
    Just had this?

I cannot hide the $RECYCLE.BIn and System volume information folders.. [​IMG]

xero014, Aug 2, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 2, 2016
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    Tip - If "Developer Mode" is selected under Settings, Updates and Security, For Developers - then the System & hidden files, file extensions etc., will be visible in Explorer.

Fafhrd, Aug 2, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Go ahead and post a screenshot showing them to see if it anything may stand out. Are the folders faded?

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I cannot hide the $RECYCLE.BIn and System volume information folders.. - Similar Threads - cannot hide $RECYCLE

2. Deleted folder to recycle bin and emptied bin?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted folder to recycle bin and emptied bin?: Hi. I had 2 important pic files from MY PICTURES that got in the recycle bin. I deleted/emptied the files in recycle bin before I knew my pic file was in there.Is there a secondary way to get the files back from recycle bin? I tried to do a restore time on computer, but it...
  3. Cannot Delete to Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Delete to Recycle Bin: Windows 11 Pro v22H2, OS build 22621.819New Thinkpad used <1 weekRecycle Bin properties > Settings for selected location > Custom size 50Gb"Don't move files to Recycle Bin" is OFF"Display delete confirmation dialog" is TICKEDEvery time I delete a file, it asks if I really...
  4. Unwanted folders in Recycle Bin

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted folders in Recycle Bin: I have one, two and occasionally three unwanted folders which regularly but not always, re-appear in my Recycle Bin. I have tried deleting them separately. Restoring them doesn't make them appear back in their original place. They were all created, used and deleted empty over...
  5. Lost folder in recycle bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost folder in recycle bin: I accidentally dragged my folder with important contents into the recycle bin. Now I have a copy of the folder on my desktop, but when I click on it, it says: The item 'folder' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will not work properly. Do...
  6. Hiding recycle bin without windows activated?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hiding recycle bin without windows activated?: Basically the title, is there any way? submitted by /u/jazzzley [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k9l8zl/hiding_recycle_bin_without_windows_activated/
  7. Cannot empty the recycle bin

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot empty the recycle bin: This happens when I try to Empty the Recycle Bin: [ATTACH] The System Summary shows: Windows 10 Pro. Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041. Windows Update shows the system is up to date....
  8. System Volume Info & Recycle Folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Volume Info & Recycle Folder: System Volume Info & Recycle Folder are suddenly showing up in my external USB Drive. How can I delete these? Thanks 113051
  9. Stop Creating Recycle Bin and System Information in USBs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop Creating Recycle Bin and System Information in USBs: Hi Guys, I hope I've asked this in the right channel. Through googling, I found a tutorial on how to prevent Windows from creating Recycle Bin and System Information folder in USBs by using the Group Policy Editor. Since I'm on Windows 10 Home edition, I do not have the...
  10. System volume information folder questions

in Windows 10 Support
    System volume information folder questions: First question, the winre.wim file is at 96% fragmented and I cannot defrag the system information folder. How can I get that fragmented file to defrag? Second question, I have unchecked the hidden system folder so I can try and delete the system volume folder, which...