Windows 10: I cannot see any password box when waking up my laptop from sleep.

Discus and support I cannot see any password box when waking up my laptop from sleep. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Whenever I put my computer to sleep and try to wake it up again, I can click the screen or press a button on my keyboard to access the login screen,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by stevekh11, Nov 22, 2016.

1. stevekh11 Win User

I cannot see any password box when waking up my laptop from sleep.

Whenever I put my computer to sleep and try to wake it up again, I can click the screen or press a button on my keyboard to access the login screen, but there will not be a password box that shows up. I try to type in my password, but there is no response. If I let the login time out after some time, the screen resets to the original login screen before I had clicked or hit anything on my keyboard. A hard reset will correct the problem, but the problem starts again when I enter sleep mode again. I've tried chkdsk /r, sfc /scannow, all the DISM commands, and an in-place upgrade last night. I really don't want to completely reinstall my system, but it seems like I might have to after this. The only thing I think caused this problem was when I changed the permissions of my boot drive to set me as the owner. I eventually reset the permissions, but that didn't help either. You are my last bastion of hope!

:)

stevekh11, Nov 22, 2016

2. Windows 10 does not require a password option, when waking up from sleep.

Old title: win-10-does-not-require-a-password-when-waking

I cannot set windows 10 to require a password or pin when waking from sleep. I see this as a breach in security.

Does any one have a resolve for this?

Dr Horton_1958, Nov 22, 2016
  3. furdeal Win User
    Windows 10 requires password now on startup

A few weeks ago I temporarily set my computer to require entering my Microsoft password upon waking the computer up from sleep (in settings, accounts, sign-in options, when PC wakes up from sleep). After I later restored the settings to "never," my computer
    no longer requires a password to wake up from sleep, but on startup I receive a message that says "We are unable to connect right now. Please check your network and try again later." When I press the OK button I am forced to log in with my password. I have
    used the “netplwiz” command to ensure that the box requiring password on startup is unchecked.

furdeal, Nov 22, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Modify the registry settings and check.
    Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the article:
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
    a. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    b. Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    c. Create and/or edit the following string (REG_SZ) value names with the appropriate values as described below.
    > DefaultUserName: account user name
    > DefaultPassword: account password
    > DefaultDomainName: account domain, or machine name (if not using domains)
    > AutoAdminLogon: set this value to 1

spunk, Nov 22, 2016
  5. stevekh11 Win User
    What if I do want to type in a password every time my computer is locked or wakes up from sleep though? Doesn't that registry line just make my system less secure in a general sense?

stevekh11, Nov 22, 2016
  6. stevekh11 Win User
    I just tried your suggestion regardless and the problem persists.

stevekh11, Nov 22, 2016
  7. Did you changed the owner of the C:\ drive or all its subfolder? By default, the owner is TrustedInstaller and make sure you change it back.

michielsen, Nov 22, 2016
  8. stevekh11 Win User

I changed it to myself, but reverted it back to TrustedInstaller once I realized that that might be the cause. The damage might have already been done however...

stevekh11, Nov 22, 2016
  9. Could you see your account icon on the login screen? If there is no account icon, it's possible that you're stuck at the lock screen, not the login screen.

michielsen, Nov 22, 2016
  10. stevekh11 Win User
    Yeah, that could be the case as I cannot see any details regarding my user account. How would I go about fixing this?

stevekh11, Nov 22, 2016
  11. michielsen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I cannot see any password box when waking up my laptop from sleep. - Similar Threads - cannot password box

2. BSOD when waking up laptop from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when waking up laptop from sleep: I am currently using a DELL laptop. When I try to wake up my laptop, it takes up around 10 seconds to display the lock screen. However, sometimes the laptop would just crash, leaving a blue screen with this stop code behind: WIN32K_POWER_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. Here is a link to my...
  3. BSOD when waking up laptop from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when waking up laptop from sleep: I am currently using a DELL laptop. When I try to wake up my laptop, it takes up around 10 seconds to display the lock screen. However, sometimes the laptop would just crash, leaving a blue screen with this stop code behind: WIN32K_POWER_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. Here is a link to my...
  4. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Hello, hope you can help me when my Asus laptop lid is closed using an outside keyboard and screenand I put it to sleep. when I wish it to wake up, I must open the lid to do so.is there a way to wake it up without open the lid?when it sleeps it does not respond to the outside...
  5. My laptop refuses to wake up from sleep?

My laptop refuses to wake up from sleep?: I am currently using a razer blade 15 advanced edition laptop which I purchased in november 2020. The machine is running windows 10 home edition. Around a week or so ago, I started having problems with the device not turning on after it went into sleep mode. I would try to...
  6. BSOD when laptop wakes up from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when laptop wakes up from sleep: I've bought a new laptop (Lenovo S540 (AMD)) recently, but encountered a BSOD of the following bug code [ATTACH] And this is the windows version [ATTACH] And dump file LAPTOP-JAMAEQ11-(2020-11-20_18-51-56).zip - Google Drive Any help would be greatly appreciated,...
  7. HP laptop cannot wake up from sleep

HP laptop cannot wake up from sleep: Good day, folks. The laptop was working fine until it went to sleep; then the screen remains blank even I do the followings:- 1. press the power button until the laptop powers off, but when I release the button, the laptop will power up screen remains blank, only the...
  8. Laptop waking up from sleep

Laptop waking up from sleep: I'm using windows 10 pro on a gigabyte aero-15-x9. I checked whether there are any active wake timers in cmd using powercfg -waketimers and it says there are no active wake timers, and I also disabled wake timers in the power config. However, my laptop still turns on while...
  9. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Since the Windows 10 May 2019 update, the laptop cannot wake up when the lid is opened. The power button lights up and fans start up but the screen stays black and the computer doesn't respond to any button (not even the power button which would normally put it to sleep), or...
  10. sleep wake up with no password

in Windows 10 Support
    sleep wake up with no password: hello what im after is a way to start the computer when its in sleep mode in windows 10 when im not at home so i can use a remote to assess the computer but im getting stuck when restarting asking for a password. im using task scheduler to create task to start with no problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot see password box