Windows 10: I do not have a dual boot screen

Discus and support I do not have a dual boot screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just installed Windows Insider on new computer - drive 0. Drive 1 is my Windows Creator. After the install of Insider, I do not have a dual boot screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by magilla, May 10, 2017.

1. magilla Win User

I do not have a dual boot screen

Just installed Windows Insider on new computer - drive 0. Drive 1 is my Windows Creator. After the install of Insider, I do not have a dual boot screen that comes up. I have a feeling it has something to do with UEFI but I don't know what. Any Ideas? What can I do to make the menu appear?

:)

magilla, May 10, 2017
  2. hrostoke Win User

Surface Pro 3 with Win 10 when connected Dual display, can't see the login screen, it is seen on a single display.

Original title: Surface Pro 3 with Win 10 and Dual Monitor

I have Surface Pro 3 . I have Win 10. When connected to dual display - userid and password fields do not show. When only Surface 3 screen is running , then fields show. This happens on boot up and lock screen. I need to remove second screen cable and
    then field shows on surface screen. Any idea how to get dual screen to show fields.

hrostoke, May 10, 2017
  3. Martmcd Win User
    I have a dual boot on my PC. Can I keep my Windows 8.1 and upgrade my Windows 10 Pro Insiders version?

That's fine Andre but unless you remain an insider it WILL expire.

Martmcd, May 10, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

What drive letter is the second Windows installation appearing as? Let's say it is D: drive. From a Command Prompt (Admin) run:

bcdboot D:\Windows /d /addlast

Adjust the path in red to match the second Windows installation.
    EasyBCD is an easy way to rename the boot menu entries:
    EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

NavyLCDR, May 10, 2017
  5. magilla Win User
    after doing this, I get this message after the Asus boot screen appears:
    >>Checking Media Presence ........
    >>Media Present .......
    >>Start PXE over IPv4.
    The system booted into the Insider disk. No menu. From the insider disk, I added the bcdboot command again in that partition and now I get the Asus boot screen followed by the message I indicated above, followed by a windows selection menu, and when I select, I get another of the Asus boot screens followed by the message above and finally the selection I made. Wow. It works but it takes so much time I could drink a cup of coffee. Thanks for your help NavyLCDR.

magilla, May 10, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, May 10, 2017
  7. magilla Win User
    I do not have a dual boot screen [​IMG]

Here you go.

magilla, May 10, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

It looks like you have a mix of UEFI and legacy BIOS booting. Disk 0 appears to be an MBR partitioned drive set up to boot in legacy (also called CSM) mode, and disk 1 is set up to boot in UEFI mode. If you open a Command Prompt (Admin) and run:

diskpart
    list disk

Which drives have asterisks (*) in the GPT column?

The first thing I would do is going into UEFI settings and make sure it is set for UEFI booting only. There should be a tab for boot mode and it may show something like CSM booting with enable or disabled, you want that disabled. If it says anything about legacy mode booting you want that disabled. Or it my be a dropdown box, and you want UEFI only.

Then you will want to adjust your boot order in UEFI, and make sure Windows Boot Manager is set to the first item in the order. If you have more than one Windows Boot Manager listed, you want the one that seems to be attached to drive 1 (it is probably SATA Port 2, so you might see P2 in the description or something like that). You want to disable any reference to Network or PXE booting. It might be an enable/disable switch, or delete it from the boot order.

I think the Network or PXE boot option being enabled and too high in the boot order list in UEFI settings is probably your main culprit because the UEFI firmware is trying to boot over the network first and it is only after that fails that it is moving on to the hard drive to boot from.

NavyLCDR, May 10, 2017
  9. magilla Win User
    @NavyLCDR - thanks for this info. I have rearrange the boot order and changed my CSM setting and used Macrium Reflect to redo my boot and now have a system that boots to a menu that allows me to select Insider disk and Windows Creators disk. Thank you for your help.

magilla, May 10, 2017
  10. This is a perfect example of why virtualization has replaced dual-booting!

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I do not have a dual boot screen - Similar Threads - dual boot screen

2. How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I standardize the dual boot selection screen: Hi, I have a Win10 and Win8.1 dual boot system. When the system boots I usually get this screen. [img] Rarely do I get the screen I would like to standardize on. [img] How do I get the system to always use the GUI vs Console version of the boot select screen. Thanks...
  3. Dual Screens have stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Screens have stopped working: On my display settings I keep getting my second screen trying to be bought into action and then disappearing. It is like the detection finds it but cannot hold onto it and the connection is dropped. This has happened after a Windows update today. Any clues?...
  4. Windows boot screen installer Dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows boot screen installer Dual boot: When I saw this I instantly force shut down and booted my mxlinux. All the files were safe of both windows and Linux. This problem occured after I ran a command that was supposed to fix the problem of me having different time in Linux and window on dual boot. The command:...
  5. Dual Booting

Dual Booting: I have Windows 10 set in msconfig as my default operating system. When I turn on the computer I get the black Boot Manager screen and if I want Windows 7 I have to use the up arrow and hit enter. my question is how do you get that blue screen with both operating systems in a...
  6. How do I repair a dual boot system.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I repair a dual boot system.: I have Windows 7 and 10 on a SSD PC (c:) but I keep getting a report that files are corrupt. My system boots fine but I no longer see the dual boot screen at startup. If I'm running MS Solitaire Collection card games my the games crash sometimes. I have the original Win 7...
  7. I have a dual boot with win7 & 10.

I have a dual boot with win7 & 10.: Well I started to use the crappy one {10} since you aren't going to support your best product ever. Well as soon as I got using it for first time it crashed. And now I can't get either os to work. And I also forget how to change the command prompt. And what drive will my...
  8. New I have a dual boot with two SSD

New I have a dual boot with two SSD: I have a dual boot with two SSD. On both are W10 systems, let's say W10 and W10 test. Till yesterday it worked as follows: booting up bios; Bios (or DOS?) screen in which to select which OS. After selection immediately the selected OS system started. Today I updated W10 test...
  9. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: This is a two part question, and please note I do not have Win10 myself. In fact I do not have direct access to the computer I am talking about although I do have the full technical details of it, including all drivers, etc. Firstly, If Win10 is already installed on a...
  10. How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC

How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC: Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear. I want to install all the programs I want on Partition F (while booted into it). This is my clean install. When they all work as I want them to, I intend to delete the current partition C: (the old installation) and just use the clean...