Windows 10: I knew I shouldn't have upgraded to Win 10

Discus and support I knew I shouldn't have upgraded to Win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I finally took the plunge and upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. Win 7 was really working good. Very fast and responsive. No problems but NOT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by collieman2, Jan 3, 2016.

1. I knew I shouldn't have upgraded to Win 10

Hi everyone, I finally took the plunge and upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. Win 7 was really working good. Very fast and responsive. No problems but NOT anymore. Backed up my partition and all my important files. The upgrade went well. Win 10 seemed to install OK. Didn't notice anything except it seemed to take an extra long time for the installation. But it finally installed. Set my reso and switched to "best performance". Set up my task bar to my liking plus a few other tweaks that I've used in the past. Right away I noticed that the responsiveness was waaaaaay down. The hard drive keeps clicking for about 6 minutes until it stops after booting. Takes a long time for a window to open like opening a jpeg. Boot up is now VERY slow even with nothing installed. So I updated what drivers that could be updated but no change. Finding my way around on the new OS is no fun. Just about ready to restore Win 7. Running a 2.8 dual-core (over clocked from 2.6) with 4 gigs of ddr2 on a Biostar G31-M7-TE mobo with integrated graphics with a WD 200 gig HD. Never tried win 8 because of all the bad publicity about it. Wondering if I could download the upgrade again. Maybe something is corrupted in the download? Anybody have any thoughts as to what to try.

:)

collieman2, Jan 3, 2016
  2. Arun B J Win User

I upgraded to win 10 from win 8.1 and now I have a blinking desktop screen with no icons

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue .

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below

• Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:
      • To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, Display Port to VGA, or any other combination.
    • Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.
    To enter into Safe Mode in Windows 10, follow the steps given below.

• Restart your PC.
    • Press Shift + F8 before the Windows logo appears.
    • Click See Advanced Repair Options.
    • Click Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced Options.
    • Click Windows Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart.
    • You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode or
      Safe Mode with Networking
      (depending on whether you think you’ll need the Internet)
    1. Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video

2. Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters

If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)

If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.

Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jan 3, 2016
  3. I upgraded to win 10 from win 8.1 and now I have a blinking desktop screen with no icons

upgraded to win 10 from win 8.1 now all I have is blinking desktop screen with no icons and a continuously spinning blue circle!! unable to go beyond that,please help!!

stephen wierbonski, Jan 3, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

I knew I shouldn't have upgraded to Win 10

Yes, you can download last version of W10 and do clean install, that usually gets rid of problems caused by upgrading. If your present W10 is activated you can even skip entering registration during install.

CountMike, Jan 3, 2016
  5. collieman Win User
    I reinstalled Win 7 from my partition backup that I made with Aomei and all is well again. Where would I find Win 10 to download? I didn't know you could download Win 10. I will give it a try.

collieman, Jan 3, 2016
  6. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Jan 3, 2016
  7. CountMike;522886, Thanks for the link on the download. I didn't know you could do that. I download the 64bit ISO, . It took me 7 house with my slow DSL, and burned it to a DVD. Then installation went well But, it still takes a loooong time to boot. About 6 minutes for the hard drive to quiet down with nothing installed and not connected to the net. Very sluggish when using. I tried a program called "Driver Booster" to update the drivers. It updated about 8 drivers but the sluggishness still remains. Maybe 4 gigs of RAM aren't enough. Maybe I should have tried the 32 bit download. Don't know. But I'm disappointed that Win 10 isn't working as well as 7. Thinking about buying a newer, used motherboard from Ebay to try. This board I'm using is quad-core capable running at 1333. I think I'm running at 800 now. Might try something like that from Ebay. The onboard graphics (256 megs) aren't too bad here for what I do but maybe a better graphics card would help. But, it's Win 7 until I come up with something. Thanks guys.

collieman2, Jan 4, 2016
  8. groze Win User

Don't switch or buy motherboards. Then you would have to buy a new operating system. 4GB memory should work without any issue.

groze, Jan 4, 2016
  9. Slugger Win User
    Your hard drive is clicking? Image your drive with Macrium Reflect free Macrium Reflect Free

I would change out your hard drive. After you change out you hard drive and copy the image on your new drive; try the upgrade again.

You can Download Microsoft media creation tool to download the late Windows 10
    Scroll to bottom of page and click on Download tool now.

While in Win 7 run the new win 10 iso and proceed with the upgrade to Win 10. Check to see if Win 10 is activated .
    Start-> Settings-> Update and Security-> Activation. And make sure you don't hear any more clicking. You shouldn't with your new hard drive.

Now image the new Win 10 drive with Macrium reflect. Don't delete your win 7 image.

If you want to you can Reset this PC . This will delete everything that didn't come with Win 10. Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Boot up win 10, open the Win 10 image that you made and copy all your data back. Install all your programs, etc

Good luck. Always Make a backup

Slugger, Jan 4, 2016
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Not necessarily.

A clicking sound from a HDD however does not bode too well and requires a thorough health check.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 4, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    Which processor do you have there ?
    MB can take up to 1066MHz RAM but it wouldn't be much of improvement over 800MHz.
    What may be also holding you up is no dedicated GPU. Those IGPUs are terrible !!! Practically any card with 512 MB -1 GB would make wanders in graphic department.
    If HDD isn't in perfect condition it's going to be bad trouble too. Few relocated sectors and head has to swing all over the place to find data. At least defrag it with optimizing. This one: Download Free Disk SpeedUp - Defrag Disk for Best Performance | Glarysoft is pretty good.
    To chase down drivers: Slimware Utilities - Download SlimDrivers FREE is pretty safe.
    A while ago I banged up a 775MB with E5200 dual core, 2GB of RAM, NV 7300 gpu and it runs W10 like a champ.

CountMike, Jan 4, 2016
  12. I'm assuming that is still an HDD, so it will run slow regardless of what you do. Since it sounds like the drive is failing, now is a great time to upgrade to an SSD. Then, Windows 10's performance will really shine. I don't trust any programs to find drivers for me, though. I always get them myself directly from the source.

DeaconFrost, Jan 4, 2016
  13. CountMike New Member

He's got bigger problems now, GPU should be priority. IGPU is limited to 150MHz !!! Any dedicated card runs at 300 - 400 MHz in 2D.

CountMike, Jan 4, 2016
  14. If the drive is dying, I'd say that's his biggest issue. Loss of data would trump slow graphics in my book. I completely agree that a dedicated graphics card would help out tremendously, but once he has a stable system.

DeaconFrost, Jan 4, 2016
  15. Atomic77 Win User
    I am not 100% sure on this but any computer running less than 8.1 probably should be careful with the windows 10 upgrade process.

Atomic77, Jan 5, 2016
Thema:

1. I knew I shouldn't have upgraded to Win 10 - Similar Threads - knew shouldn't upgraded

2. I have win 8.1 and want to upgrade to win 10 home.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have win 8.1 and want to upgrade to win 10 home.: I have win 8.1 and want to upgrade to win 10 home. I have purchased a win 10 that uses a thumb drive means I cannot directly download win 10 at this point.. Do I just plugin the usb thumb drive to install win 10, and it will prompt me to next steps? Will this install over my...
  3. Auto upgrades that shouldn't

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto upgrades that shouldn't: I have HP desktop with I 4570. Microsoft or HP upgraded my computer to Windows 11. Now it won't install upgrades saying the computer can not support windows 11. Funny, but not amusing...
  4. Auto upgrades that shouldn't

Auto upgrades that shouldn't: I have HP desktop with I 4570. Microsoft or HP upgraded my computer to Windows 11. Now it won't install upgrades saying the computer can not support windows 11. Funny, but not amusing...
  5. If i have win 10 pro and i upgrade to win 11 will i be upgraded to win 11 pro or home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If i have win 10 pro and i upgrade to win 11 will i be upgraded to win 11 pro or home?: pretty much the title. I currently have win 10 pro and am curious if i will get upgraded to win 11 pro for free or just win 11 home. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-have-win-10-pro-and-i-upgrade-to-win-11-will/f8ac2091-0980-4452-9069-b59ec2057f62
  6. If i have win 10 pro and i upgrade to win 11 will i be upgraded to win 11 pro or home?

If i have win 10 pro and i upgrade to win 11 will i be upgraded to win 11 pro or home?: pretty much the title. I currently have win 10 pro and am curious if i will get upgraded to win 11 pro for free or just win 11 home. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/if-i-have-win-10-pro-and-i-upgrade-to-win-11-will/f8ac2091-0980-4452-9069-b59ec2057f62
  7. If i have win 10 pro and i upgrade to win 11 will i be upgraded to win 11 pro or home?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. I disabled some services I shouldn't have..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I disabled some services I shouldn't have..: Like the title says, I messed up something.. is it better to totally reinstall windows or try to run some services from cmd? any tip? submitted by /u/nikk2ez [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jiik0l/i_disabled_some_services_i_shouldnt_have/
  9. I should or I shouldn't ?!

I should or I shouldn't ?!: I see MS release the 1809 build I'm wondering if I should re-install windows 10 or keep windows 7 ?! oh PS my computer hardware can perfectly handle windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-should-or-i-shouldnt/9136bb70-9841-4544-9b73-1da26695b9d0
  10. Should I or Shouldn't I

Should I or Shouldn't I: I have been hearing alot on privacy issues within windows 10 and that microsoft has the ability to remove software from your computer if it has detected an invalid license and such. i keep getting the icon telling me not to miss my chance to upgrade to windows 10 but at the...