Windows 10: I want to REALLY disable drag and drop

Discus and support I want to REALLY disable drag and drop in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I sometimes inadvertently move folders around in Windows 10 without being aware of it. When I do, it often takes a long time to fix. Some of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by arnoldh, Mar 20, 2020.

1. arnoldh Win User

I want to REALLY disable drag and drop

I sometimes inadvertently move folders around in Windows 10 without being aware of it. When I do, it often takes a long time to fix. Some of the suggestions on how to fix this are along the lines of "Just don't do it", not very helpful. Much more useful is to change the drag and drop sensitivity, here for example. But I'd much rather turn the drag and drop feature off completely. It has caused me a lot of problems.

For example, I inadvertently moved a folder used for backup of my Thunderbird email client inside another Thunderbird folder without being aware of it. How did I do this? Simple. I have three monitors. The right had one was displaying Thunderbird with its folder pane on the left of the monitor. On the middle monitor I was using the scroll bar on the right to move down a web page. I must have moved the mouse a millimeter to the right of the browser monitor and picked up the Thunderbird folder in the adjacent monitor. I was looking at the browser, not the monitor to the right, and didn't notice I'd moved a folder until a few days later when I noticed Thunderbird backups weren't working.

I have increased the drag and drop sensitivity a lot, but I'd much rather stop folders being moved at all. Does anyone know if it's possible to disable it in Windows 10?

:)

arnoldh, Mar 20, 2020

2. Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, Mar 20, 2020
  3. Win User
  4. I want to REALLY disable drag and drop

Unable to drag and drop on Windows 10.

Original Title: Drag and drop at windows 10

i just want to ask you microsoft, why we cant drag and drop???

thats so stuped step to disable the option.

i use adobe photoshop, and with our this option, i cant working!

any answer??? why????

AvrahamSabach, Mar 20, 2020
Thema:

I want to REALLY disable drag and drop

1. I want to REALLY disable drag and drop - Similar Threads - REALLY disable drag

2. Disable Drag & Drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Drag & Drop: Hi,I want to disable the Drag 'n' Drop feature in Windows Server 2019, which seems the option in gpedit.msc is not available for Win Server 2019Also, I tried the registry option I found on the Internet but not working either, please advise...
  3. Disable Drag & Drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Drag & Drop: Hi,I want to disable the Drag 'n' Drop feature in Windows Server 2019, which seems the option in gpedit.msc is not available for Win Server 2019Also, I tried the registry option I found on the Internet but not working either, please advise...
  4. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  5. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  6. I want to REALLY disable drag and drop

in Windows 10 Support
    I want to REALLY disable drag and drop: I sometimes inadvertently move folders around in Windows 10 without being aware of it. When I do, it often takes a long time to fix. Some of the suggestions on how to fix this are along the lines of "Just don't do it", not very helpful. Much more useful is to change the drag...
  7. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  8. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324
  9. drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drag and drop: How do I fix the drag and drop function on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/4f64f2ff-0a7d-45c6-9c26-fc131a8fd7b6
  10. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drag and drop: Hi. I have dell inspiron with windows 10. . I used to be able to drag and drop using the left click on the touch pad, but now its not working. I can do shift and use the arrows to mark the text to copy, and then move it copy etc. but in many cases I just need to left click...