Windows 10: Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book

Discus and support Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have stumbled on a quite peculiar problem. I have a 1st generation Surface Book with a fully updated Windows 10. I installed a game from Steam Dark... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BriareosKerensky, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book

I have stumbled on a quite peculiar problem.

I have a 1st generation Surface Book with a fully updated Windows 10.

I installed a game from Steam Dark Souls II, then alt+tabbed it, and after that desktop icons become "broken".

All desktop icons were grouped at the same location, one above the other. Their active area spanned the whole screen, not just the icon.

Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book LOPkJIe.jpg

The image above shows me hovering the mouse cursor on top of the screen, the icon itself is nowhere to be seen, but its active area spans the whole top row.

I've tried to hide system desktop icons My Computer and Recycle Bin and delete all programs shortcuts, and then add again, but the problem was the same. I tried to change resolution, DPI scaling, connect another monitor, restart, shut down, enter tablet mode, with no success in resolving the problem.

I also tried to restart the game, change game resolution settings, alt+tab again, but the problem stayed the same.

In the dialog to show system desktop icons, I noticed that icons aren't shown...or probably are but I can't find them.

Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book nxG61Xx.jpg

Anyone got an idea on how to solve this?

Thank you.

:)

BriareosKerensky, Dec 22, 2019

2. "Surface Detach" Icon Removal on Surface Book Taskbar

Hi,

As per the description I understand that you are trying to remove the Surface detach icon from the Taskbar on your Surface device, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to disable it and check if it helps.

You will have to disable the Surface DTX. Follow:

• Press and hold (or right-click) the taskbar and select Task Manager.
    • In Task Manager, select the Startup tab.
    • Check if the Surface DTX status is shown as Disabled.
    • Close Task Manager.
    • Go to Start
      Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book f7c7fdba-6df5-43d9-a333-f8148a96bfa5.png
      , and select
      Power > Restart to restart your Surface Book.

Hope it helps. Let us know for further assistance on accessing the Surface device, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Weird alt-tab out of fullscreen games.

Hi Simon,

The multitasking capability of a game depends on the total memory of your computer. If you have large amounts of RAM on your computer, it can multitask heavy programs easily like high-end games. To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution
    for your concerns with the alt-tab function, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • When did the issue start?
    • Have you pressed the alt-tab key during you play Rainbow Six Siege? Or it just happen without pressing it?
    • Does the automatic ALT-TAB behavior happens on other games?
    • Do you have any other programs running on your computer while playing?
    • What is the anti-virus program you're using?
    • What is your device or system specifications? To know, follow these steps:
      1. Press Windows + S and type
        About your PC
      2. Send us the information listed under Device specifications.

Moving forward, if you're multitasking while playing, we recommend that you play this game only without doing other tasks. Pressing ALT-TAB or performing a multitasking interferes with the performance of your video card, especially if you're running a heavy
    game like Rainbow Six Siege. It will generate screen viewing issues like intermittently switching your game screen between your desktop environment.

For now, restart your game and do not press ALT+TAB while playing. This will allow your video card to dedicate its graphics performance on the game only instead of your desktop environment.

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Johann Eva, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book

Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book - Feb. 13

Source: Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book (13 February 2018) Surface

See also:

Brink, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book

1. Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book - Similar Threads - Icons broken alt

2. game alt + tab lag

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    game alt + tab lag: hello,I have this reoccurring issue with most, if not all, games on my pc. When I have a full screen game open and try to alt + tab into\out of the game the screen goes dark for a few seconds 2-3 usually and then goes through with the action. Any sounds active during that...
  3. game alt + tab lag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game alt + tab lag: hello,I have this reoccurring issue with most, if not all, games on my pc. When I have a full screen game open and try to alt + tab into\out of the game the screen goes dark for a few seconds 2-3 usually and then goes through with the action. Any sounds active during that...
  4. game alt + tab lag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Fullscreen games do not respond after ALT + TAB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fullscreen games do not respond after ALT + TAB: After reinstalling Windows 10, I started seeing this problem. All my games have the problem of being labeled as "Not responding" and not allowing to maximize them after being minimized, after trying for about 30 seconds clicking on their icon in the task bar and using alt +...
  6. Fullscreen games do not respond after ALT + TAB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fullscreen games do not respond after ALT + TAB: After reinstalling Windows 10, I started seeing this problem. All my games have the problem of being labeled as "Not responding" and not allowing to maximize them after being minimized, after trying for about 30 seconds clicking on their icon in the task bar and using alt +...
  7. PC crashes after closing a game or alt tabbing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashes after closing a game or alt tabbing: Whenever I finish closing a game or alt tabbing out of a game after playing for a while, the pc will go black and audio will still come through but the pc will be unresponsive. I have already tried reinstalling the gpu drivers and installing the latest bios that I could. I...
  8. "Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Alt-Tab" impacts Gaming performance: This issue seems to be noticed and cared by very few users on Windows. Users who multitask Alt-Tab when playing games, are vulnerable to this problem. I have been noticing inconsistencies in input latency, bad frame pacing etc., regardless of "Fullscreen optimizations"...
  9. Alt-Tab broken after Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Alt-Tab broken after Windows update: I just had to update to version 1903 of Windows 10 Pro on my laptop as apparently the version that was installed previously will no longer be supported. And now the Alt-Tab feature seems to be broken. How do I fix it?...
  10. Windows broken after Surface Book update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows broken after Surface Book update: I’m having a problem with my 1st gen Surface Book running windows 10, where I get a black screen with only a (moveable) cursor on screen for about 10 minutes, before the login screen is displayed and windows starts up. This happened before, and I eventually just gave in and...